Today's Performance | Vital Football

Today's Performance

Therealwaldo

Vital Squad Member
Yet more evidence of the spirit running through the side. Not a very fluent performance with Peterborough looking the more fluent footballing side. However, yet again at home we finished the stronger side and just about deserved our point.

Holy 7 safe handling on a difficult day for keepers.

O'Neill 7 usual solid defensive display.

Ehmer 8 has to get an extra point for that centre forward' finish. Otherwise strong as ever at the heart of the defence.

Zakuani 7 looked back to his usual self today but calm distribution from the back is not really his game.

Hessenthaler 7 got sponsors man if the match and this was a busy, committed performance. Hess is now performing on a more consistent basis.

Byrne 7.5 excellent as a defensive midfielder but like the rest of midfield did not perhaps do quite enough from an attacking point of view.

Reilly 7 neat and tidy on the ball. Did ok without setting the world alight.

List 6.5 started well but drifted out of the game as it went on.

Parker 7 put in a lot of effort but struggled to get many clear cut chances. Did he score ? Might have but he should have buried the header.

Eaves 7 usual powerful performance with little help from the ref.

Subs

Ogilvie 7 did well in our strong finish.

Wilkinson 7 nice touches and caused Peterborough a few more problems when he came on.

Referee and assistants 2 totally inconsistent.

Another point nearer safety which must be the top priority. UTG

I thought List made a few good runs maybe worth better than you marked him .Other than that fully support your comments .Thanks again .Agree Max was man of the match there was also a great clearance during the second half where Posh looked certain to score .

The lads again showed that never say die attitude that will keep us up at very least .

I agree, I thought List was probably our biggest threat up front in the first half (although admittedly that's not saying much). Some good runs from him down the right, although the end product of a half decent cross was still missing much of the time.

Therealwaldo - 10/2/2018 17:41

Yet more evidence of the spirit running through the side. Not a very fluent performance with Peterborough looking the more fluent footballing side. However, yet again at home we finished the stronger side and just about deserved our point.

Holy 7 safe handling on a difficult day for keepers.

O'Neill 7 usual solid defensive display.

Ehmer 8 has to get an extra point for that centre forward' finish. Otherwise strong as ever at the heart of the defence.

Zakuani 7 looked back to his usual self today but calm distribution from the back is not really his game.

Hessenthaler 7 got sponsors man if the match and this was a busy, committed performance. Hess is now performing on a more consistent basis.

Byrne 7.5 excellent as a defensive midfielder but like the rest of midfield did not perhaps do quite enough from an attacking point of view.

Reilly 7 neat and tidy on the ball. Did ok without setting the world alight.

List 6.5 started well but drifted out of the game as it went on.

Parker 7 put in a lot of effort but struggled to get many clear cut chances. Did he score ? Might have but he should have buried the header.

Eaves 7 usual powerful performance with little help from the ref.

Subs

Ogilvie 7 did well in our strong finish.

Wilkinson 7 nice touches and caused Peterborough a few more problems when he came on.

Referee and assistants 2 totally inconsistent.

Another point nearer safety which must be the top priority. UTG

Thanks, Waldo, but you seem to have omitted a mark and opinion on Garmston?

I thought Garmston was good going forward with a couple of really good crosses in the second half .He handled the defensive duties well although he did get caught up field a couple of times .Based on the other scores he has to be worth a 7 maybe more .

List's first half performance was his best yet, I thought, although as Madrid says, there wasn't much end product, but I think that was partly due to the conditions, and also the other forwards looking out of sorts in the first half. I think he was fading in the second half and SL was right to take him off, but he's clearly learning.

Overall, no-one was really outstanding and no-one was really poor. The weather was shit, the pitch looked slippery as hell, Peterborough made it hard for us and in the end it was a good point gained.

Let me add my two pennies worth
Zakuini is killing our attacking options - when we have possession from the keeper the two full backs should go high and wide whilst the two centre backs should split. Zakuini goes straight to their centre forward and stands on him and kills our a movement from the back.
Now List was supposed to play off Eaves but all he did was stand out wide right and it left Eaves running his nuts off in all forward positions.
WE badly missed Martin today as he actually does understand midfield play. Hess and Byrne do not get on the ball and use it well. They don't know how to switch play. Hess doesn't look totally ft to me.
So because Zakuini isn't comfortable on the ball - its like a hot potato for him it kills our two full backs and they end up receiving it deeper than they should. Garmston and O'neil should be receiving it higher up the pitch.
My next point is that when our full backs or wingers put good crosses into the box Eaves and Parker never attack the crossed ball Where are they ?

Cheers Waldo. Even though Garmston is a forgotten man your scores are always the best (for home games). No others cut the mustard for me.Would you start giving refs and linesmen marks out of ten too please.

I was glad when Posh finally scored. As usual it was the kickstart for us to get going. Up to that point we conceded too much ground in midfield and didn't close down quick enough. Thought we missed Martin but once again a side that were on top for most of the game only left with a point.
PS I don't think the ball was over the line.

Apologies to Bradley ! What was I thinking !

Garmston 7 although he didn't do anything wrong, he still looks a little lacking in confidence to me. The evidence is the lack of those penetrating forward runs that are his trademark. Perhaps it comes from protecting his hamstrings.

Zakuani is one of the best "destructive" players I've ever seen at Gillingham. If he had any kind of distribution he wouldn't be playing for us. You have to weigh up the pros and cons, and I think SL knows what he's doing.

well Zakuini is' destructive' to us when we are moving forwards -
Lets not forget the atrocious conditions and sand pit pitch

Cheers Waldo, much appreciated.

What did everyone think of the two posh superstars Maddison and Marriott? Did we do anything differently to snuff out their threat?

As above we didn?t play with any urgency until they scored. They started much brighter than us, it would make a nice change for us to start the better at home.
Too much long ball for Eaves in first half, and no one close enough to him to pick up the knock downs.
I thought it was a goal on Parker?s 2nd misshit attempt as the goalkeeper fell backwards over the line. Camera angle is from the opposite side and inconclusive.
Ehmer as the emergency centre forward came to the rescue after one of their defenders played it straight into his path.
Not pretty but another point towards safety- in conditions that were somehow even worse than the last home match. Soaked to the skin again!

I won't rate each player but I thought we were just about value for a point. In the first half we were clearly second best, but after they scored we put the pressure on and finally got our reward. Thought the non-given goal was a tight one but looked over the line for me, but Parker should have buried the initial chance, the Eaves incident afterward was blatent but those types of infringements never seem to get given. List was a little unfortunate to be taken off but it's good to see Wagstaff back and playing, long may it continue. We missed Martin today, and we miss Bingham more generally for the ability to pass the ball from the midfield (who all worked hard today but are not natural "playmakers"). Overall I'll take a point, onwards and upwards.

With such generosity in terms of awarding points, one would have thought we'd fought hard to get a 2:1 win against an in-form team. Maybe I'm missing something.

Thought we did ok in difficult conditions. Whilst we never set the world alight I thought eventually, after a poor first half, we did enough to deserve a point.

Think Hess deserved his MOM for his tireless work rate today and IMO he was the best of our midfield.

Thought List did ok in the first half when most others seem to struggle and then when the team improved second half List seemed a bit lost. At times to me today he just didn't look like he knew where he was supposed to be or what he was meant to be doing.

Can't believe how shit the officials were today, no consistency whatsoever. After today I think I might just have to allow myself actually agree with Darren Ferguson regarding his comments on the standard of referees.

As for Parkers effort, he should have buried the initial header, but from where I sat the keeper was sat in the net ( almost with his back against the back of the net) and stopped it with his hands out in front of him. Am fairly confident in saying I thought it was in but may be proved wrong by replays.

As for Peterboroughs timewasting, ha, wankers. How many times have we seen it come back to bite teams on the arse. Think for the money they've invested they were average.

Kettners, if after everything that went on today you've picked on Zakuani being the cause of our faltering offensive play, you must be on a wind up. Can't even be bothered to dissect your post, but you always see the negative. Thought our full backs were ok today and there were far more obvious things to moan rant about than Zakuani, but each to their own .

Think most would see it as a point gained in difficult conditions.

Sponsors got MoM spot on for me, Hess is looking much better with Reilly covering the left side. Zakouani delivers so much basic defensive play that he can be forgiven his "distribution", a couple of blocks today were superb. Parker's poor form continued today and regrettably he had our best two chances and fluffed them. We are a very hard side to beat, who would ever have predicted that happening.

Wayne.Kerr - 10/2/2018 19:41

With such generosity in terms of awarding points, one would have thought we'd fought hard to get a 2:1 win against an in-form team. Maybe I'm missing something.

Is that any more or less generous in relation to the only match you went to this season where you gave everyone nine out of ten?

Posh player scores according to their local paper:
Bond 6
Baldwin 7.5
Taylor 7.5
Shepherd 7
Ward 7
Grant 8
Doughty 7
Lloyd 8
Marriott 7
Bogle 6

Anyone would have thought they won 2:1 !

??????