Today’s game. | Page 3 | Vital Football

Today’s game.

Lads, I understand what you both say about the team, manager and performance and if you're that dead set against Evans then all we can hope is that he proves you wrong.
BUT, to cheer an opposition goal or berate the players or manager one game in is unacceptable in my book. I keep reading that yesterday's performance was "same old Gills home performance", well the players (even the new ones) will be aware of last season and maybe they'll be thinking "same old home fans". It's a road that runs both ways I'm afraid, the fans need to get behind the team or it becomes more like an away game (maybe explains the better away performance?).
Why not try a little less stick.and a bit more carrot and just help them along the way ffs.

I sit in the RE and I didn't hear anyone cheering their goals. Must have been a tiny number.

I did hear the fans sing "stevie give us a wave" which he did.

I think its all been a bit blown out of proportion.

As I said on another thread I was quiet yesterday. I am a bit deaf so I find it hard to join in with anything other than clapping anyway.Especially as I sit to the left side of the Rainham end. If fans did cheer the Burton goal perhaps it was out of frustration. They were promised so much not least on here.By that time clearly things were not going to plan.Early on both before and after the goal we scored fans seemed loud and proud.I do agree with the two years plus of home frustration getting to both players and fans.I do wonder if too many players were playing for themselves so to speak. With others sitting on the bench wanting their chance to impress. There will be a certain amount of lack of bonding with few knowing what their team mates will do.And some perhaps too intent on their own game.There did seem to be loads of players trying to make their individual impact .At this stage they are still getting to know each other. In what was only there second competitive match together.

A few people, myself included, did clap the first goal. I think when the second goal went it, the groans were really loud, maybe some thought people were cheering?

Oh fuck off! NEVER in a million years will you see me jump and down when the opposition score against Gillingham. And I'm very frustrated with the last few years of home performances...
I wasn't best placed to see or hear what happened so I will make no further comment .

A few people, myself included, did clap the first goal. I think when the second goal went it, the groans were really loud, maybe some thought people were cheering?

I clapped the first goal - it was a bloody decent goal (or flukey). Nothing to do with being anti- Evans. Infact I'd rather have Evans than Lovell.

I'll often clap the oppositions goals, doesn't mean I am glad it went in - just recognise decent football when I see it.

I know you weren't Chris, I accept that. However, you've justified cheering an opposition goal as okay because they may have been frustrated? We're all Gillingham supporters, remember.
I took the original comments to be a few fans perhaps doing something in a muted way.Perhaps was wrong in that assessment.

Glad to hear that it was, at least, a tiny minority if at all. Unfortunately, there'll always be a couple if idiots and you can't cure stupid ?

Glad to hear that it was, at least, a tiny minority if at all. Unfortunately, there'll always be a couple if idiots and you can't cure stupid ?
I really don't know how many were involved it certainly did not happen in the left side of the Rainham end that I saw.

I admit I did clap their first goal a little. Wouldn't dream of cheering the other team on

I admit I did clap their first goal a little. Wouldn't dream of cheering the other team on
I think I do remember playing in think it was Exeter when the totally demolished us at home.I believe that day was that bad many fans response was very much not normal.Just looked it up we lost 1-5 in 1980 i believe. And the year Northampton totally took us apart at their place. Our fans doing to conga and largely i would think trying to forget what a shambles was happening on the pitch. So anyone who thinks crazy behaviour has never happened before is wrong.

Last edited: