Today’s game. | Page 2 | Vital Football

Today’s game.

And Pavlov's Dogs in RE block 4 singing "there's only 1 Steve Evans.

Well thank fuck for that based on todays performance.

His team, his tactics, his motivation. Nothing changed.

Total pelt.

I'm optimistic. Yes, the ball was far too much in the air today in windy conditions. I thought Burton were a good side and had more chances to score, penalty miss etc. Our keeper looked very good today and I thought Fuller, as always was excellent. Most of the new boys looked ok (shame Cisse went off) but I don't know where our goals are going to come from. Thought our no.19 looks like Kevin Hart.
Can I have some of what you are on please?

Jackie Charlton once said"Our kid (bobby)can play.I can't but I can stop players playing".For me we did not we did not have anyone who stopped Burton playing.Once the team let in a goal visibly heads dropped. There does appear to be players who can play. But it was far too easy for Burton to out battle us for large parts of the game.

At least it seems the Evans/Raynor post match comments are brutally honest and accurate in pointing out our (many) basic faults. Same criticisms I had. Mercifully they didn't dare come out with any excuses.

Early days yet so I'm not panicking. However, now I'm a bit of a plastic I can't bring myself to watch shit like that every home game when it's the same as the previous 2 or 3 years of dross.

The weather wasn’t great today and whilst it was the same for both teams I think Burtons passing style was suited better to a windy day. Fully deservedly win and I don’t think we can have any complaints.

I fancied Burton to make the play offs at the beginning of the season but they then lost key players in Jamie Allen (Coventry) and Marcus Harness (Portsmouth). Whilst they’ll miss those players I still thought they looked very good today. Really like Liam Boyce, reminds me of Paul Shaw in they way he plays.

One thing I would question Evans’ judgement on: why is Mark Marshall starting over Elliot List? Happy to be corrected but he’s not had a full pre-season and is suddenly starting games over List. I have no problem with this when he’s fit but that’s surely a kick in the teeth for List?

On a positive note though, I have no doubt Evans will be able to improve on that - maybe not to watch but certainly effectiveness. Tuesday night won’t be one for the purists if we play like that again though.

The weather wasn’t great today and whilst it was the same for both teams I think Burtons passing style was suited better to a windy day. Fully deservedly win and I don’t think we can have any complaints.

I fancied Burton to make the play offs at the beginning of the season but they then lost key players in Jamie Allen (Coventry) and Marcus Harness (Portsmouth). Whilst they’ll miss those players I still thought they looked very good today. Really like Liam Boyce, reminds me of Paul Shaw in they way he plays.

One thing I would question Evans’ judgement on: why is Mark Marshall starting over Elliot List? Happy to be corrected but he’s not had a full pre-season and is suddenly starting games over List. I have no problem with this when he’s fit but that’s surely a kick in the teeth for List?

On a positive note though, I have no doubt Evans will be able to improve on that - maybe not to watch but certainly effectiveness. Tuesday night won’t be one for the purists if we play like that again though.

Thing is mate, what did List do when he came on to suggest he should be starting games? He goes looking for the ball when he should stick up top looking to get in on goal. I sat near the dugout today and Paul Raynor was constantly telling him to get forward.

bobby two things here:
1. Evans sees List as no more than an impact player as he plays with his head down. Quick yes but clever no !
2. Marshall is one of his disciples

Bring back Garmston, Ogilvie and Rees Mogg Cook next time and let the new players fight for a place.

If List is seen as an impact player then for starters he has to make himself available for that killer pass.

Day didn't start too well as walked into block 6 to find one person there, sat in my seat. When I checked the club had sold him the same seat as I have for my ST. Easily fixed as it was hardly a sell out and we found a spare seat in the block. Got chatting with him and he came up from Portsmouth for the game. Lost of a bit interest last season but like all of us felt more excited about this season so came back. I hope he travelled home OK, that's a long old trip when you've been served that sort of garbage !

Things can only get better right?

Think I have already posted on the wrong thread, we were shit don't make excuses, Evans is a twat and Scally's no better for appointing him. Relegation I fear with this lot,.

Couldn’t string more than 2 passes together, only shot on goal was the goal itself and priestfield was deader than I’ve ever seen it. Embarrassing. Everyone laughs at the Palace ultras but I would way much rather that than the morgue atmosphere of today. UTG
The atmosphere today was as no different to what it always is: Buzzing and noisy in the RE when we're winning, but as soon as we let a goal in it quietens down a lot, but to let 2 in on the trot was a killer today, it went quiet very quickly. I think we were all in a state of shock, losing to little Burton after all the pre match hype from Evans about how we're going to make Priestfield a fortress again! I assume you weren't there G I J, so you couldn't gage it.

Think I have already posted on the wrong thread, we were shit don't make excuses, Evans is a twat and Scally's no better for appointing him. Relegation I fear with this lot,.
As individuals many did OK as a group they were poor. There was also a serious lack of physical presence in the side.On top of that we have a real left side issue in my view. As well as a lack of leadership.With better team work in feel they will get mixed results. All the high praise for Evans was OTT in my view.There was a over expectation without a doubt.If Evans doesn't work in my view it is 100% down to Scally.He knew what he was buying into a long time before the ink was dry.Are the players Evans has brought in better than those who have already left the club? Yes in my view.
Perhaps he has acted rashly but that is Evans.Maybe he should reconsider some of the starting line up.Perhaps giving 4 or 5 a opportunity over the coming games might give us the right blend.

Thing is mate, what did List do when he came on to suggest he should be starting games? He goes looking for the ball when he should stick up top looking to get in on goal. I sat near the dugout today and Paul Raynor was constantly telling him to get forward.
I felt sorry for list. He's put on in midfield and got regularly bypassed. Whoever was on the ball just wanted to lump it into the mix. I'd have gone hunting for the ball too. Raynor might have wanted him more forward but he wouldn't have touched the ball.

I felt sorry for list. He's put on in midfield and got regularly bypassed. Whoever was on the ball just wanted to lump it into the mix. I'd have gone hunting for the ball too. Raynor might have wanted him more forward but he wouldn't have touched the ball.
Part of the problem was nobody was winning the ball in midfield.There appears to be a lot of very clever ball players and nobody to do the dirty work.Byrne isn't the best at it but he is miles better at the ugly stuff than anyone looked like being in our midfield in the first half. Oh for a young Paul Smith,Mark Saunders or someone of that type.

Reports on facebook (the root of all evil) say there were actually cheers in the RE when Burton scored. Anyone confirm this?
I know there are those against Evans' appointment but this is pathetic if true.

I also saw reports of this on Twitter mate. I agree, proper pathetic behaviour and embarrassing. I don't like Evans but I want us to be successful because in turn Gillingham will be successful.

I also saw tweets branding Gillingham fans singing Steve Evans name as a disgrace...& compared Evans to Jimmy Saville & Bin Laden. Ha ha.

I certainly wasn't signing Steve Evans name and he would probably have to do something exceptional like win us the league for me to even consider it...but people are acting very sensitive over a nasty bloke involved in football. I'd suggest football has never been high on the list for fantastic morals...

It shows how toxic our fan base has become though. I long for the days when it was an us vs the world attitude & the Rainham End sucking the ball into the net.

I really think we need a change at the top to kick on again, but obviously accept it 'could be worse' considering the likes of Bury & Bolton. We need fresh ideas though, home games have become stale for years, not weeks or months.
Bromley - I'm with you on the Evans front I'm not a fan either. There is no room in my book for fans in the main end giving Evans abuse like that. He has to be given a chance. However our big misgiving is that midfield of ours and I think we are all in agreement here ? If it doesn't function we are screwed. Normally this happens at home games. I guess no matter who you place in defence whether it be Danny Rose or Kieran Trippier or pick any central defenders you care to they are going to struggle with a poor midfield. To me this is the big frustration. I have seen Okeefe in two competitive league games and the friendlies and to be honest I haven't been impressed. Cisse although he does show signs of class is going to be one of those players who plays brilliantly in four/five games. His first two passes at Doncaster were drilled straight out for a throw in. He looks big and ungainly. All this said Evans has chosen these players and his neck is on the line and Scally in fairness has backed him. I cant see our fans giving him much time to turn it around. This is a very tough league if you don't get the basics right which we were nowhere near to getting right yesterday

Last edited: