Time for a new manager? | Page 32 | Vital Football

Time for a new manager?

I don't see Wolves as anything to shout about, in fact, I wouldn't be surprised to see them start to tumble down the league with questions being asked about this Nuno guy in charge.

I did enjoy writing that and not having to mention you know who :19:

sirdennis - 20/9/2017 20:48

Villan57 - 20/9/2017 18:26

sirdennis - 20/9/2017 15:47

Some good points by Merd but the examples used (Monk , Stam and Jokanovic) didn't achieve promotion either. Pochettino inherited clubs and squads that were in a far more stable state than us. I wonder if any of those would succeed and clubs like us and Sunderland who have been basket cases for a few years now.

I think the point is Sir Den they hit the ground running , and improved what was there without people making excuses about needing time .
BFR Little Gregory didn't take long to revive us when they first arrived , they just got on wheeling and dealing and playing their own style,
We don't seem to be improving after a year with Bruce

Yes i get that , but my point is they had a far better and more solid base to start from. No manager in recent times has had that with us , hence the reason they have all bombed.

It doesn't matter regarding the names on my previous post as there are many examples where managers have had instant success and conversely an equally long list where there has been no effect - Big Sam had a positive effect on Sunderland. The principle point here is that the right appointment will have a positive effect, the key being to make the right appointment. Many thought and still think Bruce is the right appointment and it will come good in time (it may, it may not, I don't have a crystal ball). I do think Bruce is a creature of habit however, hence the safety first approach, certain players not appearing to know their roles, played out of position and therefore inconsistent results and performances.

If we continue in this vain can anyone realistically see Bruce succeeding in the PL if we achieve promotion this year? I can't and I would prefer not to be a yo-yo club or in the position where we change SB after 10 games of a PL campaign. We can disagree or make counter arguments to any point made on here, but I just don't see a footballing strategy developing that currently goes beyond lurching from game to game.

All fans (including SB who is currently a fan as well as manager) ultimately want the same outcomes - a successful team. I also get that the club has been in crisis and I, like everyone here, crave stability at the club, but that stability extends to team selection, tactics, youth development, results etc. I just no longer see that as happening under SB and believe that there are realistic and better options out there. I also accept that change comes with risk, but we are told by the club that a change of manager should not mean tearing the squad of players apart - Steve Round is there to ensure that it continues to be evolution, not revolution.

We are all aware that one day in the future, SB will be relieved of his duties as Aston Villa manager - I just gravitate to it being sooner than some others on here for the reasons outlined in my recent post.

Steve Bruce may be someone we needed to steady the boat and get us back to doing the basics right but one thing he isn't is the future. He may get us out of this division, and I really hope he does, but the premier league is all about the modern game. And you need to not just understand it, but to know how to exploit it.

This is what Bruce said about wide players switching flanks in his Bolton pressed:

“He (Adomah) looks at home on the left. I think he enjoys it.

“It’s amazing the wide players today play the wrong way round.

“We have a left footer playing on the right and the right player on the left."

Hardly amazing is it? And I thought MON was old school...

Burnley and West Brom are doing ok with traditional old school English managers.

I just hope we don't try and rush things. Worst thing we could do is get up and start from scratch again.

I'd take a few years of mid table to stabilise the club, before looking to push on.

Wouldn't describe either Dyche or Pulis as old school. Both are realists who have the knack of making the most of what they have at their disposal, Both understand the modern game, even if they have limited resources to pursue it. They have a track record of survival in the PL, and even the odd good season.

Bruce in contrast has signed loads of players, half of whom are lucky to make the bench, seems to have limited tactical awareness, and has no track record of survival in the PL.

If Bruce gets us up he will sit down with the Doc to discus ambition.
Aston Villa fans will never except staying up is the extent of our ambition.
But do these foreign owners and managers know the difference between say Bournemouth and Villa., and do they think Watford is a better option because they are in the greed league.

Sod Pulis and Dyche, they are no better than Bruce for our great club.
Bruce is our best chance of going up, then it's Doctors orders.
We can only hope he has the ambition and the brains to carry it out.

What a load of nonsense talked about about lefties on the right and righties on the left. The top wingers are two footed, yes they have a natural born foot but they have worked on the other so it also becomes natural

John Robertson crossed from the left to win the European Cup for forest.
Tone crossed from the left to Pete........

Mac the goals moves inside to win FA Cup

Bobby Charlton thunderbolts left or right, unstoppable as defenders can't cut off two sides.

So if you have the brains make yourself two footed.

He has found his best team, we look a million miles better than anything in recent and long times with confidence now finally growing, we have better players playing much better, so bollocks to caution, let them lions play and they will win.... he definitely has us in the hunt for promotion, we look in much better shape, everyone has had a lift in recent weeks, guess he is staying. :7:

November 2018-2019 season

Dug this out because I wanted to the first to welcome the Championship manager of the year 2017-2018 to Aston Villa.
May I give a warm welcome to Mr Neil Warnock and can I say we're really looking forward to seeing the effective brand of attractive, attacking football that got Cardiff City promoted last season.:sorry:

Couldn't resist this knowing how many of feel about NW. On a serious note, there are one or two interesting comments in here regarding Nuno and Wolves in here.

November 2018-2019 season

Dug this out because I wanted to the first to welcome the Championship manager of the year 2017-2018 to Aston Villa.
May I give a warm welcome to Mr Neil Warnock and can I say we're really looking forward to seeing the effective brand of attractive, attacking football that got Cardiff City promoted last season.:sorry:

Couldn't resist this knowing how many of feel about NW. On a serious note, there are one or two interesting comments in here regarding Nuno and Wolves in here.

Lol, yes, one or two of these posts have not aged well :rotfl:

I don't see Wolves as anything to shout about, in fact, I wouldn't be surprised to see them start to tumble down the league with questions being asked about this Nuno guy in charge.

I did enjoy writing that and not having to mention you know who :19:

:whist: Liked this one best TH :slap:

He stablised the club so thank you for that but he also had his chance to get us automatic promotion but has failed miserably so release him now.

Attachments

• 27x1xm.jpg
    27x1xm.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 1
In theory we still have a chance for promotion, and while that's there I think we have to stick with what we've got, including Bruce. In practice, that means until the end of the season.

But I hope that whatever planning has been done for next season in the championship, and I'm sure some has been, isn't just financial but includes serious thoughts about where we go with squad and manager.

I can't see Bruce staying if, as seems probable, we don't make it. The sooner we can appoint a new manager after the end of the season and get the squad sorted the better. So hopefully there are already names on a draft short list, or will be soon.