Thommo | Page 17 | Vital Football

Thommo

Correct.

And I come from a farming family which had cows (and my grandtather would know them all by name, can't imagine that goes on in the mass production operations).

Well I had a few cows and I knew all them by name......
mind you they were all ex wifes of mine.

Back to the topic.
Firstly, I hate prejudice of any kind racial,sexual or whatever.
But I do think there are a few people who have nothing better to do than search every quote, statement made in all forms of media. So they can report and complain about them.
Yes an awful lot do need action taken but in this case I think there has been a massive overreaction. Surely a strong word in Steve's ear and a final warning about his comments would have been sufficient.
I am also interested to know who runs these courses that he is supposed to be attending? I have visions of Thommo sat behind a desk writing a hundred lines saying 'i must not say those words again.
Obviously if he ever does commentate on radio lincs again all ears will be glued to the radio. If the same situation arises will he say ' those silly chaps have had a silly fall out and are showing very mild aggressive tendencies towards each other and are acting very childishly towards eachother' i am sure the listeners will find it riveting stuff.

Back to the topic.
Firstly, I hate prejudice of any kind racial,sexual or whatever.
But I do think there are a few people who have nothing better to do than search every quote, statement made in all forms of media. So they can report and complain about them.
Yes an awful lot do need action taken but in this case I think there has been a massive overreaction. Surely a strong word in Steve's ear and a final warning about his comments would have been sufficient.
I am also interested to know who runs these courses that he is supposed to be attending? I have visions of Thommo sat behind a desk writing a hundred lines saying 'i must not say those words again.
Obviously if he ever does commentate on radio lincs again all ears will be glued to the radio. If the same situation arises will he say ' those silly chaps have had a silly fall out and are showing very mild aggressive tendencies towards each other and are acting very childishly towards eachother' i am sure the listeners will find it riveting stuff.

Thommo's been sent on a course?
Deary me. (Keeping in polite, Casper).

And correct me if I'm wrong (and I normally am), but I'm pretty sure I've heard female commentators say "handbags". It is after all a standard football cliche, a la "early doors".

So thommo is suspended for 10 games?
So 10 games of listening to Makepeace and Hortin, dear me!
When Hortin isn't commentating his heavy breathing in the background is creepy to say the least!
Can Mark Hone comeback please?

Andrew, nice to see you back. Hope everyone is well - especially 'you know who'.

Cheers Scotty, I’ve never been far away, just trying to deal with the crap summer, producing food and looking after the environment! ‘You know who’ is in tip top form thank you. 😃👍

Tommo stands no chance, I mean they have to apologise for swearing during boxing - just in case people are offended whilst two people aim to knock seven bells out of each other.

PC has quite literally gone mad - some one called me ginge once (in my military days), someone else reported this and the bloke had to apologise - despite me quite obviously being a ginge and never being offended by anyone calling me as such.

Apparently both but so what, no one has died apart from 4 peoples sense of humour.

Can we just diverge for a moment to talk about apostrophes? I think it is particularly insensitive in this modern age to keep missing them out of words where they belong. After all, they came over here on a boat to help us out when we couldn't tell the difference between plural words and ownership statements and had to put up with all those signs about 'No Irish, Dogs or Apostrophes' and now they find themselves passed over by the equality brigade and no-one is there to defend their inclusion in sentences. Times have changed and we should show them some respect.

Some details from the course Thommo has been sent on:

Terminology within Commentary;

As a commentator in the 21st Century certain words used to describe a situation where players are in involved in a very minor scuffle have in the past decades been described as 'handbags'.
It has now been decided that commentators who are describing the said situation can no longer use this word.
The committee have thought long and hard and commissioned a 250 page in depth report into acceptable words and terminology to describe a minor scuffle between players.
An acceptable word has now been decided and after much deliberation commentators who now want to describe a minor scuffle between two or more players in male match are advised to use the word : MANBAGS.

There you go, easily fixed.

Some details from the course Thommo has been sent on:

Terminology within Commentary;

As a commentator in the 21st Century certain words used to describe a situation where players are in involved in a very minor scuffle have in the past decades been described as 'handbags'.
It has now been decided that commentators who are describing the said situation can no longer use this word.
The committee have thought long and hard and commissioned a 250 page in depth report into acceptable words and terminology to describe a minor scuffle between players.
An acceptable word has now been decided and after much deliberation commentators who now want to describe a minor scuffle between two or more players in male match are advised to use the word : MANBAGS.

Bumbags?

Ahh, but if MANBAGS is now to used for the purpose you suggest, should it be applied to two female footballers squaring up to each other, or do we need a second word for that? And more importantly, where am I going to keep my testicles?

Last edited:
Tommo stands no chance, I mean they have to apologise for swearing during boxing - just in case people are offended whilst two people aim to knock seven bells out of each other.

PC has quite literally gone mad - some one called me ginge once (in my military days), someone else reported this and the bloke had to apologise - despite me quite obviously being a ginge and never being offended by anyone calling me as such.
Another reason why fans back in ground can't come soon enough. I'm tired of commentators apologising for any industrial language I may have heard.