The World Cup Thread | Page 322 | Vital Football

The World Cup Thread

There is a video of him explaining this on Twitter where he basically says to the journo that it's never possible to pick players based on form. It's largely BS, as he's essentially saying that he'll only ever pick these players.

I don't particularly rate Lewis Dunk but imagine how he's feeling hearing that. Basically the England manager saying that it doesn't matter how well he's playing because Harry Maguire, who has barely played the last few months and has been awful for Utd in general will never not be in his squad unless he's crocked. Because that's the gist of what he's saying.

He's got his favourites that he'll pick no matter what and after that it seems random. No idea how Watkins doesn't get into that squad. He's picked him before when he's been in worse form ffs, same with Mings.

Any manager in any field of management, who has his/her favourites and picks them above other better-qualified available people is a poor manager of people/players plus his tactical judgment in football is seriously flawed anyway

Fraudgate is a two-faced hypocrite and nothing more than a front-man for the FA.

Last edited:
I don't particularly rate Lewis Dunk but imagine how he's feeling hearing that. Basically the England manager saying that it doesn't matter how well he's playing because Harry Maguire, who has barely played the last few months and has been awful for Utd in general will never not be in his squad unless he's crocked. Because that's the gist of what he's saying.

He's got his favourites that he'll pick no matter what and after that it seems random. No idea how Watkins doesn't get into that squad. He's picked him before when he's been in worse form ffs, same with Mings.

It would stunning if it wasn't expected, he doesn't see anything wrong with it, his belief is that certain players are at a certain level and that level remains constant. After Stones, Dunk is the best ball-playing English center-back. Its actually insane, even if you said HArry Maguire is England's best CB how is Guehi being picked over Mings or Dunk? Dude is in a relegation battle with a team that has won in 11 games.

Kalvin Phillips? You're picking Trippier over White who is playing for the club top of the league? Pickford will probably start over two goalkeepers not involved in a relegation battle. Has Reece James played a game yet since coming back from injury?

Wow, just wow!

It would stunning if it wasn't expected, he doesn't see anything wrong with it, his belief is that certain players are at a certain level and that level remains constant. After Stones, Dunk is the best ball-playing English center-back. Its actually insane, even if you said HArry Maguire is England's best CB how is Guehi being picked over Mings or Dunk? Dude is in a relegation battle with a team that has won in 11 games.

Kalvin Phillips? You're picking Trippier over White who is playing for the club top of the league? Pickford will probably start over two goalkeepers not involved in a relegation battle. Has Reece James played a game yet since coming back from injury?

Wow, just wow!
He has removed any passion or desire I had for following my country. Its just The Mighty Villa for me from now on.

Wow, just wow!

I don't think White is likely to get in the squad after flying home early from the world cup having apparently fallen out with one of the England coaching team.

I don't think White is likely to get in the squad after flying home early from the world cup having apparently fallen out with one of the England coaching team.
Depends who he fell out with I guess. I heard Chris Powell has left the coaching staff and is in line to be replaced by Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink, so that issue could be resolved if it was Powell (I have no idea, by the way).

Re other posts above, Trippier is far better than Ben White to be fair, has far more to his game - White is a RB converted from CB and just gets up and down the pitch a lot.

And as stated elsewhere, I very happy Watkins and Mings are nowhere near that chancer Southgate. Muchmore beneficial to spend the time with Unai Emery in my humble.

be quite the coup to snap up Jimmy Floyd after he left Burton bottom of the table with 1 point from 7 games.
Stellar set-up along with Steve Holland.

As above our lot are better off where they are coaching wise altho you do start to get the cobblers about having to move

The same applies to Manchester City's Kyle Walker, who is currently the subject of a police investigation following a newspaper allegation that he exposed himself in a bar.

"It's a complicated situation", said Southgate. "I've spoken at length with Kyle. The fact as we're sitting here is that he's back playing with his club. There is no conclusive evidence to leave him out at this stage. I think I have to be very careful about being the moral judge on things."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/64982055

Shagging prostitutes during lockdown (remember the time we all had to stay in and ***** like him and Grealish did whatever the frigg they wanted?) and exposing himself, but Southgate has to be careful being a moral judge.

Ok, I'll do it for you, you lickspittle, they are vile and should not be putting on the England shirt.

Well, that was easy.

The same applies to Manchester City's Kyle Walker, who is currently the subject of a police investigation following a newspaper allegation that he exposed himself in a bar.

"It's a complicated situation", said Southgate. "I've spoken at length with Kyle. The fact as we're sitting here is that he's back playing with his club. There is no conclusive evidence to leave him out at this stage. I think I have to be very careful about being the moral judge on things."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/64982055

Shagging prostitutes during lockdown (remember the time we all had to stay in and ***** like him and Grealish did whatever the frigg they wanted?) and exposing himself, but Southgate has to be careful being a moral judge.

Ok, I'll do it for you, you lickspittle, they are vile and should not be putting on the England shirt.

Well, that was easy.
Agreed , although sometimes I wish you would make yourself a little clearer in what you think.

Haven’t read all of the above so apologies if repeating any points but that squad selection… what a joke! On so many levels.

I’m not even talking about the Villa omissions necessarily. Maguire, still? Can’t get in the United team. And yet TAA left out because he’s not in his best form. Give me a break. No wonder we never win anything.

Also Kalvin Phillips?!