The World Cup Thread | Page 27 | Vital Football

The World Cup Thread

One minute we're cursing the arrogance and selfishness of the Premier League and the Twat Six, and then all of a sudden they're our inspiration and role model.

We ARE Aston Villa FC. We're not bigger than FIFA and the Argentina national side, and no club should be.

Perhaps we should start our own league with games in quarters, bigger goals, no relegation and Extra Time Multi-Ball.

I'll add club above country but that's not the world we live in.

Assumptions yes, but no contract will have a term for something totally out of the clubs control
My point is though, unless the contract says differently you turn up for work with your employer as per the contract, unless there is an express term in there about being granted leave for international duties

Nope. I 100% disagree with the way things have unfolded here . Honestly i cannot believe the cold hard facts are being missed here , it really is farcical. Timeline -
1. players jet off to a RED list country
2. Club release retrospective statement confirming the players are going for 2 games
3. AFC manager states players are there for 3 games
4. Match abandoned in Sao Paolo, Villa players at risk of arrest
5. Players leave red zone and now have to self isolate in Croatia
6. Buendia doesn't even make the bench in either game

Absolute farce but no way can we criticise AVFC or the players

Again mate, irrelevant. The fact is the club have no say over call ups. That's the top and bottom of it. Everything you list falls on the players and Argentina although 6 is irrelevant as Buendia is still new to the squad.

None of that matters though because it has naff all to do with us - what matters in a no win situation irrespective of when the statement was released - the players agreed to can one match to only miss one match.

That agreement was stuck to ergo the deal was struck before the players left and the club showed willing in their direction and in return the players showed willing back to the club. Scaloni is clearly a con artist, isn't it just as likely the Emi's dug in out of respect if he was prepared to overrule it.

Again mate, irrelevant. The fact is the club have no say over call ups.
Contractually , that is an assumption you are making and knowing how insurance works and the contractual world new contracts will be very stringent over COVID and certainly travel to RED list countries. It's not as simple as you are implying

My point is though, unless the contract says differently you turn up for work with your employer as per the contract, unless there is an express term in there about being granted leave for international duties

And the contract would state 'subject to FIFA rules X player will be released for any qualifying international call up, and to attend any international medical assessment as and when AVFC are requested to' blah blah blah.

Particularly as both wanted international careers so there's no way that stipulation isn't in the contract as otherwise we again back to - join Villa and we give you the platform for international football but then will deny your call ups at every available opportunity.

And the contract would state 'subject to FIFA rules X player will be released for any qualifying international call up, and to attend any international medical assessment as and when AVFC are requested to' blah blah blah.
that is your assumption.

Contractually , that is an assumption you are making and knowing how insurance works and the contractual world new contracts will be very stringent over COVID and certainly travel to RED list countries. It's not as simple as you are implying

It's the rules of the game dude, contracts won't deal with Covid. Red list countries are the beck and political whim of the blonde dullard and change regularly so again wouldn't be in contracts.

It is as simple as I'm saying, it's not some grand conspiracy and nobody is sat there coming up with 1500 variants on a contract to cover international football to try and preempt what the Gov (and other Gov's around the world) suddenly decide to do next week.

It's the rules of the game dude, contracts won't deal with Covid. Red list countries are the beck and political whim of the blonde dullard and change regularly so again wouldn't be in contracts.

It is as simple as I'm saying, it's not some grand conspiracy and nobody is sat there coming up with 1500 variants on a contract to cover international football to try and preempt what the Gov (and other Gov's around the world) suddenly decide to do next week.
Insurance is all over COVID as are contracts now. To say they aren't is naive

Ancillary agreements existing outside of the main playing contract to cover lack of contention yes but it won't change the bulk or core of the deal, and it won't stipulate political decisions - it'll be more basic than that given how regularly the Gov changes their mind on things.

It'll still count for little and have no relevance.

Ancillary agreements existing outside of the main playing contract to cover lack of contention yes but it won't change the bulk or core of the deal, and it won't stipulate political decisions - it'll be more basic than that given how regularly the Gov changes their mind on things.

It'll still count for little and have no relevance.
knowing how insurance underwriters work the small print will be the devil in the detail and travelling to RED list countries will almost certainly null and void (remember that !) cover. It's a bit deeper than what's being considered especially when you have £100m worth of assets travelling

Last edited:
Not whilst it changes week to week. And we're talking 14 days in the main, any policies in action won't be akin to losing a player for 6 months either.

And look at how bad insurance is full stop for Covid, again ancillary agreements may be in force but they cannot override game rules and a player wouldn't be involved in them in any event. So again no obligation and no policy would override regulations or the club would be spunking money up the wall.

Purslow makes his final statement before being sacked for utter incompetence/being weak/ not being like Manure under Fergie/ lying.and making a hastily arranged statement.:lol:

Note during this interview Putslow states that the club came to an micable agreement with the Argies to allow 'our players to play in important (to them) matches.

This will clearly be another hastily arranged statement I suppose

Sack Emi1 and 2 get them.out. :lol:.

Brazil v Argentina controversy will make clubs 'nervous' to release players says Aston Villa CEO - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/58467766

Strange how Marlvelous stuck with Villa but the Argies decided to cause a fuss, I'd be remembering that if I was the manager but of course he's not our record signing or No1 keeper and has to fight for his place.
Shame we aren't strong enough player-wise to give them a seat on the bench for a few weeks .

Strange how Marlvelous stuck with Villa but the Argies decided to cause a fuss, I'd be remembering that if I was the manager but of course he's not our record signing or No1 keeper and has to fight for his place.
Shame we aren't strong enough player-wise to give them a seat on the bench for a few weeks .
I don't know how much Nakamba cares about international football in general, he only has 15 caps and hasn't had one since 2019.

For Martinez he has just broken into the first team and 'making a stand' would set him out of the picture. Buendia, well, is so desperate to be involved he will jet half way across the world for a training session.

Since both of our players are not established at international level they are seemingly more willing to take the risk or else be left out in the cold. Doesn't make it 'right' in the grand scheme of things it has to be said but that is probably their thought process.