The Wesley Moræs Thread | Page 63 | Vital Football

The Wesley Moræs Thread

Would I be right in thinking that when we signed Wes he was known as a player who liked to play out on the left and cut in?

Would I be right in thinking that when we signed Wes he was known as a player who liked to play out on the left and cut in?

I'm not sure about that but he's definitely not a big target man type. I remember the first time seeing him at Villa park vs Bournemouth fairly early on he ran onto a ball down the left channel, cut in, beat the full back and put the ball on a plate only for Trezeguet to shank it at the back post. Obviously we didn't play another ball like that all game and mostly spent the next few months lumping long balls up to him.

I'm not sure about that but he's definitely not a big target man type. I remember the first time seeing him at Villa park vs Bournemouth fairly early on he ran onto a ball down the left channel, cut in, beat the full back and put the ball on a plate only for Trezeguet to shank it at the back post. Obviously we didn't play another ball like that all game and mostly spent the next few months lumping long balls up to him.

Well slap my thigh and call me Roger. Literally cannot believe that happened :lol:

Trezeguet’s Villa park epitah :-
He came , he saw , he shanked it.

This is what confused me as I kept hearing that. I thought we were signing some Brazilian Theirry Henry type player.

A very big difference drifting into the channels to pick the ball up and drive in Belgium versus the Premier league, but who knows, perhaps he’s got it in his locker but many of us were almost laughing at this touch and control when we first saw him so I highly doubt it.

If he can work on becoming similar to what Benteke was - who had an equally dodgy control when he first signed - that would be exactly what we need to compliment Ollie.

This is what confused me as I kept hearing that. I thought we were signing some Brazilian Theirry Henry type player.

A very big difference drifting into the channels to pick the ball up and drive in Belgium versus the Premier league, but who knows, perhaps he’s got it in his locker but many of us were almost laughing at this touch and control when we first saw him so I highly doubt it.

Nailed it Dan, he had the touch of a baby elephant on a beach ball and therefore will never be any good

Yes his touch is more Karl Henry rather than Thierry Henry.

Exactly turning circle of an oil tanker as well, I just don't think you can learn this stuff you either have it or you don't and he doesn't and with the injury, he's had he's hardly going to come back better, mentally too it will always be in his mind.

Exactly turning circle of an oil tanker as well, I just don't think you can learn this stuff you either have it or you don't and he doesn't and with the injury, he's had he's hardly going to come back better, mentally too it will always be in his mind.

I think it’s sensible to get to a point in your career where you become the player that suits your strengths, rather than the player you want to be.

If his dribbling is crap and he can’t turn on the ball, work on bringing the ball down or controlling the ball played into feet whilst holding off two defenders and bringing people into play whilst facing them. That’s a very underrated skill, especially if he can add 10-12 goals to his name in the season.

I think it’s sensible to get to a point in your career where you become the player that suits your strengths, rather than the player you want to be.

If his dribbling is crap and he can’t turn on the ball, work on bringing the ball down or controlling the ball played into feet whilst holding off two defenders and bringing people into play whilst facing them. That’s a very underrated skill, especially if he can add 10-12 goals to his name in the season.
Nah mate he's another Joelinton, Haller type just not cut out for the PL despite their size, if we get an offer let him go

Nah mate he's another Joelinton, Haller type just not cut out for the PL despite their size, if we get an offer let him go

I fear you are right, but as I’ve got older I’m a little bit more forgiving so I’m willing to give him 20 minutes into his first game back where he will need to have shown me a 100% pass completion, three successful dribbles and a perfect hat trick to his name, or I’ll go back to your way of thinking.

Last edited:
We have a track record of judging & letting foreign players go too quickly; Gollini, Amavi, Veretout, Traore & Gana have all made careers since leaving Villa.
But he's unlikely to make an immediate impact on the PL.
He needs to go out on loan, preferably to a top team in Scotland where he can bang in goals for confidence whilst getting used to the style of play.
Davis too needs that confidence & probably won't get it in a championship team; Scotland next year, championship the year after then back to us or sold depending on progress.