The Vital Villa Music Thread | Page 396 | Vital Football

The Vital Villa Music Thread

Same, love Bowie, find his different periods fascinating, but am probably rare, I love all 3 80's albums and think, strangely, they have aged well.

And Tin Machine were fantastic, a great band, fabulous noise, took me a long time for Tin Machine II to grab me, but think they are both fine fine albums. Felt like albums where he was enjoying himself again and freeing himself up.

Agree on This Is Not America and Absolute Beginners, what amazingly good songs.

Early albums continued.........

Album No 6 Transformer - Lou Reed Released Nov 72 - purchased early 73.

By this time, Glam rock has definitely got this 11 year old adolescent in a whirl. Anything to do with Bowie was devoured, so the magnificent single Walk On The Wildside and the fact that he and Mick Ronson produced this was enough to introduce me to Mr Reed and consequently the Velvet Underground and the fascinating array of misfits and "freaks" that was the world of Andy Warhol. Freaky was a compliment in those days.

And the coloured girls go doo d doo........

Loureedtransformer.jpeg

Last edited:
The 'Now thats what i call music' album series knocks out number 100 tommorrow.

I remember buying number 3 .

:eek!:

image.jpeg

Early influences continued......

As with the later Punk movement, many "serious" music fans and critics belittled and dismissed the Glam Rock period. The artists discussed in this piece were prime examples of the acts ridiculed by our elders, but loved by the secondary school children of Great Britain.
On reflection, unbeknown to me at first, and within the glam genre, the next important figures to enter my musical consciousness in 72/73 were the producers Chinn and Chapman and Mike Leander.

Mike Leander was the man behind the tribal, twin drum, fuzztone star guitar pop stomp delivered by the character, (co-created with Paul Gadd), that was Gary Glitter. That Gadd turned out to be a despicable human being, rightly incarcerated for his crimes does not negate the irresistible pop genius of the run of singles delivered by the pair in 72-73 and their impact on the glam and punk generation.

Nicky Chinn and Mike Chapman (later producer of seminal Blondie album, Parallel Lines) were the creators of a string of similarly fantastic glam singles for would be serious rock band The Sweet, and the first female rocker with a guitar, Suzi Quatro. They continued their chart success with a series of less influential acts throughout the 70's.

Last edited:
Don't you just love youtube :clap::clap:

Trawling through my early purchases on the album thread and came across this clip of one of my favourite songs of all time, which I'd not seen before!

I was a lucky boy, as a child my house was full of music growing up. The old man was a rock n roller, Elvis, Little Richard, Chuck Berry etc and my older sister was into (among others), The Beatles, The Who and this band The Small Faces.

If you don't love this you must be deaf or dead.:guitar:

The fact he asks Noel through Twitter and with a criticism says it all really, he's desperate to get the band back together because he needs Noel's songwriting genius. Noel on the other hand, seems perfectly happy iwth his solo career and without the hassle of Liam.

Thought Liam was awful at the Isle Of Wight festival. Deano and me went to see him last year in Brum, it was sort of ok, bit average, only bits that were any good were the Oasis songs. His voice that night was much better than I expected.

If you want one from left field ...

Ibeyi have a new album out called Ash.

I can only have a half listen in the office but from what I have heard it sounds like the second album will be as good as the first album.

I am in the Noel camp.

His solo music has been really good , whereas Liam's stuff seems pretty unoriginal.

Yeah. Me too. Love Noels latest album. Very experimental for him. Liam is incapable of going down that road and just seems to be trying to make John Lennon songs.

I was and always will be a huge Oasis fan. Seen them loads was at knebworth etc. But never ever do I want them to reform. It's done and dusted. Great at the time in fact immense but it will never be the same. As someone once said.. Let it be.

I loved Noels latest, Liam's is just ok, mostly run of the mill. I would love to follow through on the thing he was working on a few years back, even more experimental. I loved the two tracks he did with The Chemical Brothers.

I loved Noels latest, Liam's is just ok, mostly run of the mill. I would love to follow through on the thing he was working on a few years back, even more experimental. I loved the two tracks he did with The Chemical Brothers.

Yes. That was with Amorphous Androgynous. A dance act. It's talked about alot but was abandoned apparently. Given the success of the last album be interesting to see what it was like. Maybe one day

I think the best Oasis could do would be a few reunion gigs, play the classics etc.

I wouldn't have much interest in them doing a new album. What's the point? (musically).

Recently watched the documentary Iggy Pop: American Valhalla. It documents Iggy's collaboration with Queens of The Stone Age's Josh Homme, in making the 2016 album Post Pop Depression and the subsequent tour. It's a tender fan's homage to a true rock icon. Insightful and entertaining and well worth a watch.

IMO, the album is his best work since the pair of albums made with Bowie in the late 70's. Homme's musical direction dovetailing beautifully with such classics as The Passenger and Lust For Life.

Available currently on Sky Arts hub.

Good shout northamptonvilla, will download that. Must re-visit Post Pop Depression, not played it for a while.