The VAR / Refereeing Thread | Page 21 | Vital Football

The VAR / Refereeing Thread

I've been stewing on this all week...

Is there any difference between the red card Romero got Vs Chelsea, the Bissouma red card Vs Forest, and the Dunk yellow card challenge on Deki Vs Brighton?

All reviewed by VAR.
None, this is the problem with all aspects of VAR and refereeing in general, there is no consistency in the application of the laws.

Is there any difference between the red card Romero got Vs Chelsea, the Bissouma red card Vs Forest, and the Dunk yellow card challenge on Deki Vs Brighton?

All reviewed by VAR.
As Gary and TQ have said , there is no difference whatsoever . There have been very similar tackles to the one that got Biss sent off as well… which only got a yellow with the commentators saying there was no intent .

There was no intent in the Biss tackle , certainly no intent in the Romero tackle , but it doesn’t seem to be a consideration when it comes to our players .

All reviewed by VAR.
It seems you have your answer matic, well by 3, Gary, TQ n Walt, me being the 4th. Lol!

There is no bloody difference! its just the Anti-Spurs thing that is going on by VAR and todays totally shite Refs. COYS

Another element of the game that is frustratingly inconsistent - the carding of players who "dissent".

Goons vs Liverpool, Odegaard fouls a player, freekick given. Odegaard goes ape-shit at the linesman and turns to the ref and has a shout at him too (not sure what he says but he is incensed.). Nothing. No yellow card. Harvey Elliot does the same thing later in the match but only shouts "Fuck off ref!" Instant yellow.

As with the Romero “ incident “

Everton have been successful in their appeal against the red card shown to Dominic Calvert-Lewin in their FA Cup third-round draw at Crystal Palace.

The striker, 26, was facing a three-match ban for a challenge on Palace defender Nathaniel Clyne which led to the first red card of his career.
But the Football Association (FA) has overturned the dismissal and Calvert-Lewin can return to action immediately.

The Blues next host Aston Villa in the Premier League on Sunday (14:00 GMT).

Referee Chris Kavanagh originally took no action but reviewed the incident on the pitchside monitor following an intervention from video assistant referee (VAR) Michael Salisbury before showing Calvert-Lewin the red card in the 79th minute.

"I have no clue what that [monitor] is there for," said Everton manager Sean Dyche following the game.

"Every fan must be going 'what is the point?' We all know the outcome, they are going to agree with everything they're being told.

"The chance of having something turned over is miniscule so why even bother?

"I'm a fan [of VAR] but we're all aware it needs tidying up. I thought it was getting tidied up but it seems to have stepped back a little bit. I remain a fan, but it is beginning to test my patience."

As with the Romero “incident” much the same , but we didn’t appeal the decision .

Referee sees the play with Calvert -Lewin but does not see anything against the Laws and their application .

VAR steps in and reviews it in slow motion .

VAR then obviously tells the ref he has got it wrong and invites him to review it on the monitor .

Ref then sends the player off , under instruction from above .

Club appeals and the Football
Association tells the Ref AND Var they have got it wrong and dismisses their actions .

Nothing is said , or reported to have been said , to PGMOL regarding their actions , spitefulness , incompetence , ignorance , and stupidity …..and denying a club an equal chance against another PL club for the full 90 minutes .

It has to go.

It is all just too ridiculous .
Offside is ridiculous. In the way it is being dissected . Hand ball is ridiculous, , nobody understands it .

Var is ridiculous .

Makes my blood boil .. can you tell .

As with the Romero “ incident “

Everton have been successful in their appeal against the red card shown to Dominic Calvert-Lewin in their FA Cup third-round draw at Crystal Palace.

The striker, 26, was facing a three-match ban for a challenge on Palace defender Nathaniel Clyne which led to the first red card of his career.
But the Football Association (FA) has overturned the dismissal and Calvert-Lewin can return to action immediately.

The Blues next host Aston Villa in the Premier League on Sunday (14:00 GMT).

Referee Chris Kavanagh originally took no action but reviewed the incident on the pitchside monitor following an intervention from video assistant referee (VAR) Michael Salisbury before showing Calvert-Lewin the red card in the 79th minute.

"I have no clue what that [monitor] is there for," said Everton manager Sean Dyche following the game.

"Every fan must be going 'what is the point?' We all know the outcome, they are going to agree with everything they're being told.

"The chance of having something turned over is miniscule so why even bother?

"I'm a fan [of VAR] but we're all aware it needs tidying up. I thought it was getting tidied up but it seems to have stepped back a little bit. I remain a fan, but it is beginning to test my patience."

As with the Romero “incident” much the same , but we didn’t appeal the decision .

Referee sees the play with Calvert -Lewin but does not see anything against the Laws and their application .

VAR steps in and reviews it in slow motion .

VAR then obviously tells the ref he has got it wrong and invites him to review it on the monitor .

Ref then sends the player off , under instruction from above .

Club appeals and the Football
Association tells the Ref AND Var they have got it wrong and dismisses their actions .

Nothing is said , or reported to have been said , to PGMOL regarding their actions , spitefulness , incompetence , ignorance , and stupidity …..and denying a club an equal chance against another PL club for the full 90 minutes .

It has to go.

It is all just too ridiculous .
Offside is ridiculous. In the way it is being dissected . Hand ball is ridiculous, , nobody understands it .

Var is ridiculous .

Makes my blood boil .. can you tell .

It is now a mess, somehow or another they have to clear all these constant recurring issues up once and for all, but shouldn't we be aiming much of this at IFAB first?

It is now a mess, somehow or another they have to clear all these constant recurring issues up once and for all, but shouldn't we be aiming much of this at IFAB first?
They are just sitting back watching the mess unfold … it’s not their fault other organisations can’t work it .
The Prem decided not to use the semi automatic offside procedures ..nobody knows why .

How on earth can reds be overturned these days unless there is new evidence? If they are reviewing the same footage then either the officials at the time are incompetent or the ones in appeal are.

Personally I think red was the right decision. Calvert Lewin was completely wreckless, high and studds up and it was only luck that made it not catch his opponent full on. It's a case of them judging outcome not actions.

For example if somebody swings a punch but the victim ducks to avoid it. The one swinging should still get the res card.

But I agree with Dyche on the monitor and I've said this all along. There is zero point on it. Just have the VAR officials tell the ref if they are wrong and get on with the game. Rather than this silly situation of the footballing world watching the ref go over in a walk of shame to get told he is wrong and how he should atone for his sins.

How on earth can reds be overturned these days unless there is new evidence? If they are reviewing the same footage then either the officials at the time are incompetent or the ones in appeal are.

Personally I think red was the right decision. Calvert Lewin was completely wreckless, high and studds up and it was only luck that made it not catch his opponent full on. It's a case of them judging outcome not actions.

For example if somebody swings a punch but the victim ducks to avoid it. The one swinging should still get the res card.

But I agree with Dyche on the monitor and I've said this all along. There is zero point on it. Just have the VAR officials tell the ref if they are wrong and get on with the game. Rather than this silly situation of the footballing world watching the ref go over in a walk of shame to get told he is wrong and how he should atone for his sins.
It’s all just a mess .

Offside , and the Offside Law was brought in to stop clubs from shamelessly putting an attacker hanging around the opponents penalty area … goal hanging , like we all did in the playground at school .

In the spirit of the game , the goal hanger was deemed to be not worthy of his team .
He was said to be “a player not of the merit of his team “
Not of his team .
Off his team
Off of his side .

We now interpret the same Law as a player who is a toe nail in front of any opponent as being not worthy of his team , a cheater , a rogue .
But he has to go to court now , and be tried by a judge and jury , with CCTV footage brought in , with no Leeway brought in , in mitigation for accidental or first offenders .

But only if he scores a goal , or potentially about to score a goal , when , in those circumstances the officials delight in allowing the excitement levels rise to delirium levels , before standing there gormlessly , whilst talking to their mate , and we all have to wait to see if our player was worthy of being on the pitch or not .

I never celebrate us scoring a goal anymore .

Take the “goal “ Son “scored “ against the Chavs that would have put us two nil up . Superb free flowing move , fast attacking movements that tore the Chavs to shreds , a delight to watch , no matter who you supported .

He was deemed to have been not worthy of playing for us because he was two inches offside .
It’s a mess .

Somebody tell me who, or what, is not worthy of being on that pitch .

It’s all just a mess .

Offside , and the Offside Law was brought in to stop clubs from shamelessly putting an attacker hanging around the opponents penalty area … goal hanging , like we all did in the playground at school .

In the spirit of the game , the goal hanger was deemed to be not worthy of his team .
He was said to be “a player not of the merit of his team “
Not of his team .
Off his team
Off of his side .

We now interpret the same Law as a player who is a toe nail in front of any opponent as being not worthy of his team , a cheater , a rogue .
But he has to go to court now , and be tried by a judge and jury , with CCTV footage brought in , with no Leeway brought in , in mitigation for accidental or first offenders .

But only if he scores a goal , or potentially about to score a goal , when , in those circumstances the officials delight in allowing the excitement levels rise to delirium levels , before standing there gormlessly , whilst talking to their mate , and we all have to wait to see if our player was worthy of being on the pitch or not .

I never celebrate us scoring a goal anymore .

Take the “goal “ Son “scored “ against the Chavs that would have put us two nil up . Superb free flowing move , fast attacking movements that tore the Chavs to shreds , a delight to watch , no matter who you supported .

He was deemed to have been not worthy of playing for us because he was two inches offside .
It’s a mess .

Somebody tell me who, or what, is not worthy of being on that pitch .
100% wiv you there Walt, you mention Son's offside, what a laugh!

Yet the Chav geezer scores 3 and basically was offside for all 3, by about 3 yards thus goal hanging, at the time of the 3 passes that went wide to the diver who's first pass was back to the same Chav geezer, not interfering wiv play they say, but allowed a head start on our defenders, didn't he have a blue shirt on? mmmm!

This very interesting article appeared in this morning’s Sunday Times. Maybe the start of a bandwagon?

Oh please . Please let it get the band wagon rolling. Can i start pushing it ?

How the above is not a red I havent a clue .

Why we didn’t ask for a review on Romero’s tackle I haven’t a clue .
There was clearly no intent .

And as for Sterlings dive for the penalty.

It’s just awful.

Somebody has set out to ruin the game and succeeded rather well.
I said in 2019 it was ridiculous and got shouted down for it ..

As for the city keeper against the barcodes , Stones , and somebody else .. three injuries in the last couple of weeks CAUSED by the stupid VAR protocol on offsides .

If that isn’t the stupidest idea then I fear for everyone concerned , that they may be allowed to come up with something even more stupid .

City keeper debarcle v the Geordies, what the fcuk!

If that injury to the MC keeper wasn't bad enough for change, as in Lines person's flag up instantly for off side, then maybe only a serious injury/broken leg will do will do it!

The inconsistency in applying the laws is shocking, the moment I saw that tackle yesterday I thought that has to be a red if Romero's was.
There is a real dichotomy at the heart of all this. On the one hand players go to ground at the slightest touch and are given soft free kicks. On the other it is permitted to dive in studs first as long as the ball is played and not the man. Mistiming is only a yellow as long as it is only the ankle that is crippled (Cash) and not the shin or higher. It really should be the other way round. Robust but fair contact is what we want in the game but studs-first tackling in any scenario is downright dangerous and the bain of the amateur game, giving licence for violence to talentless thugs.