The Tyrone Mings Thread | Page 73 | Vital Football

The Tyrone Mings Thread

I think we expect too much of him. He’s a £20m converted left back, not unfortunately, John Terry in his prime - few are.

He‘s generally been great and boy, we missed him when he was injured last season. He coordinates the defence and we are better with him. He was also up there in the number of blocks stat last season.

I really don’t think he’s been great at all in the premier league. He’s been alright, perhaps the higher end of good in the championship. But there’s something about him that is very over hyped to me.

If someone comes in with a bid of £40m+ I’d bite their hand off and move on.

He’s a big influence on the dressing room - in good ways and bad. It’s hard to explain on a forum what is in my head, but he’s not a player I look at and think we’d be any worse if he did leave. I think his personality and social media savvyness makes fans thinks he’s a bit better than he actually is. I think there are a couple of more deserving players for England than him.

I really don’t think he’s been great at all in the premier league. He’s been alright, perhaps the higher end of good in the championship. But there’s something about him that is very over hyped to me.

He’s a big influence on the dressing room - in good ways and bad. It’s hard to explain on a forum what is in my head, but he’s not a player I look at and think we’d be any worse if he did leave. I think his personality and social media savvyness makes fans thinks he’s a bit better than he actually is. I think there are a couple of more deserving players for England than him.

i had Leeds first goal down to him and him jogging back and Konsa having to cover him leaving a big gap on Konsas side.

The main thing I notice and I watch him closely is he doesn't mark anyone and doesn't close them down and just lets people shoot does my head in. Like you say if we could get more than we paid I'd let him fo

i had Leeds first goal down to him and him jogging back and Konsa having to cover him leaving a big gap on Konsas side.

The main thing I notice and I watch him closely is he doesn't mark anyone and doesn't close them down and just lets people shoot does my head in. Like you say if we could get more than we paid I'd let him fo

That third goal, he could’ve come in and covered the player who picked the ball up in the box. But he stood there and stayed in front of the keeper. Football Brain of an ant.

Let’s not forget we had the worst defensive record going of any statistic in the league last year, yet he makes the England side.

Mings is decent but isn’t a top PL defender. I certainly think he’s better than the championship but I think is a bit too prone to errors / poor judgement to be classed as a top player. He probably matches our level - bottom half maybe mid table PL

Mings was at fault twice for their first goal. Firstly he went up for a needless challenge in the opposition half and lost, putting himself well out of position, but then when he got back he was too eager to make amends and tried to block the goal line, of course when the keeper saved the shot it meant the ball bounced to their striker who was now under no pressure with an open goal. Poor judgement on both occasions and no idea what he was doing with that Bamford incident, yes he’s a knob but just leave him. He strikes me as a big hot-headed at times

I look at this way.
Before 8pm Friday I wasn’t reading much about any player in that first 11 needing replacing .
I don't think he should be replaced - far from it. But I do wish he'd learn the basics of last-ditch defending and how to stop the ball from going towards his goal.

I look at this way.
Before 8pm Friday I wasn’t reading much about any player in that first 11 needing replacing .

Quite the opposite
I was reading Trez had turned into Des Bremner and was some sort of cult hero .
We haven't got anyone bar Jack that is irreplaceable but given how teams completely change about every two years or so< I expect ours will be the same, 3 or 4 of these will be on the bench in a year or so and we will be moving on, if we don't we'll be back in the championship. It's the way it is.
I remember Ron Saunders saying when he left that team will be ok for 18 months, he wasn't far wrong.

Just so I am fair, Konsa gives Bamford way too much time for the second strike.
I still haven't plucked up the courage to watch the 'highlights" yet but one comment in the paper referred to a "criminal amount of space" that Bamford was allowed for his second goal.

It was his worst performance in a Villa shirt in my opinion, but on the whole I'd say he and Konsa have formed one of the strongest partnerships in the league in the past 10 games or so.

He'll be kicking himself after that game. You could already see after the third goal how furious he was and how he wanted to make amends, darting forward trying to make attacks happen and get on the end of things.

I think and hope that we will never see him play so badly again. It's not often that Mings isn't one of the top five performers, let alone the worst.

We all want him to do better but if we put it in to prospective There are very few top centre halves in the PL. We paid 25 mil for him, Man U paid 80mil for Maguire who is gash. Liverpool if I remember right paid a record fee for VVD who was playing when we put seven past them. The jury is out on Ake at Man c. I am trying to think of another centre half in the PL I would like to see us sign.

He used to be better at blocking than he seems to be now.
My issue is that since Liverpool our defence are trying to attack too much. We are throwing away the improved defence we started with. We have Ollie, Jack, John, Roscoe and sort of Trez to do the attacking. Luiz weirdly I would say should attack (shoot) a bit more. But the rest - defend 1st please.

He used to be better at blocking than he seems to be now.
My issue is that since Liverpool our defence are trying to attack too much. We are throwing away the improved defence we started with. We have Ollie, Jack, John, Roscoe and sort of Trez to do the attacking. Luiz weirdly I would say should attack (shoot) a bit more. But the rest - defend 1st please.

Just said on the Leeds thread that I thought this was the case. We beat Sheffield because we kept things very tight, didn't give them a chance, and waited patiently for the moment to score. Even more so against Leicester, which I thought was our most mature performance to date. You could see against Leeds we weren't tight enough in the first half and it eventually cost us.

This wasn't a Mings failure. It was a team not quite getting it right. Blame the team as a whole, blame the manager.