The Tyrone Mings Thread | Page 72 | Vital Football

The Tyrone Mings Thread

Mings is worth every penny we paid for him. He's been a bit inconstant at times; like everybody else he's getting used to the PL. But then virtually all our players have been a bit inconsistent.

I've been particularly harsh on Mings at times, and I still stand by the fact that we paid far too much money for him and that he needs to learn/develop some of the basic and fundamental aspects of defending (which go back to well before his England call-up). However, he's certainly corrected me and others on the concept that he got too big for his boots and was arrogant after he pulled on the England shirt.... I think we (fans) should always be cognizant of the human side of things with footballers. Some will cope with, or even thrive on being in public scrutiny 24/7, while others will not and need assistance....

Pay rise for Mings then.

I have to admit I thought he had been pretty shit in parts last season but when he was out injured it really showed how much we miss his leadership and communication.

Not perfect by any means but our best defender and a leader for sure. His only problem is overconfidence at times but I'd still rather a player have too much than too little.

He's our best centre half right this second but Konsa has a lot more natural talent IMO. Mings' work is too last ditch and he has a bizarre habit of cutting back onto his weaker right foot in his own box, forcing himself to play a harder pass, this put us in the shit a few times last season.

Anyway, happy for him to have a new deal, he'll probably be a regular for us for the next couple of years.

Bumped for his display tonight - he was right in the thick of it pretty much all over the park and helped us boss them physically, he even put in a cross for Ollie lol!

Good article in the Metro today. Dont know how to a link but if you google metro newspaper and click on sport its easy to find.

Here you go

https://metro.co.uk/2020/10/23/marc...ne-mings-aston-villa-premier-league-13468099/

Surreal is the first word that springs to mind when Tyrone Mings is asked about Aston Villa’s 7-2 extraordinary win over Liverpool. ‘When the fourth, the fifth, the sixth goals are going in, I’m thinking “what on earth is going on?”,’ the England defender tells Metro. ‘It was a day when they weren’t quite at it and we really were. We were firing on all cylinders. We had a gameplan to exploit their apparent “weaknesses” and everything came together.’

Here you go

https://metro.co.uk/2020/10/23/marc...ne-mings-aston-villa-premier-league-13468099/

Surreal is the first word that springs to mind when Tyrone Mings is asked about Aston Villa’s 7-2 extraordinary win over Liverpool. ‘When the fourth, the fifth, the sixth goals are going in, I’m thinking “what on earth is going on?”,’ the England defender tells Metro. ‘It was a day when they weren’t quite at it and we really were. We were firing on all cylinders. We had a gameplan to exploit their apparent “weaknesses” and everything came together.’
Cheers sd.

I like Mings, I really do. I like his commitment, his desire and his attitude. But please can someone tell me why, why, why is he unprepared to put his body on the line to block the ball???? On both the second and third goals tonight we witnessed, again, him turning into this contorted sideways pose, allowing the attacking player a direct shot at goal. If he had squared up to the ball on both occasions the ball would have hit him/wouldn't have made it. It could be argued that he actually deflected the ball on-target for the second Leeds goal when it may have gone wide or hit the post otherwise.
One thing I've never heard a commentator say: "what a great block by Mings."
I'm not saying we lost because of Mings or that he was solely to blame for the goals, but I just want to see him do the basic blue collar defending that can win or lose games.... we may have been in with a fighting chance at 1-0 down.....

I like Mings, I really do. I like his commitment, his desire and his attitude..

I thought he lost his head when we went 1 down, and it’s not the first time. He does have a great attitude off the pitch, he’s a well liked and important member of the squad, but there’s something about him that he shows petulance rather than maturity occasionally. He’s the player I want geeing up the jacks, Barkleys, Watkins’ of the world to go again, because Jack isn’t that sort of captain.

John Terry when Chelsea went 1 down would’ve been the first player to be encouraging the team to get going again, in Mings I see a player flinging his arms and chewing his gum more profoundly.

I don’t get why any player plays with gum, every time I’ve done that I spend more time concentrating on not trying to swallow it.

I thought he lost his head when we went 1 down, and it’s not the first time. He does have a great attitude off the pitch, he’s a well liked and important member of the squad, but there’s something about him that he shows petulance rather than maturity occasionally. He’s the player I want geeing up the jacks, Barkleys, Watkins’ of the world to go again, because Jack isn’t that sort of captain.

John Terry when Chelsea went 1 down would’ve been the first player to be encouraging the team to get going again, in Mings I see a player flinging his arms and chewing his gum more profoundly.

I don’t get why any player plays with gum, every time I’ve done that I spend more time concentrating on not trying to swallow it.
The way he allowed Bamford space for the third goal was pathetic, hello, Bamford is left footed, don't give him that angle!

I like Mings, but he's rash and pretty thoughtless at the best of the times.