The Tom Heaton Thread | Page 13 | Vital Football

The Tom Heaton Thread

I should have guessed that this thread would get bumped after Martinez' first mistake of the season... :rolleyes: Yes, he should have saved the third goal, but even then it dipped in front of him and was well struck. If we dropped outfield players after every individual mistake they made then we'd have no players left... Heaton is a very good goalkeeper, but never in a million years should Martinez be dropped for his first mistake of the season.

Let's not get Salifou Syndrome with Heaton. He's a good keeper but didn't exactly look great for us when he played and certainly has never looked anywhere near as good as Martinez has.

I thought he looked great and without him our goals against record would have been even more abysmal last year. Considered him out best signing of all those we brought in.

However, any calls for Martinez to be dropped requires those individuals to give their heads a wobble!

What about it? Surely you don't think he was at fault in that one. 1st goal no chance, 2nd goal was a fluke - he couldnt dive any earlier as it only needed a touch from the striker who was sliding in to send it in the opposite corner, 3rd goal was good movement from Wood and a well placed header!
Look at the amount of top saves he's pulled off in matches, we'd have dropped several points without him in the team - Heaton is a good keeper but not in the same bracket as Martinez. I'm absolutely bewildered anyone is calling for him to be replaced
To be honest I think he should've kept out the 2nd Burnley goal and that Chris Wood header seemed to move in slow motion

I should have guessed that this thread would get bumped after Martinez' first mistake of the season... :rolleyes: Yes, he should have saved the third goal, but even then it dipped in front of him and was well struck. If we dropped outfield players after every individual mistake they made then we'd have no players left... Heaton is a very good goalkeeper, but never in a million years should Martinez be dropped for his first mistake of the season.
He should've saved Lingard's 1st as well

Let's not get Salifou Syndrome with Heaton. He's a good keeper but didn't exactly look great for us when he played and certainly has never looked anywhere near as good as Martinez has.
What? He was our best player last season before he got injured. I don’t think Martinez deserves to be dropped but to completely disregard Heaton like that is just not right. Personally I think Martinez is a bit over rated - I like him and I’d certainly keep him as #1 but I don’t think he’s this world class keeper that a lot of people make him out to be. I really like his confidence on dealing with crosses and he he has the ability to make some great stops but I also think some of his technique is a bit unconventional and his saves tend to bounce out off him in all directions

Yup, torn myself so hoping he gives the 12 months, becomes our Cup keeper in light of his time out injured and then we can amicably part or agree he can move on in Jan so we get a couple of mil back.

Too good to be sat on the bench but it's Emi's place to lose.

Heaton off as well.

Shame about the injury , but he is never going to get his spot back , so a good move all round I would think.

Deserves the move. Did really well and owes us nothing.

Happy with Jed on the bench if he's happy to also stay. Always looked solid.

I don't really care. I wasn't massively impressed with him when he played for us, just looked solid to me, good shot stopper but very slow off his line and not good with the ball at his feet. Martinez is ten times the keeper.

Good pro and very good goalkeeper. Unfortunate with injuries for the last few years. If DeGea leaves ManUre then I can see him being their cup goalkeeper. Then again, can't see DeGea getting a move after his last couple of seasons...