The Tom Heaton Thread | Page 12 | Vital Football

The Tom Heaton Thread

Would he have saved Burnley's 2nd and 3rd?

Something we'll never know, Pope might have saved all 3 , you can't say .

Tom is a reflex keeper and Emi a commanding figure who cuts out danger before it happens, both good but both very different. I like commanding keepers and that's what Martinez is

Is this conversation actually happening? Martinez has possibly been the best keeper in the league this season, and was not at fault for any of the goals on Wednesday.

Only way Heaton ever gets back in now is through injury
It's as silly as reading about how Hourihane should have started. Bad results really can solicit some strange opinions. Are we questioning one of the best keepers in the league because it has taken until late Jan for him to concede a soft goal (the second one).

Something we'll never know, Pope might have saved all 3 , you can't say .

Tom is a reflex keeper and Emi a commanding figure who cuts out danger before it happens, both good but both very different. I like commanding keepers and that's what Martinez is
And Pope has let in loads of soft goals in his time.

It's a sign of how we have improved and must continue to improve Tom is a good keeper Emi is a better one but wow not since the days of Big Nige and Bossie have we had two good keepers

The other thing I noticed with the Burnley goals is that for at least one of them Emi was unsighted and saw them right at the very end. There is no way he was at fault for any of them.

I've been delighted with Emi this season, but I also rate Heaton very highly. No reason why Heaton shouldn't be in contention to start some games if Emi has a dip

Martinez has saved us more points this season than any keeper I've seen in a long time. There's no sense in talking about Heaton off the back of one admittedly poor game. If these sorts of goals become a chronic issue then it's a different conversation but than convo is some way down the road IMO.

Let's not get Salifou Syndrome with Heaton. He's a good keeper but didn't exactly look great for us when he played and certainly has never looked anywhere near as good as Martinez has.

What about the Burnley game?

What about it? Surely you don't think he was at fault in that one. 1st goal no chance, 2nd goal was a fluke - he couldnt dive any earlier as it only needed a touch from the striker who was sliding in to send it in the opposite corner, 3rd goal was good movement from Wood and a well placed header!
Look at the amount of top saves he's pulled off in matches, we'd have dropped several points without him in the team - Heaton is a good keeper but not in the same bracket as Martinez. I'm absolutely bewildered anyone is calling for him to be replaced

Any ‘keeper can have an off day. Yesterday it was Martinez’ turn.
It’ll sharpen him up and make him more determined to put in a good performance against his old team.

What about it? Surely you don't think he was at fault in that one. 1st goal no chance, 2nd goal was a fluke - he couldnt dive any earlier as it only needed a touch from the striker who was sliding in to send it in the opposite corner, 3rd goal was good movement from Wood and a well placed header!
Look at the amount of top saves he's pulled off in matches, we'd have dropped several points without him in the team - Heaton is a good keeper but not in the same bracket as Martinez. I'm absolutely bewildered anyone is calling for him to be replaced
For me he 'may have done better' for the second goal in that game but not one I'd be calling a bad error or anything.