The Tom Heaton Thread | Vital Football

The Tom Heaton Thread

JuanPabloAngel

Alert Team
This could be the shortest thread in Vital history if the move collapses but...

Speculation has been mounting all day that Burnley’s England international goalkeeper is on the verge of completing a move to Aston Villa for a fee in the region of £8-9m. Sky Sports have been reporting that Heaton has been at Bodymoor Heath today undergoing a medical with the club set to announce his arrival in the next 24 hours.

https://astonvilla.vitalfootball.co.uk/the-heat-is-on-as-villa-close-in-on-england-international/

Yes, they will be checking that shoulder out thoroughly. Will he he get 5 medicals or 4 like Marvelous?

If he comes i expect him to be number 1 in more ways than one. At 33 he will not want to warm the bench and Steer could learn a great deal off him.

I can only imagine he'd be number 1 surely?
I guess we have to trust the management team on this one. Notably Neil Cutler and Deano. It will be a fine balancing act if he comes in and is the number one right away. I think Jed Steer has the capabilities, but if Heaton is better then he gets the nod. He'll know that Steer will be pushing him hard and he'll have to earn the right to keep the shirt and win over fans who, for very good reason, love Jed Steer.

Steer will have been fully aware we were planning to bring in a new no. 1 when he signed his contract.

He'll be fine. He's now a premier league no. 2 keeper.

It's a big step up from 9 months ago when he was a 3rd choice championship keeper on loan in league 1

Steer will have been fully aware we were planning to bring in a new no. 1 when he signed his contract.

He'll be fine. He's now a premier league no. 2 keeper.

It's a big step up from 9 months ago when he was a 3rd choice championship keeper on loan in league 1

Absolutely. Times are changing - players realise that the Premiership is a squad game.

Nope .
Steer has been superb. It's his jersey to lose .

I'm struggling to see what Steer has done wrong.

(Apart from play a significant role in our promotion push of course)

I think this is harsh. But I appreciate that there is little room for sentiment. Well apart from when it suits. We are quick enough to berate players when they leave for 'career development' but it's been decided he is not good enough for this season despite his efforts and professionalism last season and it's ok to push him to the side. As I said I think its harsh and his performances last season don't deserve this.

Additionally. This supposed signing doesn't say a great deal for our recruitment when we blew 8 million on kalinic only to bin him after less then 10 games.
Lets hope all the other money we spent hasn't been similarly wasted.

For me the jury is out all across our transfers I'm afraid. Well apart from the ones I have seen play. So let's see....
As BFR says. Show me don' t tell me.

Last edited:
How does Heaton compare with etheridge (Cardiff) and benitez (nice)? .. all 3 have been linked to us

I'm struggling to see what Steer has done wrong.

(Apart from play a significant role in our promotion push of course)

I think this is harsh. But I appreciate that there is little room for sentiment. Well apart from when it suits. We are quick enough to berate players when they leave for 'career development' but it's been decided he is not good enough for this season despite his efforts and professionalism last season and it's ok to push him to the side. As I said I think its harsh and his performances last season don't deserve this.

Additionally. This supposed signing doesn't say a great deal for our recruitment when we blew 8 million on kalinic only to bin him after less then 10 games.
Lets hope all the other money we spent hasn't been similarly wasted.

For me the jury is out all across our transfers I'm afraid. Well apart from the ones I have seen play. So let's see....
As BFR says. Show me don' t tell me.
Has anyone said that Steer has been or will be pushed aside?

Hutton, adomah, whelan, Chester... They all played roles in our promotion too, should they all be starting against spurs as well?

As you said, no room for sentiment. Steer did OK, he saved some pens, but he has obvious weaknesses too and the premiership is a tough league.

Goalkeeper is such a vital position. I think if we can upgrade we need to, and sentiment doesn't come into it.

Honestly, if we could buy hazard I'd put push Grealish onto the bench too... It's just how ruthless we need to be to improve.