The Taming of the Shrews: The sequel. | Page 11 | Vital Football

The Taming of the Shrews: The sequel.

No Jock I’ve had enough of it. It’s embarrassing, the conspiracy of it all. No referee is “out to get Wigan Athletic”. Rick Parry isn’t sitting at EFL headquarters with a white cat like a Bond villain instructing referees to fuck us over. Every team and supporter in the league has to deal with shit officials. Get the fuck on with it

I don’t think anyone has suggested Parry is leading a conspiracy in regards referees. However when we are punished differently for the same off field offence than Reading then it is indisputable that we are treated differently. As head he is responsible for this.

As I previously said we are getting targeted by officials because they see the team and Maloney as an easy touch. They like to throw their authority around and as we know it’s far easier to do that against someone who won’t create or give anything back. It’s time Maloney started to publicly call out this ineptitude and demand meetings with the head of referees. On the touchline he and his coaching team need to start acting more dominant and pressuring these officials. That maybe unpalatable but that’s the game I’m afraid and until he starts playing it we’ll continue to be treated differently.

I don’t think anyone has suggested Parry is leading a conspiracy in regards referees. However when we are punished differently for the same off field offence than Reading then it is indisputable that we are treated differently. As head he is responsible for this.

As I previously said we are getting targeted by officials because they see the team and Maloney as an easy touch. They like to throw their authority around and as we know it’s far easier to do that against someone who won’t create or give anything back. It’s time Maloney started to publicly call out this ineptitude and demand meetings with the head of referees. On the touchline he and his coaching team need to start acting more dominant and pressuring these officials. That maybe unpalatable but that’s the game I’m afraid and until he starts playing it we’ll continue to be treated differently.
It's all about the inconsistency of our treatment as you said, and if Rick Parry was doing his job properly/capably he would recognise that the people they employ as referees or worse still referee assessors sat in the stands are inconsistent as a minimum, but sadly far to often totally incompetent.

Parry could also dismiss conspiracy theorists in one stroke by explain to ordinary Wigan Athletic fans why Reading were punished differently to ourselves for similar offences, so you again are bang on the manager or senior official within the club should be making representation on these issues to the EFL directly, and if no satisfactory answers are received start seeking explanations via the media.

Also, there's been 2 or 3 instances when we've been charged with failing to control our players, along with the opposition and every single time we've been fined more than the other team.
Let us not forget the fine we got at the beginning of the season for another ball encroaching the playing area that the referee made part of his official game report yet nothing whatsoever has been announced about the idiot of a referee in the Peterborough game allowing play to go on in the direct vicinity of play for a long period when they were pushing for an equaliser.

I still think we’d look far better balanced if we tried J Smith on the left and Jones on the right. I’d also prefer to see Godo cutting in from the left as he doesn’t look anywhere near as threatening on the right. Next game I’d be tempted to go with

Tickle

Hughes
Kerr
Chambers

Jones
M Smith
Adeeko/S Smith
J Smith

Aasgard
Magennis/Kelman
Godo
Agree with your selection. But I'd have Shaw starting in place of Adeeko &/or Scott Smith

It's all about the inconsistency of our treatment as you said, and if Rick Parry was doing his job properly/capably he would recognise that the people they employ as referees or worse still referee assessors sat in the stands are inconsistent as a minimum, but sadly far to often totally incompetent.

Parry could also dismiss conspiracy theorists in one stroke by explain to ordinary Wigan Athletic fans why Reading were punished differently to ourselves for similar offences, so you again are bang on the manager or senior official within the club should be making representation on these issues to the EFL directly, and if no satisfactory answers are received start seeking explanations via the media.
and to add to kings word of the month
they are consistant in there inconsistancy

Completely agree on the Reading thing. I don't feel that the club has pushed the EFL hard enough on this, at least not publicly. The entire thing stinks, for us it's ok to punish the fans by docking points but for them it isn't and no explanation for it.

I thought on the whole Saturday's ref had a half decent game until he decided to invent the injury time.

Completely agree on the Reading thing. I don't feel that the club has pushed the EFL hard enough on this, at least not publicly. The entire thing stinks, for us it's ok to punish the fans by docking points but for them it isn't and no explanation for it.

I thought on the whole Saturday's ref had a half decent game until he decided to invent the injury time.
I agree with you last bit as well, I think I said this on Saturday when I first questioned the 11 minutes.

Let us not forget the fine we got at the beginning of the season for another ball encroaching the playing area that the referee made part of his official game report yet nothing whatsoever has been announced about the idiot of a referee in the Peterborough game allowing play to go on in the direct vicinity of play for a long period when they were pushing for an equaliser.

I didn’t know we got a fine for that - Northampton wasn’t it. That’s totally ludicrous, it happens all the time. It was only mentioned as the Northampton manager kicked off as they conceded a goal claiming his player was out of position as he kicked the second ball off the pitch from our goal kick.

For a sporting body the lack of transparency is truly astounding. How two vastly different punishments can be handed out for the same offence baffles me, particularly as they won’t explain it. That speaks volumes about how poorly run it is.,

Like I said, Wigan fans have a victim complex and believe in conspiracy theories, this thread simply confirms it.

I wouldn't say I think that there is a conspiracy against us from them i.e they want us to fold and be out of the league and are instructing refs against us.

But I do think with the past 2 ownership sagas and what has gone on at Reading that it has become clear that the EFL see us as a nuisance, a soft touch and that they think that they can do whatever they want to without being held to account.

So you want to replace an in form Jones with an out of form Godo ???
No I’d still play Jones but have him on the right playing as a wingback. I’d like to see him and J Smith as wingbacks to give us more width, they’re both able to run the ball well and put crosses in. Their pace would also make us more dangerous on the break.

Godo has played his best football cutting in from the left, Humprhys best performances came when he was on the right. They’ve both been out of form and it seems to be since they picked up injuries and then changed position.

Like I said, Wigan fans have a victim complex and believe in conspiracy theories, this thread simply confirms it.
Most of this thread, if not all of it points out the glaring inconsistency of the referees who have handled our games this season, if that lead some to thinking there is some form of vendetta against us then there is reasonable evidence to back their claims up. I am not in that camp I don't believe for one minute there is any form of bias from the EFL, I just think the refereeing standard is crap and many we have had are totally incompetent at their jobs.

I will go on to mention the things MIW alluded to, referees have an easy time refereeing our games because the manager is polite and never animated on the touchline and whatever decisions a referee makes they don't get stick, compare that to other Managers especially Stevenage's Steve Evans who along with his staff harangued the officials throughout our recent game with them, their obnoxious tactics , something he is renowned for, certainly seems to them getting many of the 50/50 decisions, in fact they got away with blue murder much of the time including the ludicrous lack of additional second half time.

Perhaps we need to be a little more savvy in our approach and how we respond game officials, but one thing is for sure and is indisputable despite your "victim complex" claim, the evidence is there to show that in other areas the EFL has actioned differently to other clubs for similar indiscretions we have committed.

Last edited:
No I’d still play Jones but have him on the right playing as a wingback. I’d like to see him and J Smith as wingbacks to give us more width, they’re both able to run the ball well and put crosses in. Their pace would also make us more dangerous on the break.

Godo has played his best football cutting in from the left, Humprhys best performances came when he was on the right. They’ve both been out of form and it seems to be since they picked up injuries and then changed position.
So you want to play two wingers on each side, what about defending ?? Not one of those players Humphs, Godo, Jones or Smith are adept at tracking back and defending, in fact it is probably the weakest part of any of their games.

So you want to play two wingers on each side, what about defending ?? Not one of those players Humphs, Godo, Jones or Smith are adept at tracking back and defending, in fact it is probably the weakest part of any of their games.
I think Jones is pretty good defensively. Agree about the others.

Playing with 3 centre halves and 2 holding midfielders already makes us pretty defensive. I’d rather have positive players out wide who offer an attacking threat. Clare doesn’t offer enough going forwards and often loses possession. I think Jones and J Smith would both have the energy to get up and down the pitch and offer enough defensively. It’s more of an attacking line up but that’s what I’d prefer to see.

I think Jones is pretty good defensively. Agree about the others.
In didn't say he was poor, what I said it is the weakest part of his game, then again his crosses need to be better, if they were as good as Jonny Smiths crosses we would have quite a player on our hands.

Playing with 3 centre halves and 2 holding midfielders already makes us pretty defensive. I’d rather have positive players out wide who offer an attacking threat. Clare doesn’t offer enough going forwards and often loses possession. I think Jones and J Smith would both have the energy to get up and down the pitch and offer enough defensively. It’s more of an attacking line up but that’s what I’d prefer to see.
as I said before it is defending that is the issue, a decent wing back needs to be able to play full back predominantly, not many wingers I can think of that play a proper wing back role, they are usually fullbacks who possess the ability going forward and have the strength and energy to get up and down to cover both roles. Chambers is the only one that fits into that bracket at the moment.

as I said before it is defending that is the issue, a decent wing back needs to be able to play full back predominantly, not many wingers I can think of that play a proper wing back role, they are usually fullbacks who possess the ability going forward and have the strength and energy to get up and down to cover both roles. Chambers is the only one that fits into that bracket at the moment.
Morris and Sutherland spring to mind but we would struggle finding a left and right back like them and no chance of another Doug Coutts.