The Taming of the Shrews: The sequel. | Page 9 | Vital Football

The Taming of the Shrews: The sequel.

I am more loyal than that but if this bloke keeps up with his chosen style a lot of fans will stop coming to home games. Its been shocking and its such a shame to hear fans from many years saying how sick of being bored to tears and that they wont be renewing next season.

The thing is Jeff, the Wigan DNA that you doubt is alive and well and blossoming amongst the support.

I have been a supporter of the club from non league to premier league and back and the one constant in all that time, the Wigan DNA, is the whinging that comes from the fanbase.

I hear it every season from certain quarters:

"if this mon's still here I won't be!",

"the footballs crap and will drive the crowds away".

It never does.

TBH I heard comments from Larry Lloyd when he was manager about the crowd not getting behind the team, which caused me to have a moan and say exactly the same bloody thing, " if he continues to make those sort of comments he doesn't deserve my support". But he was right!!!!

Wiganers moan, it's in our DNA, and to all those saying that they will not bother next season if SM is still here or the football doesn't improve. I've heard it all for over 60 years and the club is still here and many of those who were moaning are sadly pushing up daisies.

My advice is, have your moan, but don't expect to see things change, life goes on and so will the club and you missing from the crowd next season will not change that.

You may however end up like those I mentioned earlier with high blood pressure and heart attacks, it is after all "just a game", unless your name happens to be Bill Shankly of course.

You won't do it Frank, once a Tic always a Tic
I'll always be a Tic Zakky but for me the owner doesn't have the ambition to match mine well not for WAFC anyway, It's more than just having a team to watch, I for one don't want to go through each and every season pissing about mid to lower end of the table and worrying if we'll get relegated or not I can't see things improving under Maloney and the way he wants to play, to do that we need the right players and I can't see Danson stumping up big money for those players.

Springy nailed it last week when he said "Get the club on a even keel first then run it sustainably" we are going backwards under Danson and I can't see things changing next season or the season after, at least show some ambition.

Wigan Athletic mean more to me than just existing and a team to watch.

I'll always be a Tic Zakky but for me the owner doesn't have the ambition to match mine well not for WAFC anyway, It's more than just having a team to watch, I for one don't want to go through each and every season pissing about mid to lower end of the table and worrying if we'll get relegated or not I can't see things improving under Maloney and the way he wants to play, to do that we need the right players and I can't see Danson stumping up big money for those players.

Springy nailed it last week when he said "Get the club on a even keel first then run it sustainably" we are going backwards under Danson and I can't see things changing next season or the season after, at least show some ambition.

Wigan Athletic mean more to me than just existing and a team to watch.

Surely Frank if they mean more to you than just existing then you would realise that your support is needed now more than ever. Walking away from attending games because they don't meet your ambition seems like cutting your nose off to spite your face.

As I've said in my previous post I have heard all of this through many seasons and yet still see those same faces almost every match day.

Last edited:
"I'll always be a Tic but for me the owner doesn't have the ambition to match mine"

What ambition is that exactly? Sounds like to me you've been SPOILED these past 25 years. Before Whelan came along, we were always a mid table lower league(s) kind of team. That is where we are now & probably will be for the next 2 - 3 seasons whilst we stabilise.

Still you can opt to watch Ashton Town next season as you've suggested you might. Although what ambition a club of that size has - F*CK ONLY KNOWS!

"I for one don't want to go through each and every season pissing about mid to lower end of the table and worrying if we'll get relegated or not"

Where you there during the premier league years? Even I worried about us getting relegated every season. If you're worried about this season, I can't see it happening.

"I can't see Danson stumping up big money for those players."

He will! But won't be spending STUPID money like we've done during the past 2 owners (even Whelan at times). We won't be BUYING the league like previously!

"Springy nailed it last week when he said "Get the club on a even keel first then run it sustainably" we are going backwards under Danson and I can't see things changing next season or the season after, at least show some ambition."

FFS man! WE ARE NOT GOING BACKWARDS. Our manager & Board currently have their hands tied behind their backs this season. I'm confident when the embargo is lifted, a budget will be made available but it won't be a silly budget like previously, which almost resulted in the permanent closure of the club.

"Wigan Athletic mean more to me than just existing and a team to watch."

It does to each & everyone of us. Just be patient for the next season or 2. And I suggest you get your blood pressure checked out. As TB said earlier, it is just a bloody game of football after all.

I get we all have ambitions to see the club in a higher division, playing sparkling pass and move style football, with wingers flying down the touchlines and crossing perfect balls in for exciting centre forwards to head past a flailing keeper, but we need to be realistic.

We have just come through what is probably the most turbulent time in the clubs history when many of us feared for the very existence of the club.

In reality we are a small town club with a history of giant killing and generally punching above our weight. Under previous ownerships unrealistic sums of money have been spent by owners chasing the dream of the PL. Dave Whelan was successful, the Chinese and Bahraini's made a complete hash of it through not understanding the intricacies of football finance.

We now have an owner, a self made billionaire, who understands how to run a business, for that is what we are first and foremost, and is trying to get to grips with the overspend of the previous regimes. It will take time and during that period things will be tight.

In Shaun Maloney we have a manager who is prepared to work hand in glove with the owner to make the club a sustainable enterprise and to hopefully bring back the glory days and the enterprising football that we crave.

Not many other managers would undertake a challenge like that.

Most successful managers would run a mile from the challenges facing our club at present, large inherited wage bill, an EFL embargo on transfer fees and amidst all that the challenge of putting together a squad to survive a season after most of the playing squad from the previous season had ripped up their contracts and departed.

We are what we are, a league one team that is no better or worse than many around us and are fighting for our status to be in L1 next season alongside twenty two other teams and in reality making a decent attempt at it.

For those calling for a change of manager I would say beware of what you ask for, their may be another Kolo Toure out there waiting for his opportunity. For those who say this squad would be doing better under a better coach, possibly, but would that coach have been able to bring in the players that SM has given our circumstances.

We are a third division club, with third division support in a small town environment who over the years have paid first division wages to third division players and are now paying the price for it.

We need to get real and get behind the owner, manager and players and regardless of the way we play take the results for what they are, win or lose, add up the points and hope we get enough to prevent us having to play fourth division football next season.

I get we all have ambitions to see the club in a higher division, playing sparkling pass and move style football, with wingers flying down the touchlines and crossing perfect balls in for exciting centre forwards to head past a flailing keeper, but we need to be realistic.

We have just come through what is probably the most turbulent time in the clubs history when many of us feared for the very existence of the club.

In reality we are a small town club with a history of giant killing and generally punching above our weight. Under previous ownerships unrealistic sums of money have been spent by owners chasing the dream of the PL. Dave Whelan was successful, the Chinese and Bahraini's made a complete hash of it through not understanding the intricacies of football finance.

We now have an owner, a self made billionaire, who understands how to run a business, for that is what we are first and foremost, and is trying to get to grips with the overspend of the previous regimes. It will take time and during that period things will be tight.

In Shaun Maloney we have a manager who is prepared to work hand in glove with the owner to make the club a sustainable enterprise and to hopefully bring back the glory days and the enterprising football that we crave.

Most successful managers would run a mile from the challenges facing our club at present, large inherited wage bill, an EFL embargo on transfer fees and amidst all that the challenge of putting together a squad to survive a season after most of the playing squad from the previous season had ripped up their contracts and departed.

We are what we are, a league one team that is no better or worse than many around us and are fighting for our status to be in L1 next season alongside twenty two other teams and in reality making a decent attempt at it.

For those calling for a change of manager I would say beware of what you ask for, their may be another Kolo Toure out there waiting for his opportunity. For those who say this squad would be doing better under a better coach, possibly, but would that coach have been able to bring in the players that SM has given our circumstances.

We are a third division club, with third division support in a small town environment who over the years have paid first division wages to third division players and are now paying the price for it.

We need to get real and get behind the owner, manager and players and regardless of the way we play take the results for what they are, win or lose, add up the points and hope we get enough to prevent us having to play fourth division football next season.

I don’t disagree with that. However I’d like Maloney to understand that we go to be entertained and personally speaking I’m generally far from it when watching us. As such I’d like him to recognise that and adapt going forward.

Great defensive grit at the end. Thankfully Tickle realised after the first corner before the avalanche that he needed to come out and punch everytime otherwise Duckley would have scored from one eventually. From then we managed to get a grip on dealing with each corner.
It was mentioned yesterday that the onslaught in the last 20 minutes was reminiscent of the game in 2018 against Man City.
We survived that against the best team in the country, that yesterday was Shrewsbury ffs!

It was mentioned yesterday that the onslaught in the last 20 minutes was reminiscent of the game in 2018 against Man City.
We survived that against the best team in the country, that yesterday was Shrewsbury ffs!
I thought it was reminiscent of Exeter away.

... that yesterday was Shrewsbury ffs!
By the way, I didn't have you down as as football snob Frank ... you know, looking down on teams we've been playing as (near) equals for years, just cos we spent a good few years over achieving by a country mile.

Peas above sticks springs to mind.

By the way, I didn't have you down as as football snob Frank ... you know, looking down on teams we've been playing as (near) equals for years, just cos we spent a good few years over achieving by a country mile.

Peas above sticks springs to mind.
Shrewsbury are more shit than we are and they battered us last 20 minutes and some are congratulating our grit and determination?

We shouldn't have got ourselves under the cosh and more to the point we hadn't a clue how to stop it.

Against City fair enough but not Shrewsbury, chalk and cheese I'd say.

Shrewsbury are more shit than we are and they battered us last 20 minutes and some are congratulating our grit and determination?

We shouldn't have got ourselves under the cosh and more to the point we hadn't a clue how to stop it.

Against City fair enough but not Shrewsbury, chalk and cheese I'd say.

Aye ... peas o'er sticks.

Plus they respect him and are delighted with how he spoke with them to get them to complete the purchase. He then went on to put together with both hands tied a team who are doing really well against ALL the odds

Just look what happened when we got rid of Leam. Then the bloke who was beaten to the job by Kolo replaced him. I mean the football under Richardson was not exactly total entertainment but it was a better watch than those last two Talal appointments.

Just look what happened when we got rid of Leam. Then the bloke who was beaten to the job by Kolo replaced him. I mean the football under Richardson was not exactly total entertainment but it was a better watch than those last two Talal appointments.

You see, that's what happens when the board/Chairmon reacts to fans slagging off the hoofball and turgid shite played under a manager. Some people are never pleased.

The point being Jeff, why did we get rid of Leam?

How many posters on this thread were actually criticising him for his style of play?

.......and yet, here we are and you are holding his tenure up as an example.

There is a saying:

You can please some of the people some of the time, you can please most of the the people most of the time, but you won't please ALL of the people ALL of the time.

As I have said beware of what you wish for as there is always another Kolo around the corner waiting to come in.

There were at least two injury stoppages for our players plus a lot of niggly fouls and loads of subs in the second half. Some heroic defending from our players at the end but Thelo should have calmed our nerves with the best chance of the game straight at the keeper. We played some lovely stuff in first 20 minutes but then it petered out. However, I think we need to give Shrewsbury some credit for making a real game of it, particularly at the end
There were minimal injury stoppages in that second half and "loads of subs" consisted of Shrewsbury making 4 in one move on 69 minutes along with one other, the last Shrewsbury sub was as the added time board went up. We made 2 changes on 74 minutes plus 2 others, so subs took part on only 4 occasions.

Let's balance that against what happened v Exeter last week, we made 3 changes at half time which did not contribute to any added time, we made a further 2 changes on separate occasions, Exeter made 4 substitutions all single changes at different times in that second half making the total number of stoppages for subs 6, yet that referee deemed 4 minutes added time was enough, despite Exeter and their goal keeper wasting copious amounts of time.

Eleven minutes added time yesterday was ridiculous.

That is clear evidence of what MIW says Maloney should be bringing up with the EFL is spot on and you are wrong to defend/explain an incompetent referees decisions, this new rule of adding more times to games is subjective and down to the opinion of a referee, if it continues it should be with an independent timer as in rugby.

Last edited: