The Super John McGinn Thread | Page 68 | Vital Football

The Super John McGinn Thread

There's a few examples but they tend to be great players like Maldini (in his fullback days), Lahm, Cafu etc.

I just don't really see what McGinn brings to the table as a captain to be honest. I'm pretty sure SG made a comment about signing a captain and in fairness I agree with him on that.

That's fair enough. Not sure we have yet. Be interesting to see if we sign another CB OR Mid who would be suitable. At present I think we only have 3 candidates. Mings, Mcginn and Martinez.

In terms of what Mcginn brings to the table I think it's leading by example. He trains hard, he always gives 100% in matches even if sometimes he has a poor game, he's well liked and we'll respected by his team mates.

I think currently he's obvious vice captain TO Mings. Can't think of anyone else other than Emi.

My view on McGinn is he plays well like 1 in 4 games and I don't really see him as a leader on the pitch at all.

Mings I agree is the best we have. Martinez is more of a leader than McGinn and I'd look to him over McGinn.

McGinn for me doesn't have the quality to expect to be starting week in week out this coming season and if we add even more quality in and around his position he will be less relevant. As such making him captain would be a waste of time as we'd be soon taking it off of him.

No problem personality-wise with it being McGinn, but if I had my way he'd be far from a guaranteed starter.

Obviously, the captain to unite the whole squad and fanbase is Douglas Luiz.

My view on McGinn is he plays well like 1 in 4 games.

Last season the same could be said of Konsa, Mings, Digne, Ramsey, Ings, Buendia, Coutinho.....

Theres only really Cash and Martinez who were more consistent than 1 in 4, and there were plenty worse than that.

We were an inconsistent side. We only won 1 in 3 games, and in plenty of those we didn't play well as a team but managed to win.

Is it about consistency or personality?

Obviously both would make a great captain. McGinn is a bit of a joker though (in a good way).

Mings is the natural leader, although we could go a bit left field and give it to Coutinho

If we sign another midfielder then it puts him in a worse spot.

Kamara will walk into and own the DM spot. That leaves Ramsay, McGinn and Luiz to slug it out. Ramsay looks like our future and I'd imagine he'll be getting priority leaving McGinn and Luiz to fight it out.

If we add another quality midfielder into the mix it makes McGinn's position more shaky.

That being said I think/fear Gerrard rates him too highly to drop, nevermind sell.

It looks that way but I don't think Stevie G had the options and he wouldn't want to rock any boats until this window opened.
Whatever we think of the players, collectively they haven't been good enough and far too many are automatic picks. That will change, it has to change , if it doesn't and SJM Watkins and Mings start every game regardless we'll be midtable again if we are lucky