The Super John McGinn Thread | Page 45 | Vital Football

The Super John McGinn Thread

Now what on earth is going on with this fellow?

His great strength was his high octane game and being in the middle of everything.

Yes he has had injury problems but they are all sorted now, so we are lead to believe.

Hes had as fuller pre-season as anybody else. Is he still carrying an injury? Is he simply not match fit? Is it a confidence thing or is there something going on in the background that we are not aware of?

I also dont think last night was the type of game that suited him. He's hardly subtle, you know what he is going to do and 50% of his game is outrunning and outworking the opposition for 90 minutes.

I also dont think last night was the type of game that suited him. He's hardly subtle, you know what he is going to do and 50% of his game is outrunning and outworking the opposition for 90 minutes.

Yes he's a midfield battler, not a striker or whatever he was supposed to be the other night. He was shocking until he dropped deeper in the last 30 mins when I actually realised he was on the pitch.

I'm wondering if it's a confidence thing with John? He seems to be releasing the ball very quickly these days, almost like he doesn't want it.

A trademark of his game is holding on to the ball and protecting it with his weird body shape and getting his arse in the way. That's McGinn! Not seen him do that much at all recently.

Still to step up in the premiership - injury has obviously knocked him fitness wise and maybe confidence. Would be like a new signing if he can find some consistency and form - let’s hope it happens after a month or so of regular football

I'm not massively convinced about him at this level to be honest. I wasn't all that impressed before his injury, he was certainly doing better, but dropped off a lot after the Burnley home game. He was poor on returning last season and despite being given more time to recover his fitness, poor Monday.

He's the least our problems though, for where we are he's good enough, works hard, battles, can be effective. But my hunch, and I hope I'm wrong is that he just doesn't have the ability to start for us if we want to push on. I wouldn't be surprised if he's on the bench next season and replaced from the starting 11.

I'm not massively convinced about him at this level to be honest. I wasn't all that impressed before his injury, he was certainly doing better, but dropped off a lot after the Burnley home game. He was poor on returning last season and despite being given more time to recover his fitness, poor Monday.

He's the least our problems though, for where we are he's good enough, works hard, battles, can be effective. But my hunch, and I hope I'm wrong is that he just doesn't have the ability to start for us if we want to push on. I wouldn't be surprised if he's on the bench next season and replaced from the starting 11.
Can't agree with that mate. I thought McGinn looked quality in some of our early games.

He was arguably our best player for the first couple of months of last season. Form is temporary, class is permanent. He should have got a couple of goals on Monday after finding himself in great positions but even getting into those positions shows he is good enough. He's a goal away from us worshipping at his feet again. Bit of confidence, bit of form, and he's one of the best midfielders in the league.

Maybe we rushed Meatball too quickly to get involved in games during project restart when he wasn't fully fit. He needs a run of games and a goal or two to get his confidence back. I would involve him in the Bristol game to give him the opportunity to run the show for half an hour. We need the guy back on form and firing because there is no better sight than watching him at his best. I love the guy and he's going to be a big part of Villa's future.

I'm wondering if it's a confidence thing with John? He seems to be releasing the ball very quickly these days, almost like he doesn't want it.

A trademark of his game is holding on to the ball and protecting it with his weird body shape and getting his arse in the way. That's McGinn! Not seen him do that much at all recently.

Yup, he's lost the Dalglish.

Physically, I think he's fine, I actually think he's a put on a couple or three lbs of muscle while off.

It looks like he's lost his mojo mentally which hopefully is just temporary as he plays his way back into form but with either him or Jack not firing on all cylinders we've got problems in midfield IMO - all the more reason to go buy someone who can cover for both of them and also replace Hourihane at the same time ......

Yup, he's lost the Dalglish.

Physically, I think he's fine, I actually think he's a put on a couple or three lbs of muscle while off.

It looks like he's lost his mojo mentally which hopefully is just temporary as he plays his way back into form but with either him or Jack not firing on all cylinders we've got problems in midfield IMO - all the more reason to go buy someone who can cover for both of them and also replace Hourihane at the same time ......
Very much agree that when he's at his best reminds me of Dalglish...shades of Scholes about him as well.