The Super John McGinn Thread | Page 42 | Vital Football

The Super John McGinn Thread

Championship is a great standard, we forget that, and that is what McGinn appears to be. He'll do a good job for us again next season, IF he doesn't get poached. I don't think he has made the step up at any point this season though.

He looked great in the first 10 games. But then so do a dozen or so newly promoted players every season before fading away into obscurity as the season progresses. I could see a lower PL side taking a punt on him but only if we decided to sell him on the cheap, which I doubt we would. His performances since the restart have been genuinely woeful.

He looked great in the first 10 games. But then so do a dozen or so newly promoted players every season before fading away into obscurity as the season progresses. I could see a lower PL side taking a punt on him but only if we decided to sell him on the cheap, which I doubt we would. His performances since the restart have been genuinely woeful.

Don't forget he was injured. He was clearly way off the pace in the match when he came back and hasn't really come near his best since. I think his true level is what we saw in those first 10 games. Which I'd put as definitely an asset in the PL, but not outright star quality.

Your first two sentences are spot on mate. Exactly what I was saying this time last year.... I love McGinn for his work rate, but he's limited and opposing managers have worked him out. I remember saying to non-Villa mate, "this McGinn is brilliant for us, but I can't see him replicating this type of form long term in the premier league against bigger, more-intelligent, faster opponents."

Agree with those saying he looked good at the start of the season. Think that proves he can cut it at this level.

Can't blame the injury though as he was off the boil way before that.

I think players like mings, McGinn and maybe even Grealish look great when riding a wave of confidence and things are going well.

However when the chips are down none of them seem capable of raising their level to drag us back up.

You're probably right, although I feel that McGinn actually cares about the club more than most... and I include Grealish and Mings in that assessment.

He probably does care. But he probably cared about St Mirren and Hibs too but when the chance to play at a higher level came he still left.

I should also say that he's plainly not 100% fit and probably shouldn't be starting. He couldn't get back for the second goal yesterday. Just ran out of puff at the end of the half.

I just can't see him leaving, he hasn't done enough to justify the sort of fee we'd look for, assuming there's no relegation clause regarding the fee.

I just can't see him leaving, he hasn't done enough to justify the sort of fee we'd look for, assuming there's no relegation clause regarding the fee.

Nah. You know the drill. Whatever the contract is or says. Whatever the club demand as a fee. If he wants a move player power wil win or he will rot in the stiffs because it would be toxic to play an unhappy player.

Nah. You know the drill. Whatever the contract is or says. Whatever the club demand as a fee. If he wants a move player power wil win or he will rot in the stiffs because it would be toxic to play an unhappy player.

Why would he leave? Bet he gets payed rather more than Burnley or Bournemouth players. If we go down he'll still play in front of big crowds and with a fair chance of a successful season. Might be more enjoyable.

I can't see him kicking up a fuss if we tell him he's going nowhere. He'd be the type who just gets on with it and would still give his all.

Saw this earlier, made me smile.

Quite liked McCann as it happens - he was a trier.

Another player who always gave it his best effort was McCann. Stuck to his job and knew his limitations, which was never going to win him fans who wanted him bombing forward and scoring while also protecting the back-four....
Remember when players of this ability and experience were considered not good enough for us??? Almost laughable ain't it.....

He has not been the same since the injury obviously.
More worryingly his form had slipped before the injury. If he wants to leave he probably will. Seems a decent bet for captain if he wants to stay.