The Super John McGinn Thread | Page 41 | Vital Football

The Super John McGinn Thread

I rate McGinn but he's not been on it much since promotion and now coming back from injury I'm not sure there's much to be gained.
I wouldn't bother playing him again this season, instead I'd get him on a diet. He's all but rolling around the pitch at the moment and totally ineffective.

Presumably, he's desperate to play (he seems to be of that character) but I think all round, leaving him out would aid both our performances and his chances of making a good, full recovery. A heavy, unfit player is always going to be a risk with regards to injury.

Next season give him the armband - he can lead by example with his work ethic.

A non-Villa mate of mine came to the Everton game with a spare ST, I said to him watch SJM closely this guy is quality and he didn’t let me down.

Within the first 20-25 mins, he had popped off a couple of pot shots cutting in on his left, he was constantly on the ball getting box to box, and playing laterally too. He was an option in a dynamic midfield we had where there seemed to be two options at all times, and doing that thing where he turns with a player on his back.

He was the fittest player on the pitch by a mile, and led the high pressing game from midfield.

The danger if he has an inferior team around him, is that he looks like a headless chicken. In a setup that is fast, direct and high pressing for me he is perfect. In a setup that is about building the play up slowly and keeping defensive shape, he’s not looking so effective.

I would play him as a sort of hybrid right forward on the right ish side of a central midfield , as I think he’s dangerous cutting in.

Playing football at any level let alone an elite level does take a couple of games to get up to match speed, but I’m honestly surprised at how far off the pace he is considering everyone has stopped for 12 weeks. He also had a friendly arranged to give him a special 90 mins against someone a few weeks back if I read it right. I did put in the sheff Utd match thread we needed to lay off him and let him get up to speed, I wouldn’t be against him coming in and just keeping shape as Marv has been shocking but I’m not sure his heart on his sleeve way of playing let’s him do that.

Last edited:
A non-Villa mate of mine came to the Everton game with a spare ST, I said to him watch SJM closely this guy is quality and he didn’t let me down.

Within the first 20-25 mins, he had popped off a couple of pot shots cutting in on his left, he was constantly on the ball getting box to box, and playing laterally too. He was an option in a dynamic midfield we had where there seemed to be two options at all times, and doing that thing where he turns with a player on his back.

He was the fittest player on the pitch by a mile, and led the high pressing game from midfield.

The danger if he has an inferior team around him, is that he looks like a headless chicken. In a setup that is fast, direct and high pressing for me he is perfect. In a setup that is about building the play up slowly and keeping defensive shape, he’s not looking so effective.

I would play him slightly as a sort of hybrid right forward, as I think he’s dangerous cutting in.

Playing football at any level let alone an elite level does take a couple of games to get up to match speed, but I’m honestly surprised at how far off the pace he is considering everyone has stopped for 12 weeks. He also had a friendly arranged to give him a special 90 mins against someone a few weeks back if I read it right. I did put in the sheff Utd match thread we needed to lay off him and let him get up to speed, I wouldn’t be against him coming in and just keeping shape as Marv has been shocking but I’m not sure his heart on his sleeve way of playing let’s him do that.
He was at his best last year when Smith was playing him in a slightly advanced right-of-centre role alongside Grealish (twin 8's was what he called it) with Whelan behind doing all the water-carrying (Hourihane against the weaker teams). Neither Marv or Luiz can do the job that Whelan did last year and so that system hasn't been used.

Yes, literally changing the rules mid-season. The drinks break I can live with (although not really necessary, hardly in a heatwave), but 5 subs is a total farce and totally designed to benefit the Sky 6.
I am sure they will proclaim that 5 subs and the drinks break have been a massive hit with the fans and are retaining it for next season.

You can guarantee they will be keen to keep the drinks break. It will go down a treat with the North American broadcasters who are desperate to squeeze in an extra advert or two. All about the £££££

We all said back at the beginning, it would simply suit the big boys with deeper squads and help them consolidate their prize money.

Sporting integrity my arse.

And yes the drink's breaks are awful, but a nice advert opportunity!

You can guarantee they will be keen to keep the drinks break. It will go down a treat with the North American broadcasters who are desperate to squeeze in an extra advert or two. All about the £££££
You can also gaurantee that fans around the country will give a poorly performing home team absolute dogs abuse as the trot off for drinks after a shit 22 minutes.

Too many subs. The fact that they are bringing on first choice players with 25 minutes left didn't help but thems the breaks.
The fake crowd noise on TV is as annoying as those vuvuzelas in the WC. Worst one was the 'Oooooh' as an everton player launched a shot out of Goodison as the ball was retrieved from Anfield in the Scouse derby.

Championship is a great standard, we forget that, and that is what McGinn appears to be. He'll do a good job for us again next season, IF he doesn't get poached. I don't think he has made the step up at any point this season though.
This is fair. Absolutely no chance of him leaving IMO.

I don't think he has made the step up at any point this season

Nuuurrrssse, more meds for the nice Mr Fear please. First dozen games or so he was fantastic. Really good. As good as we have had in midfield for a decade plus.

Anyway, I am now watching a documentary on ch5 about a man with 10st testicles. That's where my debate ends.

We need to try and keep him away from the pies in the closed season so he can do his thing in the championship next one.