The Summer transfers/rumours thread | Page 35 | Vital Football

The Summer transfers/rumours thread

can't blame Bruce really - only now does he realise we're potless and there's something called ffp. Shame it hadn't dawned on him when he was fannying about on the golf course last year and we'd have saved that £3mill he spunked on an ego stroke.

Anyway I guess Marney had no way back once Burnley had started signing galacticos like Westie.
He's a shitter version of Whelan who in turn is a shitter version of Jedi.
Might as well save that wage and play one of the reserves tbh - then at least if they are half decent we can sell them when the transfer window opens again

bright future etc

Think Whelan is genuinely useful. He's now well integrated into the club and could be a big influence, whether or not he's actually playing. If Jedi is off then it makes sense to keep him. Can't see the thinking with the Burnley guy.

This was also left footer from 25 yards into the top corner . My memory is awful apart from villa moments
Funny how we remember things relating to Villa from 40yrs ago but can't remember what I had for tea yesterday. We had some great attacking teams from 75 through to 85. Be great to watch a Villa team thrash teams at Villa Park most home games once again. Teams not full of fancy Dan's or egos just hard working footballers who gave their all for the Villa!

On the age scale on which I figure he's just a distant blip at the bottom.

Midfielders we have in abundance. We don't need more. For experience counter coming back from a serious injury and probably no longer has the speed or the stamina over a season.

We've got to get out of accumulating older players because they are a good influence and have experience. We need to adopt the approach other cash-strap Championship teams do; you have a small squad with players who you expect to play most weeks and have the stamina to do so. That means younger players, of which we have plenty.

If the idea is to get in players like him so that we can sell more of our existing midfielders then we are seriously doomed.
For many years it's been something that's baffled me. We supposedly have a great academy. Yet very few of these younger players get a look in. Now I understand it's a results business but surely some these guys could be given a chance. If there not good enough then perhaps the academy needs looking at. It's like so called squad players. If your getting paid by Aston Villa you should be good enough to represent the 1st team at anytime and at championship level even more so. We have plenty of expensive flops why not let one or two younger players have a go.

It would be interesting to see a list of our top earners. They are surely the ones that need to be moved on. I'd be surprised if Thor was one of them.

That seems quite logical Windsor Villa. Too logical for Villa.
Incidentally with a name like that you don't happen to live in a big castle do you? Could you get your gran to bung us a few million and a royal warrant or two to tide us over?

That seems quite logical Windsor Villa. Too logical for Villa.
Incidentally with a name like that you don't happen to live in a big castle do you? Could you get your gran to bung us a few million and a royal warrant or two to tide us over?
I wish Ironside ?

Maybe we could sell Richards to Sunderland, if I remember correctly, at the time we signed him, reportedly for a wage of £60k per week, they were willing to pay him £90k.

BBC sport has a feature on the 10 players who may have benefited from a good World Cup and the clubs supposedly interested. Spurs linked to most of them :fish::wagging: Don't hold your breath regarding an attractive bid for Grealish.
IMO, the only way they will buy him is a knock down bargain punt on transfer deadline day. After which, he might get a few cup games. If he has to be sold to an English club, he'd be better off at Leicester, who might give us a decent fee. Couple of good years for them and we might get a sell on bonus.

To have any chance of shifting Richards, he has to prove himself all over again. If he is fit, then he absolutely has to play some part for us this season. Don't think anyone will pay big bucks for Kodja this window for the same reason. Fitness needs to be proved.

Selling Jack might make sense; selling Chester doesn't. We owe Baggies money still, at a guess about £3m, so a £9m fee drops to £6m. No doubt the buying club will want to spread the fee, so we might get £3m this year which goes straight to Baggies. Crazy.

There is nothing to suggest if we sell a player we suddenly have to pay all outstanding amounts to the previous club with immediate effect. If we owe £3m to West Brom it’s going to be paid to them anyway whether we sell Chester or not so I can’t understand how not selling him will save us any money

To have any chance of shifting Richards, he has to prove himself all over again. If he is fit, then he absolutely has to play some part for us this season. Don't think anyone will pay big bucks for Kodja this window for the same reason. Fitness needs to be proved.

Richards isn’t worth half the wages he is on (reported £35k p/w) so no chance of him going. Kodjia I could see someone taking a punt on him but we would be lucky to get back half what we paid for him due to injuries and because we overpaid for him at the time anyway

Richards isn’t worth half the wages he is on (reported £35k p/w) so no chance of him going. Kodjia I could see someone taking a punt on him but we would be lucky to get back half what we paid for him due to injuries and because we overpaid for him at the time anyway

When it comes to it, we'll be lucky to get anything over £30m Chester, Grealish and Kodja combined given the fact that everyman and his dog knows our present circumstances. Until they play McCormack and Richards are worth nothing.

There is nothing to suggest if we sell a player we suddenly have to pay all outstanding amounts to the previous club with immediate effect. If we owe £3m to West Brom it’s going to be paid to them anyway whether we sell Chester or not so I can’t understand how not selling him will save us any money

There's every reason to assume another payment to baggies is due. Don't sell Chester, and we have to find say £3m from somewhere, maybe mortgage off another bit of our assets. Sell Chester and we don't have to do that, true, but if the fee we get is spread over 3 years, then with £3m going to baggies, the remaining £6m will help us in future years, not this.

Unless we sell off the fee to some money lender, so we get some money this year, but a lot less than £6m.

If Xia sells the club it would be huge, because whatever the long term plans which need to be put in place are, it's the finding money to pay bills month by month which is crippling us.

This club has always, well as long as I can remember, been very badly run as a commercial interest. This is what needs to be changed as much as possible because, without a successful commercial side to the business, the sports side will always be balanced on quicksand. The thing about building a commercial side to the business is, it needs a start-up financial investment.
The sports part of the business could bring in money off the field by putting a world-wide player scouting operation into effect.
How many South American players, for example, play in European leagues and just how many have we found?

This club has always, well as long as I can remember, been very badly run as a commercial interest. This is what needs to be changed as much as possible because, without a successful commercial side to the business, the sports side will always be balanced on quicksand. The thing about building a commercial side to the business is, it needs a start-up financial investment.
The sports part of the business could bring in money off the field by putting a world-wide player scouting operation into effect.
How many South American players, for example, play in European leagues and just how many have we found?

Nii Lamptey