The Summer Transfer Thread 2022 | Page 28 | Vital Football

The Summer Transfer Thread 2022

Steve Nichol left Liverpool 28 years ago and never achieved anything of note since, what would he know about Villa or the PL, in general, these days
You should see the cast of characters we have here on ESPN doing the "expert analysis" - Nicol, Craig Burley and Shaka Hislop. With an occasional guest appearance by Frank LeBoef. It's literally painful to watch/listen to. They spend most of their time on the air trying to shout over each other.
Regarding Nicol, he coached in the MLS for a time and had a little bit of success with New England, then everyone realized he was just an angry sweaty sock who was stuck in the methods under which he played 30 years earlier.

This quote from Freddy Guilbert seems to confirm what we all think.

“Since last summer, I have had no news from Aston Villa, so it smells scorched for me there (…) In Strasbourg, there is everything to succeed, but I do not have the keys to truck in hands ⁦
@RCSA

https://t.co/qzv1W1haQ7

It'll be interesting to see if anyone of note makes a bid for him. At 27 playing for Strasbourg somehow, I think we're right to let him go much to the dismay of a few.

It'll be interesting to see if anyone of note makes a bid for him. At 27 playing for Strasbourg somehow, I think we're right to let him go much to the dismay of a few.
He was bought in and for the Championship, then we got promoted. I kinda like the guy, always puts in the effort (from what I’ve seen), but maybe he is just the wrong guy at the wrong time. I’m sure he’d do a job but we’ve got some talented youngsters coming through. So if he leaves, best of luck to him. I’m sure we’ll get our money back.

Chelsea reportedly have an £80m buy back clause on Abraham til 2023 .
Big missed opportunity this last summer .

Strasbourg are 5th when they were one of the favourites to go down and he is one of the highest performing defenders in the league so I don't think he'll be lacking suitors. Wouldn't surprise me if he ended up at one of the bigger French clubs. He'd be a fine back up for Cash but I'd rather let Kesler have a go at that.

Strasbourg are 5th when they were one of the favourites to go down and he is one of the highest performing defenders in the league so I don't think he'll be lacking suitors. Wouldn't surprise me if he ended up at one of the bigger French clubs. He'd be a fine back up for Cash but I'd rather let Kesler have a go at that.

Yes Kesler is the future or was that Tesla I forget

TBH Abraham is quite a lot better than what we have IMO and would suit our system too but in terms of his record in Italy, well, have to bear in mind that Serie A is no where near as good as it used to be, it's a pretty weak league.

But in terms of what we are missing up top I think he does fit that bill to a certain extent. We constantly bemoan Watkins' inability to hold up the ball and do good quick one and two touch stuff, Abraham is good at that. I'd also say Abraham is better in front of goal as well.

TBH Abraham is quite a lot better than what we have IMO and would suit our system too but in terms of his record in Italy, well, have to bear in mind that Serie A is no where near as good as it used to be, it's a pretty weak league.

But in terms of what we are missing up top I think he does fit that bill to a certain extent. We constantly bemoan Watkins' inability to hold up the ball and do good quick one and two touch stuff, Abraham is good at that. I'd also say Abraham is better in front of goal as well.

I was thinking Tammy is a goal paocher, his goals all come fro 8 yards or closer , I always thought his hold up play left a lot to be desired , sloppy and careless but stick him in the 6-yard box with a first-time chance it's in the net .
He's tall and gangly but not a target man or hold up player in my book . More Darren Bent ie plays for himself and his stats

I was thinking Tammy is a goal paocher, his goals all come fro 8 yards or closer , I always thought his hold up play left a lot to be desired , sloppy and careless but stick him in the 6-yard box with a first-time chance it's in the net .
He's tall and gangly but not a target man or hold up player in my book . More Darren Bent ie plays for himself and his stats
He has actually improved this a lot since he left us to be honest. Much better at it.

Tammy actually blows Watkins well out of the water given their respective ages and CV’s.

At still only 24 with a proven record at championship, premier league and now Serie A he is a fantastic option for us and where we are currently. Perhaps not the answer for a genuine top 4 regular but far too good for mid - bottom half. We would be fools not to try if he suits the SG style.

I repeat. Look at his record. He is only 24.

Tammy actually blows Watkins well out of the water given their respective ages and CV’s.

At still only 24 with a proven record at championship, premier league and now Serie A he is a fantastic option for us and where we are currently. Perhaps not the answer for a genuine top 4 regular but far too good for mid - bottom half. We would be fools not to try if he suits the SG style.

I don't think he cost that much more than Leon Bailey or Danny Ings as well.

That's what I mean, he's Darren Bent look at his PL record, why was he not starting for England etc his all-around game was based on him getting a goal and maintaining his 1 in 2 ratios, not the team. This is how Tammy is or how I see him

If Tammy was available and we were willing to stump up what it would take to get him then I'd have him in a heartbeat. He's who we should have signed in the summer.

That's what I mean, he's Darren Bent look at his PL record, why was he not starting for England etc his all-around game was based on him getting a goal and maintaining his 1 in 2 ratios, not the team. This is how Tammy is or how I see him

Well part of the reason he hasn’t been starting for England is because we have the (soon to be) all time record scorer currently playing. And before Kane was the current all time record holder.

Where we are I wouldn’t expect us to be signing one of the top world strikers , they are the reserve of a few. However as a next best Tammy will do for me.

Not sure Watkins record is blown out the water at all tbh.
Tammy 56 games 21 goals for Chelsea (and ignoring his 5 goals in 31 at Swansea)
Watkins 63 games 21 goals
so a bit better if you discount Chelsea being far better than we are.
Italian stuff seems pretty low quality these days

Fair enough Tammy has a couple of years on Watkins to improve but that's not a given.
He seemed pretty happy to get back to Chelsea last time so imagine he'd head back there like Lukaku given half the chance.

I guess he'd be decent back-up for Archer if we don't sign Haaland this summer

If Tammy was available and we were willing to stump up what it would take to get him then I'd have him in a heartbeat. He's who we should have signed in the summer.
No chance we can get him now I'm afraid as you say, last summer was the time.