The Summer Transfer Thread 2022 | Page 271 | Vital Football

The Summer Transfer Thread 2022

Because no player who's not been getting into one team has ever gone on to do well for another?

I doubt any player would come to Villa and progress under the current management and all the players will improve with better coaching which one hopes comes with new management.

But if Bednarek and Dendoncker are the level Villa are looking at for the 1st team, that's extremely undewhelming. There was an element of desperation to get a CB on the last day so you's get what you get. A least it's a loan. The situation was avoidable.

LD is the second def. midfielder we brought in this window, this always rings alarm bells to me. Buying him knowing Tim is on loan means next summer we'll have three DM's. Given who's in charge over at Wolves I suspect the price is at the right value.

We got what we needed in height, physicality, and a CB. But I think we got what we paid for. Overall the strategy and the quality of the footballers brought in this summer has been underwhelming. It did look on track with DC and Kamara, like with much of this Manager's tenure it soon went off the tracks.

To note: Dougie staying was not underwhelming. The lack of belief I found I had in the club statement that he would stay was overwhelming in fact.

any hope of success this season has been extinguished within 3 weeks. The writing was pretty much on the wall after 90 seconds in Bournemouth

I doubt any player would come to Villa and progress under the current management and all the players will improve with better coaching which one hopes comes with new management.

But if Bednarek and Dendoncker are the level Villa are looking at for the 1st team, that's extremely undewhelming. There was an element of desperation to get a CB on the last day so you's get what you get. A least it's a loan. The situation was avoidable.

LD is the second def. midfielder we brought in this window, this always rings alarm bells to me. Buying him knowing Tim is on loan means next summer we'll have three DM's. Given who's in charge over at Wolves I suspect the price is at the right value.

We got what we needed in height, physicality, and a CB. But I think we got what we paid for. Overall the strategy and the quality of the footballers brought in this summer has been underwhelming. It did look on track with DC and Kamara, like with much of this Manager's tenure it soon went off the tracks.

To note: Dougie staying was not underwhelming. The lack of belief I found I had in the club statement that he would stay was overwhelming in fact.

Reports were that Luiz had agreed terms with Arsenal but, they were not going to go above £23 million for him. That does not, I repeat, does not, fill me with confidence he will be signing a contract extension and will sign a pre-contract with Arsenal in January before leaving on a free in the summer.
I wonder how long it's going to take Gerrard to work out that the team is heavily overloaded with left side players, even Bailey is better on the left but, is being forced to play on the right so Gerrards best mate can be squeezed into the team.
Buendia should be on the right with McGinn in the middle and one of Luiz/Ramsey/Sanson on the right.
Cash is more of a wingback so I'd give Freddie a game as he is more of a defender, the same goes on the left, Digne is more of a wingback while Augustinsson is more defensively minded.
So my line-up for Saturday would be;

Martinez.

Gulibert.
Bednarek.
Mings.
Augustinsson.

Dendoncker.
Kamara.

Buendia.
McGinn.
Luiz.

Watkins.

Reports were that Luiz had agreed terms with Arsenal but, they were not going to go above £23 million for him. That does not, I repeat, does not, fill me with confidence he will be signing a contract extension and will sign a pre-contract with Arsenal in January before leaving on a free in the summer.
I wonder how long it's going to take Gerrard to work out that the team is heavily overloaded with left side players, even Bailey is better on the left but, is being forced to play on the right so Gerrards best mate can be squeezed into the team.
Buendia should be on the right with McGinn in the middle and one of Luiz/Ramsey/Sanson on the right.
Cash is more of a wingback so I'd give Freddie a game as he is more of a defender, the same goes on the left, Digne is more of a wingback while Augustinsson is more defensively minded.
So my line-up for Saturday would be;

Martinez.

Gulibert.
Bednarek.
Mings.
Augustinsson.

Dendoncker.
Kamara.

Buendia.
McGinn.
Luiz.

Watkins.

I dunno about the manager but my first clue about the overload on the left was that we have three Left Backs in the squad.

As for Dougie, good luck to him whatever he does. Probably best for him and his family to take a nice fat signing on fee. No surprise to me he wants to go play under Arteta either, just further proof to show that Arteta and the current Villa manager are uncomparable.

Luiz would not be able to sign a pre-contract with Arsenal in January. He could, however, sign one with a foreign club.

Not long back 26m was agreed for a winger, it didn't work out for whatever reason. But by all accounts the fee between the clubs was done.

Why then go and buy a DM for around half? When we had two in the team already which isn't the case with wingers and the manager only plays one.

We needed a CB when the Sarr deal was leaked so that wasn't different. True there was no noise about Dougie but his contract situation didn't change in those few days. We actually lost by less to Arsenal than Crystal Palace so in a twisted way it could be said we improved defensively.

I totally understand it if he is to replace Dougie, but then I immediately question the quality of the replacement.

Not long back 26m was agreed for a winger, it didn't work out for whatever reason. But by all accounts the fee between the clubs was done.

Why then go and buy a DM for around half? When we had two in the team already which isn't the case with wingers and the manager only plays one.

We needed a CB when the Sarr deal was leaked so that wasn't different. True there was no noise about Dougie but his contract situation didn't change in those few days. We actually lost by less to Arsenal than Crystal Palace so in a twisted way it could be said we improved defensively.

I totally understand it if he is to replace Dougie, but then I immediately question the quality of the replacement.

We actually had three dedicated DM's in the squad in Kamara, Nakamba and Iroegbunam who has looked the part every time he's had minutes.
The only way that buying Dendoncker makes sense is if he's played alongside Kamara in a two man midfield pivot, defending the defence and springing the four attacking players forward. This at the very least would free up McGinn to play in his best position, although with the weight of the captaincy around his neck I doubt he'd be playing that freely.
If Luiz isn't signing an extension I'd bench him and play Sanson on the left of midfield. I'd pick Sanson over Ramsey because he will chase back and help out defensively whereas Ramsey isn't likely to.

We actually had three dedicated DM's in the squad in Kamara, Nakamba and Iroegbunam who has looked the part every time he's had minutes.
The only way that buying Dendoncker makes sense is if he's played alongside Kamara in a two man midfield pivot, defending the defence and springing the four attacking players forward. This at the very least would free up McGinn to play in his best position, although with the weight of the captaincy around his neck I doubt he'd be playing that freely.
If Luiz isn't signing an extension I'd bench him and play Sanson on the left of midfield. I'd pick Sanson over Ramsey because he will chase back and help out defensively whereas Ramsey isn't likely to.

I had forgotten about Marvelous to be sure, apologies. Thank you for bringing him back from the bomb squad.

One question that remains unresolved in my head - wtf is the “project” that they all keep telling us is so exciting. Think it’s probably something akin to the Haribo advert where they just make shit up as kids.

It's obvious that there isn't one. It's all just talk.

But up until this summer I believed what purslow has said and always got excited when he talked the good game.

Now we all know they are just clueless. Have no plan. Have no strategy.

Lerner wanted top 4. He threw loads of money into Aston villa for the first few years. Then we know what happened.

I dont think our owners will do a Lerner. But right now the evidence suggests we are following a similar flight path to the Lerner days.

This is weird. Remember last season where he was an absolutely pivotal member of Gerrard's starting 11 and how after he got badly injured many people considered this injury a key factor in our sharp downturn in form?

In the space of like 8 months he has gone from pivotal player to bomb squad. I don't quite get the thinking here. I get we have Kamara but Nakamba if anything could be starting with Kamara filling the double pivot shite Gerrard loves and help make us at least tougher in midfield and maybe help turn some defeats to draws.

I'm pretty sure Harvard and Wharton business school will be using Gerrard as a case study in how not to manage in the future.

For context, That article is from a Forest forum who refer to a Zimbabwean outlet.
I would of expected Mike Field to jump in here with a rant about clickbait . Oh but it appears that rant is used selectively to suit the narrative.