The Summer Transfer Thread 2022 | Page 2 | Vital Football

The Summer Transfer Thread 2022

He’s hit 18 goals in 17 league games for Leverkusen this season so there will be a lot of interest.

He has scored well at all clubs apart from Roma where he had a bad time but he’s 6 ft 3, can hold it up, bring others into the game, has a great touch and and score different types of goals. He’d be perfect for us.

I did want us to sign him in the last Summer window, but hadnt really kept an eye on his league form this season. Thats certainly an impressive return in a decent league though

He’s hit 18 goals in 17 league games for Leverkusen this season so there will be a lot of interest.

He has scored well at all clubs apart from Roma where he had a bad time but he’s 6 ft 3, can hold it up, bring others into the game, has a great touch and and score different types of goals. He’d be perfect for us.
26yrs old and valued at £36m (which is always under reported on Transfermarkt)

How mobile is? I’ve only seen him in one game and that was that thunderbolt he hit from 60 yards. I think if you’ve got Coutinho and Emi2 buzzing around behind you you’d want a lad with a bit of pace.

Personally wouldn’t write off Watkins entirely. In the same way I think he massively overperformed this year. He is significantly underperforming this season. Truth is somewhere in the middle. I think we’d get away with him on a European push next season if he improves 10-20% but beyond that into top 4 we absolutely need a better CF.

How mobile is? I’ve only seen him in one game and that was that thunderbolt he hit from 60 yards. I think if you’ve got Coutinho and Emi2 buzzing around behind you you’d want a lad with a bit of pace.

Personally wouldn’t write off Watkins entirely. In the same way I think he massively overperformed this year. He is significantly underperforming this season. Truth is somewhere in the middle. I think we’d get away with him on a European push next season if he improves 10-20% but beyond that into top 4 we absolutely need a better CF.
From what I’ve seen of him, he’s at least as quick as Watkins. However he does looks superior technically, he has a greater ability to hold defenders off, is a more clinical finisher, and is more of a threat in the air. With Coutinho and Buendia’s wizardry alongside him, I think it would be some strike force.

We absolutely need to invest heavily in a striker, our two strikers do not cut the mustard. This position is one of the top priorities for me.

You can't tell me that Danny Ings isn't a PL striker.

If you play fantasy football, you'll have noticed that none of the strikers are doing well this season. I think only one of the top 20 points scorers is a striker and that's Antonio who scored all of his points in the first 3 weeks and has done nothing since.

I think football has moved on. Liverpool and Citeh play without a 'striker' with Firminho always dropping deep.

You can't tell me that Danny Ings isn't a PL striker.

If you play fantasy football, you'll have noticed that none of the strikers are doing well this season. I think only one of the top 20 points scorers is a striker and that's Antonio who scored all of his points in the first 3 weeks and has done nothing since.

I think football has moved on. Liverpool and Citeh play without a 'striker' with Firminho always dropping deep.
Ings doesn’t fit, he’s not a bad player, but he can’t play in the systems we have deployed this season, this makes him about as useful as a chocolate tea cup.

Neither striker we have can deliver in the system we play, therefore we need forward players who can. This is the point.

Ings doesn’t fit, he’s not a bad player, but he can’t play in the systems we have deployed this season, this makes him about as useful as a chocolate tea cup.

Neither striker we have can deliver in the system we play, therefore we need forward players who can. This is the point.

I know what you mean. I can't say that Ings or Watkins has played well this season. I'm just not sure that another striker will solve the problem.

So how do we solve the problem of strikers not delivering for us?
Watkins has been underperforming but also played out of position to try and accommodate Ings from most of the season. He absolutely can play as a focal point up front as he did it well enough to get an England call up last season.

Interesting views but can't see past us needing a player who can actually play this system in the summer. Both have a lot to do to IMO.

So how do we solve the problem of strikers not delivering for us?

Trying to play Ings and Watkins hasn't worked so far. I think it has to be one or the other and play them into form.

IMO, we don't need a new striker. We have two good PL strikers and that's part of the problem.

Trying to play Ings and Watkins hasn't worked so far. I think it has to be one or the other and play them into form.

IMO, we don't need a new striker. We have two good PL strikers and that's part of the problem.
But both have had several games alone and still done shitely. Needs to be a priority position in the summer for me unless either can demonstrate a lot more quality consistently between now and then.

But both have had several games alone and still done shitely. Needs to be a priority position in the summer for me unless either can demonstrate a lot more quality consistently between now and then.

I think you are looking for more than anyone is going to deliver. Who else in the PL would you rather have?

We don't need to sign anyone from a premier league club. I'd personally like some like Patrik Schick.

The reason I asked who else in the PL you would rather have is because none of the strikers are performing at the moment. Even CR7, the bestest player in the world, can't even score a penno at the moment. Ivan Toney scored 30 goals last season and can't get a sniff now. Even the always reliable Harry Kane is struggling. Perhaps Schick would be a transformational signing but he seems to go through long dry spells. Could you imagine how our fans would react to our £40m striker having a dry spell?

The reason I asked who else in the PL you would rather have is because none of the strikers are performing at the moment. Even CR7, the bestest player in the world, can't even score a penno at the moment. Ivan Toney scored 30 goals last season and can't get a sniff now. Even the always reliable Harry Kane is struggling. Perhaps Schick would be a transformational signing but he seems to go through long dry spells. Could you imagine how our fans would react to our £40m striker having a dry spell?

Brentford have lost all their style that brought them up. That high intensity, high work rate style that Leeds had, they’ve lost all that within 3-4 months of being in the big time.

I think Toney would score goals in the right system, and he started out putting in a big shift when they came up.

A stupid celebration at VP and saying “fuck Brentford” on Snapchat probably demonstrates he isn’t the sharpest tool, but there’s a good player in there.

I don’t think I’d want Toney for what he’d cost and his intelligence, but if there’s a player out there of that style, it’s an upgrade on Ings and Ollie.

I’m not writing Ollie off, but he has a lot to improve on. He’s been poor this season, but he has a tendency to improve and fair play to him for that. He could come good, but he needs coaching.

Last edited:
Toney has scored 1 more goal than Ollie this season despite him playing more and being the sole man that Brentford are trying to set up to score. He's no better than anything we've got right now and Brentford would probably want some stupidly huge fee for him.

In terms of premier league strikers there aren't many that are going to make a big difference that would realistically sign for us as they're already at the super 6 twats. I'd be looking to Europe if I was Gerrard.

We need goals from all of a front three and not worry so much on a target man. Get another Emi/Phil and sell both Ollie and Ings. Maybe JJ could do it. If Ings went to boot camp or did a Rocky montage and got fit them maybe he would work. Ollie I'm afraid does not have the vision, control, and weirdly for a young fit player, the pace to be that player.