The Summer 2021 Transfer Rumour Thread | Page 52 | Vital Football

The Summer 2021 Transfer Rumour Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
We tried that, when did we last sell anyone for a decent fee Benteke?
Club policy is Moneyball , not that we've seen any yet
the owners have pumped in about £100m in since September just to keep the wheels turning before we even think about squad strengthening . We will need to shift a few soon to balance the books a bit

We have been spending the T.V money on the squad and the owners have covered the rest of the costs.

Getting the fans back will ese the burden and I would be surprised if we didn't spend next seasons T.V money on players again.

the owners have pumped in about £100m in since September just to keep the wheels turning before we even think about squad strengthening . We will need to shift a few soon to balance the books a bit

There's certainly a few that need shifting.

For me, what I mean by I am not that worried about the £ for players and what the club decide to bring in, is that they know what their plan is, what their end game is, how much more they would make from sponsorship, advertising, tv money, replica kit scales - and on it goes - than me.

So if they think a 28 year old will bring in x y and z towards their plan, then so be it, they are very savvy business people. Not only are they savvy, but they are not here as charity, they will want success.

Only the two of them will know what that 'success' is.

So no, if they decide a 28 year old is worth £100m, I'll go along with that. Then it has to be blended with bringing youth through, and buying players at good prices with the hope of a sell on value as well.

It certainly isn't a 'I don't care' or 'please send us bust' .. it is a trust in the fact they will know exactly what they want to achieve.

We seem to have a cut-off point of 27 years old except for keepers, I just don't think the club will sign any players over 27 for big money but personally, I think we need some older heads to mentor the young squad when the panic sets in.
No real leaders out there, even Mings seems to lose it when we are under pressure and struggling
I think you can almost break players up by position in terms of when they are at their peak. Goalkeepers typically not until they are 29+. Centre-backs maybe a year or two younger. Attacking players on the other hand tend to start going downhill by about 28/29. I know it's not a hard and fast rule, but I think buying a 27 year old centre-back is a fairly safe investment, whereas a 27 year-old forward will have likely already peaked....

I think the only players leaving will be Elmo Taylor Hourihane possibly Heaton or Steer , and some of the over 20 year old kids who are nowhere near the first-team squad

Yup, I wouldn't shift anyone else at this stage. It would be helpful if we could quickly profit on an El Ghazi or a Trez, but it's not necessary and for what they do offer, I'd still prefer them as options on the bench next season as it would be nice to have a match day squad not just largely making up the numbers.

Yup, I wouldn't shift anyone else at this stage. It would be helpful if we could quickly profit on an El Ghazi or a Trez, but it's not necessary and for what they do offer, I'd still prefer them as options on the bench next season as it would be nice to have a match day squad not just largely making up the numbers.
Exactly this. We need a squad, and the likes of El Ghazi, Trez, Traore, even McGinn are players we need to have in the squad, not necessarily starting. Who we buy this summer need to be upgrades and those who leave expendable - Taylor, Hourihane (who I like by the way, but we need better).

Yup, DS has already said this is the summer to pad, add options and depth but we have to do that by improving the starting XI and moving starters to bench options. In some cases it'll be the kick they need to improve further as well as that guaranteed start has now gone.

For DS it could be considered make or break as with a full bench to choose from, he loses a lot of protection on his in game decisions - but equally it should challenge him to improve further as well.

Going to be an interesting summer for sure in terms of the business we do - and of course, given time in the job, it's the first proper chance to see Lange at work as this summer will be 'all' him and his department with whatever say Purslow/DS have.

Those on the Zaha bandwagon, would you pay £80-100m for him? Because that's what he'll cost. He is to Palace, like Jack is to us. They've said it before that's their price tag on him and I cannot see it changing; ultimately the selling club dictate the fee. If you think he's obtainable for £40-50m, you're dreaming and just think how you'd react if we sold Jack for that amount.

If however, you would splurge the £80-100m on him, fair enough. Would I? No.

Those on the Zaha bandwagon, would you pay £80-100m for him? Because that's what he'll cost. He is to Palace, like Jack is to us. They've said it before that's their price tag on him and I cannot see it changing; ultimately the selling club dictate the fee. If you think he's obtainable for £40-50m, you're dreaming and just think how you'd react if we sold Jack for that amount.

If however, you would splurge the £80-100m on him, fair enough. Would I? No.

It's fan and BS internet reports, but if we were genuine in our interest we'd never pay that.

They said that when Spurs were sniffing around about 2/3 years back and he's now out of contract in 2023 and even as his boyhood club, he's not happy Palace have held him to ransom if you believe other reports (which is ironic because they also then saved him from the Man U hell he was in).

Palace about to be us when we were promoted....I think over half their squad are out of contract come the summer and I always thought Parish had them well run from the Championship days when he took over, but from the outside this is a nightmare for them. They'll need a £40/50m injection, and this is where we could be clever with fringe players.

That's the route I'd take.

My only question with Zaha is mentality given it seems he's now minted for life, is used to being a massive fish in a very small pond, but failed in his last big move. Would he become another typical O'Neill signing or a Barkley who over a season begins turning up once every six games?

Zaha on form I'd pay £80 straight out for the difference he'd make. Barkley on form I'd pay £40 straight out.....

But there's having a bad day and then not being arsed.

Something keeps whispering in my ear, let them double their profit on Eze instead.

There seems to be this assumption that we are spending big this summer and that whoever we buy will come in and hit the ground running. I think this will not be the case on either count. Smith has even said I believe we won't be doing much business. Which is a worry.

There seems to be this assumption that we are spending big this summer and that whoever we buy will come in and hit the ground running. I think this will not be the case on either count. Smith has even said I believe we won't be doing much business. Which is a worry.

He hasn't, that's now an internet fact mate for some reason.

It's based on him saying he's happy with the core of the squad but in the same interview he also spoke about adding depth, extra experience, a few gambles to develop - basically it was year 3 was the time to grow the squad to compete in all competitions rather than having a strict XI - but he wasn't unhappy with the players he had (which is guff because he won't use most of them, so that's clearly PR to keep the camp happy).

I'd pay that, to be fair. Don't think Palace would accept it though.

200w.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.