The Summer 2021 Transfer Rumour Thread | Page 314 | Vital Football

The Summer 2021 Transfer Rumour Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
i think it will be a case of "nearly" again. The vibe was so good so positive , sadly Grealish going it pains me to say has deflated the club as we knew it would but don't want to accept. It is hard to accept and is upsetting, i think it will take 2-3 years to recover and we just need to stay up if we can in that time.
A bit like our last season....the window started well but has trailed off. The promise of a Smith Rowe coming, instead replaced as you say by joe Grellish leaving. Our young kids might help depth wise but cant see much more than midtable at best. Also profile of club has taken a blow with Grellish leaving, sadly.

The vibe shouldn't be negative as we're in unknown territory due to the injuries but we've bought at least two terrific players with the jack money and maybe three with Bailey, if we ever see him.

The only query in my mind is why we've not then pushed on to make a real statement by splurging serious money where it really counts in the PL - central midfield.

Very many fans of other clubs are impressed with our business over the last couple of seasons but to stop at net zero spend right now does give a bit of a Doug Ellis vibe imo and now we've strengthened the front and back of the first team the central midfield is looking well short imo.

For me this is a big grey area, its not a simple black or white answer.

The midfield duo of McGinn and Luiz has a pretty good resume of teams they've beaten even while carrying an injured Bert and non-existent Barkley. Its a midfield good enough for 7th - 10th IMO.

Until this weekend I did not think we were a man short, not until Marv was sitting on the bench. To me that feels like a message. Marv is simply not progressive enough with the ball for him to ever be more than a bit-part player under Smith. His ball retention is good, thats not the problem its simply that once he crosses the halfway line he ceases to be useful. I think for Dean he is expecting us to control 60% of games this season. (and I really like Marv, he was pivotal until Luiz emerged as a decent player).

I don't know if Bissouma or Anguissa would have been the answer. IMO its clear the club didnt even consider them so to move for them now would likely be a gamble based on hype. A significant worry is we're placing a huge amount of pressure on Sanson to perform when he's back. The secondary worry is Luiz has no challenger at all, Marv isnt going to oust him.

If we don't sign a CM I see it being "pick 3 from this 4" Luiz, McGinn, Young and Ramsey until Sanson returns from injury. I think Young will continue to be selected at CM because of his experience, discipline and passing. Young is probably the best passer in that group, he's crisp and incisive.

I'm like most on here thinking we need a proper DM in the side for that extra bit of steel, but I remember last season, unsure which game,waxing lyrical about Luiz and McGinn and going so far as to say I thought they were one of the best midfield pairings in the league. They were both immense that game but sadly ,for whatever reason, they've not scaled those heights again- only in flashes. I'm hoping that when everyone is fit,firing and up to speed that we'll be able to push on with the better quality we have across the pitch. Unfortunately due to the current circumstances that may not happen for a while.
Keep the faith Villans

At least Jim White and his awful deadline day cringefest is no longer part of the Sky coverage.

And they can cancel the late night Pizzas, cameras and Rob Dorsett to Villa Park. I’d be very surprised if we even get a mention today let alone sign anyone.

A bit like our last season....the window started well but has trailed off. The promise of a Smith Rowe coming, instead replaced as you say by joe Grellish leaving. Our young kids might help depth wise but cant see much more than midtable at best. Also profile of club has taken a blow with Grellish leaving, sadly.

Pundits seem to reckon we're going to have a good season. The club profile has gone from one dependent on snake2 to one with much more balanced in terms of quality; wouldn't describe that as a blow.

He is precisely the kind of player most of us can see is missing from the first team.

We have money burning a hole in our pocket from the recent err, high profile transfer.

I will be very disappointed if we do not go out and go for him, and/ or land someone with similar qualities. Never mind Dean saying he's happy with the squad, just fucking sort it.

I've been saying for 18 months I'd like to see us sign a quality DM, but I just dont think Deano wants to set up that way. He's more likely to sign a Jorginho type than a destroyer.

Sorry “ we just need to stay up this season”
What have I missed that’s turned us into relegation battlers? I know it’s been an average start but we look mid table at this point, nothing like Arsenal, Norwich saints etc.
Relegation, no chance.

I don't see many points from the next few games

2 things- if Bissouma ends up at Liverpool, would anyone take Keita on loan? Wolves apparently after Renato Sanches on loan, should we be showing an interest?

It's really frustrating but I suppose in some ways understandable as you're always going to have problems with some players not working out or out through injury.

What is annoying is that we're more or less net zero spend this season and we could probably get Bissouma for £50m who, IMO, may have such a binding impact in this team that we'd make half that fee back in his first season based on PL position alone.

Rather that than half that figure so obviously being pissed away on Wesley. TF anyone was thinking with that move and fee I don't know.

Im wondering if (and it may have already been mentioned), whether the owners want to keep back a war chest for a new manager, should Smith get off to a bad start?

Making the job more appealing to a manager who may want to add in Jan?

I hope not, I like Smith. However, the real test will be when Smith has a full squad and no excuses....then we'll see how well he does.

Status
Not open for further replies.