The Summer 2020 Transfer Rumour Thread | Page 336 | Vital Football

The Summer 2020 Transfer Rumour Thread

If we hadn't signed anybody then, in spite of the improvement at the end of last season, I think we'd struggle this, simply because with wear and tear our lack of depth would come back to bite us, and also the weakness up front would be exposed.

But with the signings to date, and the quality and depth which they've added, I think we have a good chance of a decent season. If we add Rashica as well then we have genuine fire-power up front. I do think that with Hause the only CD cover we could do with another CD.

I don't think anyone has been sniffing anything depressing, I think people are talking from the experience of the last 10 or so seasons personally.

I think a lot are forgetting how utterly atrocious we were too many times last season.

I lost count of the Saturday afternoons I wanted to run out in front of a bus watching what was on display.

But I do think we'll be better this season, and seem to be making signings in the right areas, apart from the defence where I think we need another CB and LB

BBC reporting Traore is our last planned major signing unless something “unforeseen” arises. If that is the case then I am not fully convinced that we’ve covered all our requirements for the coming season.

There are still concerns for me in central midfield - Mcginn if he can recapture his previous form (still an “if”) is fine, Luiz is fine based on the end of last season, but then our remaining options of Hourihane, Nakamba and Lansbury.. there’s definitely someone missing there.

Also concerned about central defence, there is definitely a lack of experience there, ok Mings and Konsa finished the season well but not sure I 100% trust them over a full season and with Hause and out of favour Engels the only alternatives there be could issues

I think a lot are forgetting how utterly atrocious we were too many times last season.

I lost count of the Saturday afternoons I wanted to run out in front of a bus watching what was on display.

But I do think we'll be better this season, and seem to be making signings in the right areas, apart from the defence where I think we need another CB and LB

Agree re last season. And just being a bit sharper after lockdown isn't enough for me, I need to see progress before feeling any confidence. Looking forward to watching though, hoping there is progress, development, less poor tactics, that lessons have been learned and that we'll be pushing and competing for the mid table spots.

BBC reporting Traore is our last planned major signing unless something “unforeseen” arises. If that is the case then I am not fully convinced that we’ve covered all our requirements for the coming season.

There are still concerns for me in central midfield - Mcginn if he can recapture his previous form (still an “if”) is fine, Luiz is fine based on the end of last season, but then our remaining options of Hourihane, Nakamba and Lansbury.. there’s definitely someone missing there.

Also concerned about central defence, there is definitely a lack of experience there, ok Mings and Konsa finished the season well but not sure I 100% trust them over a full season and with Hause and out of favour Engels the only alternatives there be could issues

Nail on the head. Not negativity, just realistic concerns.

I don't buy that to be honest. This seems to have come from Phil McNulty via Twitter and he really isn't someone who I believe has the inside track on much. Strikes me that this is just his opinion.

Didn't Smith himself say we wanted a couple more? I reckon we'll be after another winger (Rashica) and another midfielder at least. And if I was in charge we'd be getting another striker, centre back and left back on top of that. Especially seeing reports of Engels and Samatta leaving.

Signings so far are once again minus PL experience. ...apart from the Arsenal back up GK.
Certainly CB and LB are weak positions. And we haven't ....(and probably won't).....got rid of nearly enough of the deadwood in the squad.

Signings so far are once again minus PL experience. ...apart from the Arsenal back up GK.
Certainly CB and LB are weak positions. And we haven't ....(and probably won't).....got rid of nearly enough of the deadwood in the squad.

It will be interesting to see how Newcastle do, their 3 signings so far, Wilson, Fraser and Lewis all have PL experience.

I wouldn't be as concerned about the deadwood for now, first priority should be bringing more in.

Many Aston Villa fans can probably be forgiven for having a slightly depressive outlook given the last decade we have had. There’s certainly every reason to be distrustful and doubtful about the calibre of supposed transfer targets given our relative lack of success in the market in recent years but it’s not all doom and gloom as Vital Villa forum member Villa 4 Ever recently pointed out.
https://astonvilla.vitalfootball.co...ositives-for-villa-ahead-of-the-new-campaign/

Surely we have to strengthen defence, I don’t think we can start such an important season without that improvement, I’d like to see a top CB come in and Konsa and Mings fight it out for that other spot, Mings played better at the side of Terry cos JT kept him in check, without him there Mings is suicidal at best, I tend to watch Mings like I did horror movies in the 70s (through the sleeve of my Parka)
In an ideal world, 2 class players In midfield and defence would leave me happy with the transfer business, without them I believe we will have learned nothing from last season. UTV

Mings also being injury prone, is another concern. We cannot let Engels go imo and I hope it was lazy journalism.

Many Aston Villa fans can probably be forgiven for having a slightly depressive outlook

Realism.

It isn't a depressive outlook at all. It is, I believe, show me don't tell me.

I look forward to our new signings doing just that, and the signings from the season before, with a season under their belt, hopefully they've learned now (not going to be told they are still learning are we?) and that the manager is now PL level.

Show me, don't tell me. Oh and everything crossed more are incoming.

:thumbup:

Watching Dean Smiths interview yesterday I think the BBC are talking out their arse, He said we're waiting on a few players, so definitely expect a couple more in.

Also we've still got until the 12th of October to bring in players like Benrahma, Rico Henry, Buendia and King because they're in the Championship, so if we do bring in a couple of players from abroad and then we still look a bit thin within the next 3 weeks we've still got a little more time to add more.

Mings played better at the side of Terry cos JT kept him in check, without him there Mings is suicidal at best, I tend to watch Mings like I did horror movies in the 70s (through the sleeve of my Parka)
I don’t thing Mings ever played with Terry

One hundred percent agree we need a more reliable centre back, even if it’s someone to initially just play back up in case Mings or Konsa go through a bad spell

Many Aston Villa fans can probably be forgiven for having a slightly depressive outlook given the last decade we have had. There’s certainly every reason to be distrustful and doubtful about the calibre of supposed transfer targets given our relative lack of success in the market in recent years but it’s not all doom and gloom as Vital Villa forum member Villa 4 Ever recently pointed out.
https://astonvilla.vitalfootball.co...ositives-for-villa-ahead-of-the-new-campaign/

While being optimistic is good for your health, I still feel it’s based on hope, and always leaves me thinking ‘I wonder what time they take their tablets’ on the other hand being a pessimist I can only base my thoughts on facts that have occurred and are occurring, I do hope Villa 4 Ever is right cos I can’t take another shit show from the Villa.
Hopefully Monday Night I could become an optimist🤞🏻🤞🏻😀