The Summer 2020 Transfer Rumour Thread | Page 334 | Vital Football

The Summer 2020 Transfer Rumour Thread

I’m still really worried, because as it sits at this minute compared to last season I can’t see much of an improvement, we have Martinez last year we had Heaton, Cash - Guilbert, Watkins - Wesley, all unproven, bookies still have us to go down and I can see why, is our defence any stronger than last season? I don’t think so. Hope I’m wrong but on paper nothing much as changed.
we have 2 weeks to get some class in or we’re having another season of pain.

I’m still really worried, because as it sits at this minute compared to last season I can’t see much of an improvement, we have Martinez last year we had Heaton, Cash - Guilbert, Watkins - Wesley, all unproven, bookies still have us to go down and I can see why, is our defence any stronger than last season? I don’t think so. Hope I’m wrong but on paper nothing much as changed.

Saw a big improvement in defence on the restart last season, which is the key issue. Can we keep that going, especially how we played in the last four matches? If we can then I'd say we have a solid defensive base to build in. But we are a bit thin there. I believe Engels is still injured, had a nasty Achilles problem. Chester has been sold. So Hause is the only cover.

Agreed - the biggest problem last season was ball retention, passing and scoring goals. The defence looked far worse because we spent large parts of the game under massive pressure and being constantly attacked.
I don't like the style of sitting back allowing teams onto us, it's nail biting and in the PL it's not long before the defence starts to break.

I would really like us to start looking better on the ball and playing with more confidence. And to that we need better players. I don't think Cash will be an improvement on Guilbert, at least not short term. And we might be better off sticking with the player that already has a season under his belt.

Desperately need quality wide players in the final 3rd to support Grealish and McGinn - at least to give them an out ball and some options. El Ghazi and Trezuguet are not good enough at this level to be constantly picked in the 1st team, both missed sitters last season and stray passing/crossing. I hope we sign Rashica - I feel he will be a huge improvement. And not to sure about Traore - some are saying he looks better going through the middle?

Saw a big improvement in defence on the restart last season, which is the key issue. Can we keep that going, especially how we played in the last four matches? If we can then I'd say we have a solid defensive base to build in. But we are a bit thin there. I believe Engels is still injured, had a nasty Achilles problem. Chester has been sold. So Hause is the only cover.
I would like the defence to be strengthened.

Could do with an old head at the back Konsa has played as many league games as Mings who is 5 years older but both are inexperienced at this level and that goes for Cash and Targett and even the new keeper. I think we could do with an older organiser back there a 30 year old with 300 PL games and a leader, but who I have no idea

Totally agree, key area to have some experience.

Hope so, my fear was it was because a few of our oppo were already on the beach. I guess we will soon find out if those were improvements - they came a bit late didn't they, but I guess better late than never, before the lockdown we looked deadset to go down.

But an injury or two, and not as if Mings hasn't had injury issues before, and we are down to the bare bones unless they do strengthen.

Hope so, my fear was it was because a few of our oppo were already on the beach. I guess we will soon find out if those were improvements - they came a bit late didn't they, but I guess better late than never, before the lockdown we looked deadset to go down.

But an injury or two, and not as if Mings hasn't had injury issues before, and we are down to the bare bones unless they do strengthen.

Have they released any information or dates about the winter transfer window? If this one is delayed closing surely they won’t have the next one in just a matter of weeks!?

Have they released any information or dates about the winter transfer window? If this one is delayed closing surely they won’t have the next one in just a matter of weeks!?

Same as usual, throughout Jan, apparently.

Engels would be a steel for many PL teams. He is only 26 years old and had what I thought to be a very solid 1st season before he got injured. In some cases I thought he was better than Mings, especially at reading the game. In fact Mings made a few mistakes - yet he was still a favourite, Engels makes a couple and he gets dropped.

And like with Guilbert, very sad to see this happen to what I thought was good player that worked hard for the club.

I'm having some reservations in regards to Smith and some of these decisions - I sure hope he has a good season.

Where are Gollini, Amavi, Veretout, Gana & Adama ?
Are any of them any good ?
I think we need to realise that bringing foreign players into a relegation fight and expecting them to prove themselves straight off is a fool's game
Players need to come into the right environment, need support, need to adapt, need to be given time, need to get up to the speed of the premier league. Was Luiz an instant hit or did he get better over the season?
I'd like Sam & Wesley to go on loan to the Championship before we chuck them away. Freddy must stay & Engels too unless we have another centreback incoming.

I agree. Getting Jack to sign was great, I hope & expect Martinez & Watkins to be good [not sure of the point of Cash] but if we compare with last year's team we already had Jack and a good keeper, the only improvement so far is that we think Watkins is a better bet than Wesley was.
We hope/expect WBA & Fulham to struggle but may be surprised, and a 3rd club has to go down too. I think Everton are now well clear, Newcastle seem to have strengthened & WH bought well in January. Palace will struggle if Zaha goes but got Eze who I think was a bargain. Well organised teams like Sheffield & Burnley will probably be safe so I think that it is currently Villa or Brighton and they've got some decent cenrebacks etc.

Where are Gollini, Amavi, Veretout, Gana & Adama ?
Are any of them any good ?
I think we need to realise that bringing foreign players into a relegation fight and expecting them to prove themselves straight off is a fool's game
Players need to come into the right environment, need support, need to adapt, need to be given time, need to get up to the speed of the premier league. Was Luiz an instant hit or did he get better over the season?
I'd like Sam & Wesley to go on loan to the Championship before we chuck them away. Freddy must stay & Engels too unless we have another centreback incoming.
Wesley is going nowhere. Least of all the Championship.