The Summer 2020 Transfer Rumour Thread | Page 313 | Vital Football

The Summer 2020 Transfer Rumour Thread

So would you if you never came of the bench, his attitude of wanting to play sounds spot on to me, why we think footballers shouldn’t have a moan because they don’t play is beyond me, if Red Bull bought you and told you you’d be racing round Monza, etc etc, and all you did was mop up oil spills in the pit lane I’m sure we’d fucking moan too.

Oh and while we’re on it, you either have a player who moans cos he wants game time or one who sits and takes the money without ever wanting to move on (we’ve had a few of them) He wants out of Lyon because he wants to play football, suits me.

I rather suspect the reason he's not played is because, yes, he wants to play football but only on his terms and to his existing strengths.

Presumably, Red Bull would be a bit miffed if you drove their £10m car off the track and across fields because you couldn't be arsed to work on improving your steering in training.

Also lets not forget Lyon had a change in manager back in October so it's possible the new guy just doesn't fancy him.... it happens.... look at Gareth Bale.... doesn't make him a bad player.

Fair comment.

It may make him a bad team player though.

Tony Daley would be considered shite by most modern Villa fans.....

Yet he got me out of my seat more than most Villa players of the past 30 years.

Even if Traore proves to be a bit frustrating it would be nice to have a bit of excitement.

Ah yes, Daley's Comets lol

Traore's first season at Lyon he scored 18 goals, but most of his goals came when playing down the middle. Seemed to be a similar story following season. Last season they have played him wide right. With Watkins having the ability to play wide as well, maybe Deano is planning on having 2 players who can interchange when we are attacking instead of being so rigid - could be a good approach and difficult to defend against.

That would make a lot more sense - as an out and out right winger I just can't see it.

If we land Martinez, Rashica and Traore I seriously doubt there will be much more flex on the budget, perhaps a loan or two?

Ultimately if our business ends with the three players I listed I think it would represent a pretty good 'second iteration' as far as recruitment is concerned since our promotion. It's going to be a long process to get us right up the table so we have to aim for incremental improvement season on season.

I wouldn't necessarily disagree mate - I guess the concern is that if at least two of those three don't work out then we could be in for a tough season again.

All the more so because the other two, Watkins and Cash, came from the Championship so we're very much gambling across the board here be it that we're dropping much more money per player as you'd hope.

They both favour one foot heavily compared to their weak foot (most do) the way people are talking about Traoré you’d think he only had one fucking leg.

"the way Traoré plays you’d think he only had one fucking leg"

Fixed.

Neither would I. Barkley couldn't be classed as "developing other club's players" now could it? Prem, CL and international experience and seems a good pro.

Have concerns but if it meant Hourihane was out then I'll start the car myself.

Last edited:
I wouldn't necessarily disagree mate - I guess the concern is that if at least two of those three don't work out then we could be in for a tough season again.

All the more so because the other two, Watkins and Cash, came from the Championship so we're very much gambling across the board here be it that we're dropping much more money per player as you'd hope.
ffs the season hasnt even started and your on the back foot look of the positive side and thik what if all 3 do work out and we also have players to come back and then there is young barry and the american lad also in the mix and we have players fighting for a place in the team maybe jacks going and there is a number 10 shirt up for grabs

Its great to see new players coming in, but when are some of the crap going to move on ( Hogan) for one. It shows how bad some are that are still here. Or are we going to foot some of their wages by going on loan.
you will find its not because the hogan is crap but because he is on big money and still under contract so good look to him if he can get the money and not have to play would you not do the same

Traore looks a bit of a mixed bag that divides opinion. Most people who have watched him do agree that he has something our current wingers don't - blistering pace. Which is good news for Watkins who is no slouch either. So clearly an upgrade in that department.
As for Rashica I would love to hear the news that we have got him too but the longer if rumbles on and hearing he's not exactly sold on the idea of joining us (unlike Traore who wants to play for us) I have my doubts. I really hope I'm wrong as it would really make a statement if we can get him.

Assuming Rashica, Martinez and Traore sign I would be reasonably content with our business. I was hoping I'd be blown away but I certainly feel a damn sight more comfortable now than 2 weeks ago. Rashica, Traore, Watkins as a trio with McGinn, Luiz and Grealish in behind is a highly direct, fast and hard-working group.

Not blown away but pretty content if these 3 final transfers come to fruition.

Also not worried about missing out on Said because I feel Palace are signing him to sit on the bench.