The Summer 2020 Transfer Rumour Thread | Page 278 | Vital Football

The Summer 2020 Transfer Rumour Thread

Football inflation is nothing like real world inflation though.

Tim Cahill in todays market would have easily cost £25 million+ as he was the best player in the division at the time.

I swear we had the option to buy him from Milwall if my memory isn’t playing tricks on me for tiny money.

He wouldn’t be sat on the sky sports couch like he is today if we had ruined him.

Yeah I think that’s the point for me on Targett. He’s decent going forwards but shaky at the back so that probably puts him as average overall and players who are genuinely good all round are few and far between. Man City used to play Delph at left back, Liverpool played Milner there for a season and Man U played Ashley Young there for several seasons after paying huge money for Shaw so that tells you the difficulties in that position

Definitely, even in a more defensive side they need to be able to do everything. Look at how much of the ball Konsa saw when he was RB and we were decided less 'gung-ho' than before the restart.

A lot of the best fullbacks now started as midfielders TAA and Kimich come to mind. Even Lahm was converted to a midfielder at times for Germany. Alba for Munich playing LB and CB for Munich but CM for Austria. In all honesty I think England should be playing TAA in CM as well.

All joking aside @Bonker Targett would easily fetch 25M in-spite of his inability to defend. The types of teams who'd want Targett aren't really looking to sit back so he'd see a lot of the ball and that is much more valuable.

There really aren't that many good fullbacks out there. Price inflation seems to have climbed fastest for fullbacks who are a shade above decent. Kyle Walker for £50m was particularly hilarious.

Football used to be about finding good wingers who can almost be like a twelfth man if they are a midfielder who can quickly join the attacks and score goals, Ronaldo and Hazard, more recently Mane.

Now the trend is compact the pitch and leave room for the full backs to cover every blade of grass, so if you can find a good ball carrier who is pace and fitness, you can do well. Gone are the days full back used to be the worst players, except some of our left backs. Look at Liverpool and sheff United and how they use them

So we still want to sign a winger, a no.8 and a keeper? Seems to line up what most of us thought. Matty Cash caught most of us by surprise but competition between him and Guilbert can only be a good thing.

Having another no.8 as well as a winger will give us more flexibility again in where to play Jack, as that left sided midfield slot has been patchy. Hourihane's form towards the end was good but was a massive problem position for us through the most of the season when Jack was playing LF.
What on earth is a Nr 8

We desperately need a solid centre half who isn’t going to be caught out of position all the time. Mings has been called up for England but I can’t see why with the performances he put in for us. Maybe he’s seen the light but defensively we’ve a shocking record and despite steadying after the restart keeping the same central defenders as first choice is a massive gamble.

We desperately need a solid centre half who isn’t going to be caught out of position all the time. Mings has been called up for England but I can’t see why with the performances he put in for us. Maybe he’s seen the light but defensively we’ve a shocking record and despite steadying after the restart keeping the same central defenders as first choice is a massive gamble.

:agree:

We could do with another Laursen or Mellberg. The three at the back combined are all promising in their own right but they all have faults and frailties

Yes,some,no,lots,of ropey defending. Not helped by some naieve tactics such as two lightweight wingers and Marvelous expected to be a one man defensive unit. Recent words from Dean suggest that he has learned his lesson.

Now a winger please in this order
Saint-Maximin, Buendia, H.Wilson or Benhrama

50m (which was reported at the start of the window) would have been good business for Watkins and Benhrama given what we just paid for Watkins

I think it implies a goalscoring midfielder a David Platt rather than a Merson who would be a number 10 . To me it's an inside right
Nothing new Villan. My brother is still involved in the game at a decent level and he tells me that an 8 is a wing half and a 10 is an inside forward,more or less. Clear as mud.

Problem with paying 33m for a championship player is who ever we go for now we are going to have our pants pulled down on the transfer fee.

Milot Rashica Update.

Apparently, according to this report, it is now 'conceivable' that he would come to the PL, and possibly Villa.

http://sportwitness.co.uk/aston-villa-milot-rashica-werder-bremen-transfer-25m/

If it's true that he has reservations because he doesn't want to be in a relegation battle, then I'd stay well clear.

I want players who want to be at the club and see potential in it.

If we are in a relegation battle, we don't want bitches like that in the team.