The Summer 2020 Transfer Rumour Thread | Page 277 | Vital Football

The Summer 2020 Transfer Rumour Thread

Strong reports coming that we are close to Martinez.

I think Nyland and Steer are worth keeping as reserves, as Martinez will want it included in his contract that he is the no'1.

Heaton moved on? To good to be sitting on the bench surely?

I would love Martinez.
Perfect age for a goalie.
Just won the FA cup with Arsenal will be chomping at the bit for more and he rightly wants to be a no.1 at this stage.
Seems to have a lot of passion and fit that same personality type as Cash, Watkins.
Experienced but still with a lot of hunger to succeed.

Get him in!

Not interested in that united one.

So we still want to sign a winger, a no.8 and a keeper? Seems to line up what most of us thought. Matty Cash caught most of us by surprise but competition between him and Guilbert can only be a good thing.

Having another no.8 as well as a winger will give us more flexibility again in where to play Jack, as that left sided midfield slot has been patchy. Hourihane's form towards the end was good but was a massive problem position for us through the most of the season when Jack was playing LF.

Hourihane on the left side of midfield, along with Targett, is going to look a glaring weakness with Jack in the middle and Watkins, and hopefully King, ahead of them ...

I think Nyland and Steer are worth keeping as reserves, as Martinez will want it included in his contract that he is the no'1.

I'm not sure any player can have it written into a contract that they are a first team starter - it has to be based on performance. If he drops a few clangers (ala Kalinic, Nyland) he will be out and replaced.
I like Steer myself, but dont think Deano rates him as PL quality. Before we had even beaten Derby at Wembley he'd made the decision to get an experienced quality keeper.

Happy with Watkins. I think these days you have to try to ignore the fees because they’re all well over the top. He can score goals and if he was well regarded previously as a winger it shows he’s must have a bit more about his game than “just” a goal scorer. Hopefully he can step it up to the PL, if so he could be a great signing

With a tough old first season in the Prem under our belt and with the improvement we demonstrated in our play going into the last few games of last season we should be better equipped to have a stronger campaign this time around. The experience will bode well for the team overall. With Cash and Watkins tearing up the Championship for fun they will be eager to make a name for themselves in the big boys league.
I still think we need a couple of calmer, wiser heads in the first eleven and the experience and quality Martinez and King could offer fits the bill. We could be looking at a very capable squad within the next Month or so.

A solid centre back and also a midfielder both first teamers and we'll be in a good place. Reckon we could surprise a few this season

After spunking £40m+ on Joelinton last Summer, they are probably keeping their heads down

Every signing is a gamble.
Joelinton has been a disaster at the toon for £40m. Moise Keane at Everton for £36. Arsenal and MANU fans wouldn't say they got a good return on investment so far with Pepe at £72m and Pogba £86m. In Spain, Hazard, Griezeman, Felix all went at £100m a pop and had terrible seasons. Ben Chillwell is no more than decent and he's up for 50m. Odds are that at least a few of the expensive signings bought this transfer window will fail.

So many of these players end up being defined by their price tags and the fans are as much to blame as anyone. I remember the Toon fans being ecstatic they'd signed someone for £45m, never mind that none had heard of him let alone seen him play. Bruce then plays him out of position and the guy is now "that £45m flop" all because the club were taking pelters for letting Perez go.

Watkins, Cash, Wesley, whoever, hopefully they don't feel themselves carrying that price tag around on the pitch because their job his hard enough.

A solid centre back and also a midfielder both first teamers and we'll be in a good place. Reckon we could surprise a few this season

Be surprised if we sign another CB.

Mings, Engels, Konsa and Hause, I feel will be the CB's that Smith will be using over this coming season. Cant really see any of them being replaced. And if Cash is a RWB then Guilbert could even be deployed a RCB.

Now that would be a great signing

There really aren't that many good fullbacks out there. Price inflation seems to have climbed fastest for fullbacks who are a shade above decent. Kyle Walker for £50m was particularly hilarious.

I’d have thought somebody would have gone after Tavernier at Glasgow Rangers. He looks like a good player.

Now we have Ollie Watkins, the reports are beginning regarding Samatta being tracked by Besiktas.

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sp...aston-villa-striker-gathers-transfer-18905879

Now I feel if we don't get another forward in, Samatta could do well playing alongside Ollie. I'd prefer to see Davis either sold or go out on loan. Don't forget, he only had his contract extended by 6 months if I recall correctly, while Samatta has a 4 1/2 year contract.

Now we have Ollie Watkins, the reports are beginning regarding Samatta being tracked by Besiktas.

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sp...aston-villa-striker-gathers-transfer-18905879

Now I feel if we don't get another forward in, Samatta could do well playing alongside Ollie. I'd prefer to see Davis either sold or go out on loan. Don't forget, he only had his contract extended by 6 months if I recall correctly, while Samatta has a 4 1/2 year contract.
Samatta probably won't be a problem wage wise and we should be looking to make a profit if we sell him. Can't see a side from Turkey offering more than we paid. He may be a better fit this season and go up in value and it's always good to have competition and cover in critical positions.

If we can get our money back however, we should certainly consider it - we need to offload the make-weights in the squad.

Last edited:
There really aren't that many good fullbacks out there. Price inflation seems to have climbed fastest for fullbacks who are a shade above decent. Kyle Walker for £50m was particularly hilarious.
Yeah I think that’s the point for me on Targett. He’s decent going forwards but shaky at the back so that probably puts him as average overall and players who are genuinely good all round are few and far between. Man City used to play Delph at left back, Liverpool played Milner there for a season and Man U played Ashley Young there for several seasons after paying huge money for Shaw so that tells you the difficulties in that position

In regards to Samatta and Davis, I think it depends on how ambitious we are as a club.

Neither of them I feel will make it as a top 6 PL forward. So on that basis, I feel the club should listen and consider any serious offers.

In regards to Samatta and Davis, I think it depends on how ambitious we are as a club.

Neither of them I feel will make it as a top 6 PL forward. So on that basis, I feel the club should listen and consider any serious offers.
We’re along way off being top 6. If we made the decision to dump anyone who isn’t top 6 quality we wouldn’t be left with much!