The Summer 2020 Transfer Rumour Thread | Page 275 | Vital Football

The Summer 2020 Transfer Rumour Thread

Or 20 million on an ex Porto, Monaco, Real Madrid, Bayern, World Cup golden boot winning striker who has only just turned 29.

Or at least show some ambition by trying .

Or at least show some ambition by targeting similarly well known established, experienced in top flight players .

I’m quite frankly staggered we are paying in this amount for Watkins. Not my money but it’s absolutely barmy. Let’s not dress it up as anymore than a huge gamble.

Yes any signing is a gamble but you can still gamble considering evidence based on what a player has actually done. Even Wilson , who I was not advocating, is a better bet than Watkins based on what he has done.
Rodriguez was on 200k a week. How much Everton paying him?

Lol he's scored 15 goals last 3 seasons in 51 games. I reckon he'll flop and Everton will have mediocre season

Last edited:
Tammy would be worth it. No question. But ... was a deal this year ever on? Is he still committed to fighting for his place at Chelsea? Did we ask? I wouldn't be surprised if we did.

Benrahma is a no for me at Brentford prices. Get king in and play Jack, Watkins and King as a 3. Then go out and break the bank on a "quality" midfield player to play with Luiz and McGinn.
King is a spud. I had a reputation on Fantasy Football Scout beginning of last season saying avoid him. Everyone wanted him because 2 "easy" games first up including us. He scored penalty from Heaton brain explosion and loads were laughing at my advice then he went to junk and everyone got rid. People can say fantasy isn't relevant but he was cheap in game due to lack of goals and assists

Over the moon we have, almost, got the deal done and we have got our main transfer target in!
Yes we paid over the odds by about 5 million on the £28 mentioned but if his goals keep us in the Prem league with improvements each season then money well spent by the club. Nice that the cash will keep Brentford and Exeter in Buisness compared to giving it to overseas clubs like most of the other clubs in the Prem are doing.
Im happier than last week with these 2 great signings with maybe 3 more to come.
wanted a goal scorer who can head goals, two footed and we now have him.
Happy days, positive about staying up .

Rodriguez was on 200k a week. How much Everton paying him?

Lol he's scored 15 goals last 3 seasons in 51 games. I reckon he'll flop and Everton will have mediocre season

70 - 90 grand a week according to various reports
Taken a half pay cut apparently from the 140 - 200 reported salary at Madrid

Brilliant deal if true.

Zidane didn't play him . Like he has with Bale I guess.

Lol.Suppose we would prefer Benrahma over Bale as well.

And Ancelotti who many would absolutely love at VP knows a thing or 2 about players . So I will trust that he thinks there is still something about him.

Last edited:
Tammy has scored 23 goals for Bristol City in the EFL as well as his goals for us you mention.
15 in 36 games for Chelsea.
Completed a season loan for Swansea in the premier league before he came to us.
Played for England.

Watkins. One high scoring season in the EFL and has played for Exeter and Weston Super Mare.

Quite rightly Tammy is expensive in todays market. Far superior to Watkins.

I don't think you should knock the Weston Super Mare market.

70 - 90 grand a week according to various reports
Taken a half pay cut apparently from the 140 - 200 reported salary at Madrid

Brilliant deal if true.

Zidane didn't play him . Like he has with Bale I guess.

Lol.Suppose we would prefer Benrahma over Bale as well.

And Ancelotti who many would absolutely love at VP knows a thing or 2 about players . So I will trust that he thinks there is still something about him.

Im not sure you could get Bale in our current wage structure sadly.

Don't know why people keep throwing Rodriguez's goal scoring back at me.

Strikers scoring is not an essential part of the game anymore. :grinning:

Don't know why people keep throwing Rodriguez's goal scoring back at me.

Strikers scoring is not an essential part of the game anymore. :grinning:

He has 20m more social media followers than Liverpool, imagine the shirt revenue he’ll generate along with his contribution of 10 goals in a season?

Only joking, I would’ve loved Ancelotti here signing players like that. Gutted it’s Everton that have struck gold with those two and not us. Nothing against Everton, we are clubs in similar stature but we seem to be acting small time with our celebrations at staying in the league.

Last edited:
Watkins is our main transfer target? Oh dear this is going to be another tough season.
Or he could be a revelation, along with some of our other signings?

I share similar reservations but ultimately our hands are tied. Go back a month and people on here were talking up the need to sign 'top quality' and how we should be pushing for 10th. Never was realistic given our constraints.

Many of us need to revise down expectations in the short term. This season is clearly about consolidation and we should build from there. Let's just hope the players we do sign can deliver this.

He has 20m more social media followers than Liverpool, imagine the shirt revenue he’ll generate along with his contribution of 10 goals in a season?

Only joking, I would’ve loved Ancelotti here signing players like that. Gutted it’s Everton that have struck gold with those two and not us. Nothing against Everton, we are clubs in similar stature but we seem to be acting small time with our celebrations at staying in the league.

Thing is it didn't happen over night at Everton. Their owner has been there 5 years and only now starting to flex his muscles.

We have the added disadvantage of having been in the championship so hamstrung by FFP for a few years.

Everton is a good model to follow but sadly we're at a different part of the journey. Give it another 4 years and maybe we can be signing players like this?

Thing is it didn't happen over night at Everton. Their owner has been there 5 years and only now starting to flex his muscles.

We have the added disadvantage of having been in the championship so hamstrung by FFP for a few years.

Everton is a good model to follow but sadly we're at a different part of the journey. Give it another 4 years and maybe we can be signing players like this?

Yes completely, and shows how much in terms of progression and mindset that relegation did to us as a club. Yes, it was fun and we managed to tick a few new stadiums off and be able to celebrate being relatively successful even if it was through the back door, but if we had held onto the premier league status and assuming the new owners came in anyway, we could be in a better position to attract.

It’s all ifs and buts, because who knows what would’ve happened at ownership level had we not gone down - could still have Randy or a fraudulent Doctor in charge.

Ironically we currently seem to be following the Everton model from early 2000s when they signed players like Cahill, Baines, Jagielka etc...

Didn't do them any harm.

One of the best performances I’ve ever seen from an away side at VP, around that era maybe 2002-03 when they came to Villa Park and smashed us 3-1 on our own patch with some of those players. Very impressive

Tammy has scored 23 goals for Bristol City in the EFL as well as his goals for us you mention.
15 in 36 games for Chelsea.
Completed a season loan for Swansea in the premier league before he came to us.
Played for England.

Watkins. One high scoring season in the EFL and has played for Exeter and Weston Super Mare.

Quite rightly Tammy is expensive in todays market. Far superior to Watkins.
You missed his other seasons at Brentford scoring 10 from the wings.

Tammy is a year on from where Watkins is now, with the luxury and opportunities that being a Chelsea graduate brings. Watkins has had to fight his way up - that's a positive not a negative.