The Stadium! | Page 124 | Vital Football

The Stadium!

Levy's head of communications is just checking with the guy in charge of the NFL to make sure the wording for the press release is OK. We had to wait for California to wake up :-)

Guessing that just referred to the THST minutes from their meeting with Levy and Cullen.

From what I read we can expect first game announcement in next couple weeks.

Levy says if it wasn't for safety issues stadium would have been "ready" for Liverpool game but clarified saying a lot of the exterior work has been brought forward from the summer - so we were going to be playing in a building site the whole season as many expected.

Guessing that just referred to the THST minutes from their meeting with Levy and Cullen.

Levy says if it wasn't for safety issues stadium would have been "ready" for Liverpool game but clarified saying a lot of the exterior work has been brought forward from the summer - so we were going to be playing in a building site the whole season as many expected.

I didn't like the sound of playing in a building site. When playing in a new stadium to be proud of you want it presented right.

Must have been some kind of interview today. Seeing quotes from Levy on SSN talking about stadium overspend not impacting transfers.

C.mon, the pitch was only laid about 7 days ago, unless that too was a safety issue as we didn't want our players getting injured on concrete!

I can believe they'd have rushed certain aspects that they didn't because of the other delays. I just think it would have looked completely unfinished and not much of a TV spectacle.
Exactly ......... Just like people sometimes move into a house on a new build estate when houses and roads all around them are still under construction. Not pretty or ideal but needs must sometimes come before pride

C.mon, the pitch was only laid about 7 days ago, unless that too was a safety issue as we didn't want our players getting injured on concrete!
CS ,the pitch was being grown in Holland . Our groundsmen were looking after it , and had been for the previous eight months . It could have been laid whenever it was prudent . Leaving it growing in Holland had no detrimental effect at all .
Certain aspects of the exterior certainly look they could never have been ready to allow the safe passage of sixty odd thousand so there must have been stringent contingency plans to allow a game to go ahead . What I do know is that road closures had been planned and local residents had been informed of hour by hour changes for accessibility to their houses and businesses. Bus routes were being altered and extra trains were planned . All of it was well documented online and in leaflets delivered to every address . I am absolutely certain that the club wouldn't have gone to such lengths if the bindippers game was never going to go ahead as planned

Really interesting reading on Skyscrapercity forum . Posters on there reporting on DLs statement to the TH trust that work is only going on to the external now because of the safety delay . It was always planned to suspend ALLexternal works before the bindippers game , lay temporary Tarmac to all walkways , and only return to site after the last game of this season . Because of the delays ,works to paving , veil, ,Sky walkway and bar and all other building works have been rescheduled and brought forward . The sky walk and bar will still not be in operation until next season .
The temporary Tarmac to the walkways on the approach to the ground now makes perfect sense as it could have been laid in a matter of days , is walkable immediately after it is laid , easy to remove for the final block paving to be fitted and provides a stable and safe concourse .

The outside of the stadium would have been left in a sorry ,but perfectly safe state . As it is now ,when we do get a game there it will look much better

Thanks for your compilation of snippets WW. Appreciated. I used to view the live cams almost on a daily basis, but most seem to have been disabled and I just get to see the stills at the bottom of the page and being long range shots, don't provide the details.

To me it’s pretty obvious that lots of areas around the stadium we’re never going to make it on time. Even looking at it now, there’s are huge areas a good way off from being finished. Ok we could have opened with limited finishing but what we’ll have will now will be stunning at the opening.

I have never seen a project of this magnitude get completed on time.

So the therapy sessions aren't really necessary if you look at it pragmatically.

It would be great to be in it. But we aren't. So savour the anticipation.

So the therapy sessions aren't really necessary if you look at it pragmatically.

As I see it 80, we are NOT ,behind schedule . I think we have not been given the full facts from day one .
Daniel Levy is now saying it was NEVER ! the clubs intention to complete before the start of the 18/19 season .......the intention was to get it ready . Obviously ,we now know ,they failed to get it to a state of readiness until the 15 th of September , a delay of about a month . Levy has publicly said that had it not been for the wiring / safety problems uncovered at a very untimely date then they would have met the date for the bindippers game , shut the site down and returned next close season .
The delay in being able to name a date of readiness to play a match has allowed the contractors a window to bring forward external works to the public areas and external skin/ veil to the stadium walls .
Levy has also said that the push for readiness for the September deadline has allowed him to abandon the unlimited overtime agreements that were required ,which has saved an estimated £8 million ,although he didn't say when that 8 m was factored in .
I don't think the club have been very forthcoming with all the important details which has led to a hell of a lot of misconceptions

I didn't like the sound of playing in a building site. When playing in a new stadium to be proud of you want it presented right.
Nick , we were playing in a building site all of last season , stands were being demolished in between games and the northern part of the stadium was coming out of the ground . That's the reason we had to play champions league games at Wembley because Uefa wouldn't sanction games being played on building sites with considerably reduced facilities .
I understand your thoughts though on the presentation effect on a world class stadium . From what DL has just said ,at least it's going to look better than at first planned . Thankfull , mercies and small come to mind

I still think to deliver this in 18 months is remarkable.

Every major building project I’ve been involved with, I’ve been presented way back at the planning stage with timeline charts. On them has been every activity, including finishing activities, paint, landscaping etc. , even final clean. Levy etc would have had all the activities detailed from the planning stage. Dates for completion of every stage, sub stage and a coordination between different stages would be shown. So for people to say they didn’t know what would be completed and when, is nonsense. So either contractors didn’t make THEIR dates and put the overall thing out or we were sold a load of cobblers about the ‘ready’ date for it to be used.

But as Topspur1 has said, for it to be ready this quick really is remarkable and as ‘80’ has said, let’s savour the anticipation of what is to come. Thing is we’re all excited like kids about our new home. It’s natural to get a bit impatient, part of the thing really. I will say this, a part finished stadium would have been an anticlimax when we let the press, media and public in. But when it’s fully finished and the public see it and the saliva runs, that will be satisfying to our fans.

I’ve just come back from Uganda. As you may be aware, the majority of Africans are goon, or at least were. This year, I saw a lot of Spurs shirts being worn, which is a huge swing around. There’s also a few Chavs shirts being worn but there were never Spurs kit being bought. This year was entirely different. I think Arsenal have taken a big hit in terms of popularity. In Kitgum in the north, I saw about three in about half an hour.

Last edited:
Tel,
Regarding your new thread that 80 wants you to move to here , I would be very cautious about the Plastics game being the first at the new stadium . The club have made no announcements about any game being played there . At the start of the season the bindippers match was scheduled on the web site as the first . They obviously changed that ,and a raft of others to Wembley . The Chelscum game is now the first of the next batch that may or may not be changed . I'm not saying that this game will not be the the first ,but it hasn't been announced yet . Just wouldn't be making any plans until there is an official announcement

Last edited: