The Russian Situation Thread | Page 3 | Vital Football

The Russian Situation Thread

I sometimes wonder if they're just waiting for someone to drop a bollock so they can ramp up their old cold war rhetoric. Putin has to be bored, he is a former KGB agent I bet he misses the action.

As I googled some of the Russia stuff I came across some funny old articles about them planning an invasion of Ireland. It is pretty funny that we as a significant piece of the technological world puzzle don't give a fuck about military spending. They'd have the country locked down in an hour with two or planes and a ship full of lads.

I think we've the largest territorial waters in Europe and about 5 ships to patrol it and no air force, save for about 5 planes and a helicopter. We've just decided if England wants to patrol its west border, which borders Ireland you'll have to go out to the West Coast of Ireland to patrol. So funny.

I haven’t come across this but I assume they mean a technological invasion not a physical one.

In terms of any physical threat from Russia, when you look at countries such as Finland which probably has similar military statistics to Ireland, an EU army probably makes sense.

I sometimes wonder if they're just waiting for someone to drop a bollock so they can ramp up their old cold war rhetoric. Putin has to be bored, he is a former KGB agent I bet he misses the action.

As I googled some of the Russia stuff I came across some funny old articles about them planning an invasion of Ireland. It is pretty funny that we as a significant piece of the technological world puzzle don't give a fuck about military spending. They'd have the country locked down in an hour with two or planes and a ship full of lads.

I think we've the largest territorial waters in Europe and about 5 ships to patrol it and no air force, save for about 5 planes and a helicopter. We've just decided if England wants to patrol its west border, which borders Ireland you'll have to go out to the West Coast of Ireland to patrol. So funny.

In fairness, if Ireland spent 20% of GDP on military equipment, it still wouldn't stand a chance against a serious invasion. Military spending is almost a waste of money for smaller nations.

Thankfully, Ireland has a huge ocean on one side and a peaceful continent on the other.

Putrid Putin is getting too bloody cocky.

Thankfully his mate Trumpton has been fucked off so hopefully Biden will get involved in the middle east a bit and push these Russian back into their places at least a bit.
Lol, steady on Pride. They are probably reading this - do you really want a knock at your door in the middle of the night or to get 'accidentally' stabbed with the tip of an umbrella while walking down the street?

:ROFLMAO:

I haven’t come across this but I assume they mean a technological invasion not a physical one.

In terms of any physical threat from Russia, when you look at countries such as Finland which probably has similar military statistics to Ireland, an EU army probably makes sense.
Not sure about an EU army making sense.
It would depend on who is commanding it.
Given the EUs shit stirring in the old Russian satellite states in recent years, and then backing away and leaving them to it, an EU army is more likely to be used to keep its own dissenting citizens in order.

I don’t know what to think about the BBC coverage of the Russian situation.

In typical BBC fashion when it’s a situation in a hostile country, it’s very biased towards the one side - they only interview people with the view they want and “everyone they talk to” seems to believe what they want to report.

Perhaps they’re right and there is a big uprising happening, but a few thousand outliers is manageable for Vlad if that’s the reality. A long way off civil unrest I would imagine, the only thing I do know is that Russian is not a country where the wealth is spread across the masses so I don’t get why they do put up with it.

I do know is that Russian is not a country where the wealth is spread across the masses so I don’t get why they do put up with it.

Military might, force of the police, brutal way they are treated and imprisoned, fear, intimidation and for many, not knowing anything other than this sort of totalitarian rule

I don’t know what to think about the BBC coverage of the Russian situation.

In typical BBC fashion when it’s a situation in a hostile country, it’s very biased towards the one side - they only interview people with the view they want and “everyone they talk to” seems to believe what they want to report.

Perhaps they’re right and there is a big uprising happening, but a few thousand outliers is manageable for Vlad if that’s the reality. A long way off civil unrest I would imagine, the only thing I do know is that Russian is not a country where the wealth is spread across the masses so I don’t get why they do put up with it.
The BBC always have a narrative.
They had it in Brexit, they had it in BLM, they had it in the London climate demos,
and when Paris was burning, and more recently Holland riots, hardly a word.
If it dont fit what they want make it fit or ignore it.

The BBC always have a narrative.
They had it in Brexit, they had it in BLM, they had it in the London climate demos,
and when Paris was burning, and more recently Holland riots, hardly a word.
If it dont fit what they want make it fit or ignore it.

Yep, I don’t think they’re giving two sides to the story. He still has a favourable approval rating, but of course they only give the one side of the story, where all three people they interview - guess what - want him out. It gives a distorted reality that isn’t true.

Not just the BBC it's most media outlets, they all put their own slant on nearly every story
Be very interesting to see how this new news channel GBNews shapes up. It is promising both unbiased and controversial content.
Its headed up by Andrew Neil, so I am expecting great things of it.

Not just the BBC it's most media outlets, they all put their own slant on nearly every story

Is news bias new or are we just aware of it now?
What is a neutral position?
How does someone represent an unbiased opinion?
Do we want every issue to be represented by an equal amount of each viewpoint?
Does that give too much oxygen to the "wrong" view.

It's a very interesting subject and maybe explains why we have ended up with half of US watching Fox and half CNN. With all the problems that has caused there.

I watch UK news, CNN and other channels even including RT.
Then I try to make my own mind up on where the truth lies.

Last edited:
Be very interesting to see how this new news channel GBNews shapes up. It is promising both unbiased and controversial content.
Its headed up by Andrew Neil, so I am expecting great things of it.

It’ll be whatever the backers want it to be I imagine! If I was investing a fair share of the £60m, I’d want it tailored to the messages I want people to hear.

I assume it’s a sky channel?

It's a very interesting subject and maybe explains why we have ended up with half of US watching Fox and half CNN. With all the problems that has caused there.

Then I try to make up my own mind up on where the truth lies.

That's a good couple of questions at the top, most people are aware of what it being said, but aren’t aware of what’s not being said. And that’s the bit that takes skill.

My in law buys the daily Mail, and he’s as far away from a stereotypical daily Mail reader as you can get, being of Polish descent. I asked him why he bought it and he said he likes to argue with it - and I liked that way of treating the media fed to us.

I find RT a fascinating watch. You have to bear in mind their basic aims for the channel, but they will say things that you do not hear on "western" media.
Some of it isn't far off conspiracy theory but some of it talks about cloaked power within our system ....that is interesting at least to consider.

Especially at the moment with Gamestop going on.
:jangel:

Then I try to make my own mind up on where the truth lies.

Yes so do I, I've always had a mind of my own so my mother used to say

It’ll be whatever the backers want it to be I imagine! If I was investing a fair share of the £60m, I’d want it tailored to the messages I want people to hear.

I assume it’s a sky channel?
As far as I can see, no its not Sky.
It is expected to be right leaning to counter BBC and Sky.