The Russian Situation Thread | Page 2 | Vital Football

The Russian Situation Thread

Wonder if a post-Britain EU will impose sanctions on Russia for this? My bet is plenty of talks and no action.

The major supplier of energy, so why punish a nation not in the EU and not a democracy? The Russians are largely in support, except the educated and those who have lived and studied abroad. Not the EU’s problem really, as bad as it is.

It’s hardly shocking though, just weeks after Putin set himself up for life. As Putin gets older and more conservative, there will be uprisings in Russia if he’s still in power as it seems he will be.

Interestingly, I was preparing materials for our Stage 5 students about the future and I found an article from The Economist where the fella talks about life in 2050.

A lot of the talk was about population decline. Russia is going to be badly effected and will turn its focus inwards as its population ages and shrinks.

Interestingly, I was preparing materials for our Stage 5 students about the future and I found an article from The Economist where the fella talks about life in 2050.

A lot of the talk was about population decline. Russia is going to be badly effected and will turn its focus inwards as its population ages and shrinks.

There’s plenty of cheap labour about in the world though willing to cross the globe for a better life. Even if that means living in -20 degrees Moscow

Just read that BB and it sounds a very optimistic forcast based on where we are at the moment.
What did your stage 5 students think.

EU nations and western organisations busy condemning Russia... let’s see who has the balls to place sanctions on the Ruskies

Just watching RT, English woman in her 60’s says the use of a chemical weapon isn’t any business of NATO as it’s on Russian soil

Not strictly Russia, but a Belarussian opposition leader has been 'detained'...

Masked men have apparently detained a leading opposition figure in Belarus.

Witnesses saw Maria Kolesnikova being bundled into a minibus in Minsk and driven away, local media report.

She was one of three women who joined forces ahead of August's presidential election to challenge incumbent Alexander Lukashenko.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-54056634

I've been keeping my eye on the oil market recently. One interesting thing I came across is that Russia is turning it's focus away from Europe and towards China as an oil market.

Generally, it looks like Russia is going to start pulling back from the world stage, at least from a European perspective.

Interestingly, the US might start doing the same since their energy needs are no longer tied to the Middle East.

Is this the end of globalisation?

I am reading this excellent book at the moment called From Russia with Blood. Highly recommend it. It is about Putin's rise to power and his willingness to eliminated ALL dissenting voices . He is a real Bond villain. And the worst thing is the likes of Bush and Blair sucked up to this mass murdering drug dealer.
If you like this subject get this book!

purin.jpg

I've been keeping my eye on the oil market recently. One interesting thing I came across is that Russia is turning it's focus away from Europe and towards China as an oil market.

Generally, it looks like Russia is going to start pulling back from the world stage, at least from a European perspective.

Interestingly, the US might start doing the same since their energy needs are no longer tied to the Middle East.

Is this the end of globalisation?

Yes, Russia and China seem to be getting closer and closer.

It makes the debate in the US about trying to make Russia seem like friends and China the enemy all the more bizarre.

Pretty powerful pairing Russia and China in the future.

Outside of Putin and Oligarchs, Russia is a poor country so economically perhaps the longer term strategy to join forces with a China rather than a Europe that seeks to always put a ceiling on Russia is in their interests?

The one good I guess about globalisation is that it inevitably brings with it a much greater influence on world peace. If we have a sub divided world split into three or four parts who do not trade and have differing beliefs, does that give rise to a greater chance of wars on a greater scale than current proxy wars, with Europe being a potential middle ground. Scary to think about, but there must be a high chance statistically of a big war at some point.

Outside of Putin and Oligarchs, Russia is a poor country so economically perhaps the longer term strategy to join forces with a China rather than a Europe that seeks to always put a ceiling on Russia is in their interests?

The one good I guess about globalisation is that it inevitably brings with it a much greater influence on world peace. If we have a sub divided world split into three or four parts who do not trade and have differing beliefs, does that give rise to a greater chance of wars on a greater scale than current proxy wars, with Europe being a potential middle ground. Scary to think about, but there must be a high chance statistically of a big war at some point.
That is as maybe, but the west should never make the mistake of taking its eye off the ball with Russia.
Russia will always take advantage of any situation it can to further its global interests.

There is a state in Malaysia called Sabah. They are having regional elections over there at the moment and the hot topic is independence. Sabah and Sarawak joined Malaya (to create Malaysia) because they were scared of being overrun by Indonesia.

That was 57 years ago but the prospect of one country invading another one seems ridiculous at the moment (unless it's the US). I'm not sure that will last and we might see outbreaks of regional warfare as the US withdraws as the global policeman.

There is a state in Malaysia called Sabah. They are having regional elections over there at the moment and the hot topic is independence. Sabah and Sarawak joined Malaya (to create Malaysia) because they were scared of being overrun by Indonesia.

That was 57 years ago but the prospect of one country invading another one seems ridiculous at the moment (unless it's the US). I'm not sure that will last and we might see outbreaks of regional warfare as the US withdraws as the global policeman.

I think I’ve been to Sabah, Kote Kinabalu right? Lovely place, albeit a lot more conservative than Malaysia. Sort of place once you get out of the tourist area the locals start looking at you out of intrigue, but I quite like that.

There are countries invading countries, the problem is take Crimea on the one side the west believes it’s Ukraine yet probably 90% of people in the area see themselves as Russian and the Russians see it as Russia.

It’s not inconceivable to see much bigger invasions than this in the future. Whether that’s in the next few decades, century, who knows.

I don’t know if China has any disputed land, perhaps Taiwan? As they get more powerful and join forces with the Russians, especially the US retreat a little from the world stage (which I can’t see happening), China would be the country to watch out for this. Already lots of disputed land in the South Pacific, it’s noticeable how much China has upped his voice on the world stage in the last decade. They were quietly going about their business before, but it seems no more Mr Nice guy from them.

Last edited:
We all know Russia tries to invade our airspace every week with their bombers etc, but it's becoming more often that we're finding spy ships off our shores, not only that but submarines right off our coast next ? Russia taking the piss a bit ?

(My map no copyright infringement)

View attachment 43540

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/worl...ff-scotland/ar-BB1aSvE4?ocid=msedgntp#image=4

It gives the navy something to do. Keeps them on their toes and all that.

I sometimes wonder if they're just waiting for someone to drop a bollock so they can ramp up their old cold war rhetoric. Putin has to be bored, he is a former KGB agent I bet he misses the action.

As I googled some of the Russia stuff I came across some funny old articles about them planning an invasion of Ireland. It is pretty funny that we as a significant piece of the technological world puzzle don't give a fuck about military spending. They'd have the country locked down in an hour with two or planes and a ship full of lads.

I think we've the largest territorial waters in Europe and about 5 ships to patrol it and no air force, save for about 5 planes and a helicopter. We've just decided if England wants to patrol its west border, which borders Ireland you'll have to go out to the West Coast of Ireland to patrol. So funny.

Putrid Putin is getting too bloody cocky.

Thankfully his mate Trumpton has been fucked off so hopefully Biden will get involved in the middle east a bit and push these Russian back into their places at least a bit.