The Ross McCormack Thread | Page 17 | Vital Football

The Ross McCormack Thread

JuanPabloAngel - 25/1/2018 21:46

1958Villan - 25/1/2018 21:32

It all really depends on what McCormack wants doesn't it?
If he wants to have a career, he needs to buckle down and earn the chance.
If he buggers it up again, it should mean his contract is torn up, with no compensation due to him from the club because he'll have broken the contract.

Yes, I've often wondered it would take for a player to be held in breach of contract, they seem to get away with blue murder at times.
I have just read" Inbrief"re pro footballers contracts, and it sounds as if we would have great difficulty terminating his contract, whatever he does.
That probably explains why Flabby is stillwith us. Interesting read, sorry dont know how too link.

DeanoVilla - 25/1/2018 19:43

david-avfc - 25/1/2018 19:37

His current club don’t seem to be having any issues with his discipline.

Yeah right -

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/football/a-league/teams/melbourne-city/why-melbourne-city-striker-ross-mccormack-was-dropped-for-last-weeks-clash-with-brisbane/news-story/450ce348ddca91e79dc83ab8ab07774a

MELBOURNE City striker Ross McCormack is understood to have been internally suspended for last week’s clash with Brisbane.

The Scottish international, on loan from Aston Villa, was a conspicuous absentee from City’s team sheet for the clash with the Roar, with the club’s explanation post-match being that he was out with an Achilles injury.

And while true that the 31-year-old has been battling an Achilles complaint that has required painkilling injections, the Herald Sun can reveal that the real reason for his absence last week was that he was stood down by coach Warren Joyce.

It is understood McCormack arrived exceptionally late to training one morning last week, leaving Joyce none-too-pleased.

I think I remember reading that now actually

But, he’s still playing for them in most or all of their games and everything I’ve read suggests they are keen to keep him on, so they can’t be too bothered about his attitude.

Smacks of desperation ..... no chance of any incoming up front , er I know we got that bloke down under. No thanks. If he proves me wrong then so be it.

wittonite - 25/1/2018 21:55

Interesting read, sorry dont know how too link.

If you copy the address of the website from the address bar (highlight, right click, copy) and then paste (right click, paste)into a comment, that should do.

Sorry, not meaning to be patronising - not sure how much you don't know! :14:

BodyButter - 25/1/2018 22:47

He's a terrible signing. We should try to cut our losses.

We don't need players like that.

what, ones that score at every club they go to barring us?

We don't need your sort here, this is a local club, for local people... :17: :17:

The Fear - 26/1/2018 08:06

BodyButter - 25/1/2018 22:47

He's a terrible signing. We should try to cut our losses.

We don't need players like that.

what, ones that score at every club they go to barring us?

We don't need your sort here, this is a local club, for local people... :17: :17:

Exactly! No outsiders required.

Seriously though, he has caused trouble everywhere he's been. We just don't need that stuff.

He scores goals but he is unprofessional and corrosive.

Let's just look at it from a purely footballing standpoint and ignore the discipline issues for a minute...

If you look at his goalscoring record then it stacks up statistically. However, when you remove free-kicks and penalties it's decidedly average. Given that we have Snodgrass and Hourihane that take a good free-kick I can't see him getting many chances from dead ball situations.
Positionally he's what we might call a "tweener." He doesn't have the vision or the guile of a true "number 10" and neither the size and/or pace of a number 9. He's not going to get in-behind/off the shoulder with pace, and he certainly won't be holding off defenders and bringing others into the game with his back-to-goal.
In a 4-3-3 he'd be useless in a wide position (and would probably sulk) and beyond useless as a centre-forward.
In a 4-4-2 (or 4-4-1-1 if you prefer) he MIGHT do a job playing behind the main striker, but would he be a better option than Grealish, (or Onomah, Hourihane, Lansbury)? And would he work back and chase down opponents (something that Mr Grealish has been doing very well recently and hey presto his performances have improved)
In a 4-2-3-1 see above.
In a 3-5-2, maybe as the second striker, but let's face it, 3-5-2 hasn't worked for us since Sir Brian used it to extend the career of God. And would any manager change their system that drastically for Ross McCormack?

I think the most damning indictment of him overall as a footballer is that he hasn't been able to get a sniff of a squad place for a poor Scotland team.

In my opinion he was a bad buy for the club. It's almost like we looked at the previous season's scoring charts and said "we'll have him" with no thought to whether he is a truly productive player in a proper team.

So, there you have it, my very non-biased football analysis of Ross McCormack! :3: :6: :8:

sirdennis - 26/1/2018 09:23

That's a very good post gmvillan.

meh!

(Thanks for alert JPA) Will use that amongst other doo dahs for a front page summary of the Ross question and how we've all reacted.

:35:

I'm not sure everyone is answering the same question. The question raised was 'Would you give him a chance?' not do you think he was a good buy or do you think he can achieve anything if he were given a chance.
Some of the above posts highlight the possibilities of whether he has the ability to actually be of any benefit, which may well be perfectly valid. But for me, I would trust the manager to make that decision. I would rather the fans gave him the chance and backed the judgement of the manager, who is best placed to see if he was performing well in training, attitude corrected etc, and then being able to judge if he was offering anything worth using. That is a whole different question, but with such a dearth of striking options just now, I'd rather Bruce at least had the opportunity to make a choice on another striker rather than no choice.

McCormack was our leading scorer under RDM. OK, only 2 goals out of 7. But something.

The arguments about whether he could fit into our system can also be applied to Hogan, who at the moment is flourishing. McCormack knows where he needs to be, and if given the ball knows where to place it.

gmvillan on why Ross McCormack was not a good buy for Aston Villa.

<br><br><a href ="http://www.vitalfootball.co.uk/router.asp?7524164">Click here to read the article</a><br><br>

gmvillan - 26/1/2018 13:30

Let's just look at it from a purely footballing standpoint and ignore the discipline issues for a minute...

If you look at his goalscoring record then it stacks up statistically. However, when you remove free-kicks and penalties it's decidedly average. Given that we have Snodgrass and Hourihane that take a good free-kick I can't see him getting many chances from dead ball situations.
Positionally he's what we might call a "tweener." He doesn't have the vision or the guile of a true "number 10" and neither the size and/or pace of a number 9. He's not going to get in-behind/off the shoulder with pace, and he certainly won't be holding off defenders and bringing others into the game with his back-to-goal.
In a 4-3-3 he'd be useless in a wide position (and would probably sulk) and beyond useless as a centre-forward.
In a 4-4-2 (or 4-4-1-1 if you prefer) he MIGHT do a job playing behind the main striker, but would he be a better option than Grealish, (or Onomah, Hourihane, Lansbury)? And would he work back and chase down opponents (something that Mr Grealish has been doing very well recently and hey presto his performances have improved)
In a 4-2-3-1 see above.
In a 3-5-2, maybe as the second striker, but let's face it, 3-5-2 hasn't worked for us since Sir Brian used it to extend the career of God. And would any manager change their system that drastically for Ross McCormack?

I think the most damning indictment of him overall as a footballer is that he hasn't been able to get a sniff of a squad place for a poor Scotland team.

In my opinion he was a bad buy for the club. It's almost like we looked at the previous season's scoring charts and said "we'll have him" with no thought to whether he is a truly productive player in a proper team.

So, there you have it, my very non-biased football analysis of Ross McCormack! :3: :6: :8:

Not necessarily disagreeing - there’s no doubt he was a panic buy - but could you elaborate on the point about his goal scoring record excluding free kicks and penalties?

In the 3 seasons before we signed him he was averaging over 23 goals a season so if his record from open play is only average he must have scored a hell of a lot of penalties or free kicks

JuanPabloAngel - 26/1/2018 13:30

wittonite - 25/1/2018 21:55

Interesting read, sorry dont know how too link.

If you copy the address of the website from the address bar (highlight, right click, copy) and then paste (right click, paste)into a comment, that should do.

Sorry, not meaning to be patronising - not sure how much you don't know! :14:
Patronise all you like JPA its the only way I learn. Thanks.