The Relegation Thread | Vital Football

The Relegation Thread

C_Latic

Vital 1st Team Regular
Here's the state of play as it stands. Burton well on their way to safety but for everyone else it's tighter than a duck's arse!

18th Burton P32, GD (-16), 37 Points
19th Bristol Rovers P33, GD (-19), 33 Points
20th Wigan Athletic P34, GD (-23), 33 Points

21st Northampton P34, GD (-21), 32 Points
22nd Swindon P34, GD (-22), 31 Points
23rd Wimbledon P32, GD (-24), 30 Points
24th Rochdale P34, GD (-22), 28 Points

All those 0-5 spankings may come back to haunt us regarding goal difference. Safe to say, next Tuesday is absolutely massive. If ever a match could be described as "must not lose" it's that one. Wrap Evans and Lang up in cotton wool!

It's thought provoking that we have lost to all of the bottom 4 🙄
That said Sheridan's doing a great job at Swindon ! One of the few pleasing departures from our club this season.
He dubbed his 2 CBs on 89mins tonight in the derby against Oxford then refused to do the presser - loving his work - Swindon Dan's calling him the Sheridactyl 🤣🤣🤣🤣

All I can say is Thank God/Allah./Jehovah/Buddah/Yahweh/ANO that Sheridan left.

Richardson and Rioch were doing great after his departure, then had decisions to make in the transfer window. Those decisions took time to show a return ....... but now they are.

I wouldn't take him back in an era of Sundays !

It's thought provoking that we have lost to all of the bottom 4 🙄
That said Sheridan's doing a great job at Swindon ! One of the few pleasing departures from our club this season.
He dubbed his 2 CBs on 89mins tonight in the derby against Oxford then refused to do the presser - loving his work - Swindon Dan's calling him the Sheridactyl 🤣🤣🤣🤣
Their fans are fuming. Listened to the radio after our game. All their fans want him out (and the chairman but they always want him out 🤣)

Here's the state of play as it stands. Burton well on their way to safety but for everyone else it's tighter than a duck's arse!

18th Burton P32, GD (-16), 37 Points
19th Bristol Rovers P33, GD (-19), 33 Points
20th Wigan Athletic P34, GD (-23), 33 Points

21st Northampton P34, GD (-21), 32 Points
22nd Swindon P34, GD (-22), 31 Points
23rd Wimbledon P32, GD (-24), 30 Points
24th Rochdale P34, GD (-22), 28 Points

All those 0-5 spankings may come back to haunt us regarding goal difference. Safe to say, next Tuesday is absolutely massive. If ever a match could be described as "must not lose" it's that one. Wrap Evans and Lang up in cotton wool!

I disagree that Burton are out of this just yet. The new manger bounce usually starts to fade around now and they are not that far ahead of the chasing pack. They could still be dragged back into it with a couple of bad results as could Shrewsbury and MK Dons.

For me it is still very much up in the air.

We just need to keep up the good work. And hopefully be ok. Still a big ask. As one or two teams have games in hand Next Tuesday. Is massive for us

To me mate we have 12 cup finals. At this time of the season momentum is all and we usually get this right. Look at the teams showing form at the moment and you look at Burton obvs...then Rovers and Northampton picking some points up with Rochdale, Don's and Swindon struggling. We maybe on the charge, time will tell but it really is about doing it at the right time...and that time is now.

To me mate we have 12 cup finals. At this time of the season momentum is all and we usually get this right. Look at the teams showing form at the moment and you look at Burton obvs...then Rovers and Northampton picking some points up with Rochdale, Don's and Swindon struggling. We maybe on the charge, time will tell but it really is about doing it at the right time...and that time is now.
Need to throw rubbish all over the pitch pre match and at h/t on Tuesday to distract the Wombles !
Another away day win would be fantastic a draw would be OK too.

Have always wondered why its 4 up and down between L1 and L2 - anyone know why there is this anomaly ?

5 wins from 12, 42% win rate from the remaining games would put us on 48 and probably be enough to be safe. 4 wins and 2 draws could be enough aswell.

Just need to carry on being positive, as we're a threat going forwards. We've matched or bettered Peterborough, Lincoln, Charlton and the recent wins added to that should give the team good confidence going into the final 12 games.

Have always wondered why its 4 up and down between L1 and L2 - anyone know why there is this anomaly ?

It should be 3 up 3 down in every league. National league being 2 up used to be due to stadium sizes, certain teams relegated from the national league would stay up because of there stadium size. Teams from north/south couldn't meet the requirements to play in the national league. Same to be capable of playing in the efl minimum seating requirement. But i've no idea why l1 to 12 is 4 up/down.

Last edited by a moderator:
I disagree that Burton are out of this just yet. The new manger bounce usually starts to fade around now and they are not that far ahead of the chasing pack. They could still be dragged back into it with a couple of bad results as could Shrewsbury and MK Dons.

A new manager bounce lasts about five games tops. Burton have eight wins in their last ten games. Four points above us with a better goal difference and two games in hand. I admire your optimism, but they are very much safe. Fingers crossed they secure it soon and half their eyes firmly on their holidays before they come to us at the end of April.

Historically (pre greed league) there were 22 in each of the top 2 leagues and 24 in the 2 lower divs ....that’s when it maybe made more sense to have 4 up and down between the two ‘24 team divisions‘

Now it should be either 3 or 4 up and down between Championship and Leagues 1 and 2.....whether it’s 3 or 4 can be debated but not sure there is any justification for them continuing to be different?

I think Burton have improved a lot under Hasselbiank rather than it just being a bounce, they are a different team now so i expect they will grind out enough points to survive in the remaining games. I think MK and Shrews have enough of a cushion to get over the line even if they go on bad run.

I think it's most likely going to be 4 from 6 now.

I think Burton have improved a lot under Hasselbiank rather than it just being a bounce, they are a different team now so i expect they will grind out enough points to survive in the remaining games. I think MK and Shrews have enough of a cushion to get over the line even if they go on bad run.

Hopefully tics plus 1 to stay up.
For me it's 2 from 3 to stay up - us, Wimbledon (though a wim for us next week would wipe that) and Joey's Pirates.
Sending Swindon and Sheridan down would be wonderful Latics irony

All I can say is Thank God/Allah./Jehovah/Buddah/Yahweh/ANO that Sheridan left.

Richardson and Rioch were doing great after his departure, then had decisions to make in the transfer window. Those decisions took time to show a return ....... but now they are.

I wouldn't take him back in an era of Sundays !

I respected Sheridan for coming in and giving it a go under difficult circumstances and he has plenty of L1 survivals on his cv in the past but it certainly wasnt working here and he wasnt showing signs that he'd be a good option for someone else.

So for one our relegation rivals to take our struggling manager for themselves seemed like a total lose lose situation for them. Admin were never going to move him on so if Swindon didnt take him we wouldve been stuck with him. It was a reprieve that defied logic.

The Swindon chairman i believe owned the Irish club that released Sheridan to move to us last summer as he wasnt doing that well there eithet, so it really seemed a bizarre decision.

Genuinely feel sorry for their fans as we've been there when our chairman blatently hires the wrong manager and the fan base are powerless to divert to impending disaster.

Don't think MK Don's are out of this relegation battle either, their current position makes them look safe, but they are on as bad run of form as anyone in the division, with teams below them in much better form, it's often the teams just above the supposed relegation battle who aren't up for the scrap come the run in.

You are possibly right, as is CL, however I think it is optimistic to say that they are safe when they are only 5 points clear of the drop. It only takes a couple of players to either lose form or get injured and results can turn round.

JFH has done a good job and I admit that they look to have turned their season around but both us and Bristol have had decent results of late and are in a position were a win and a draw could see us being level with them if they do falter.

If they continue in the form they have shown then a mid table finish would be the outcome for Burton. There is though, every season, one or more teams that lose form late on in the run in and MK Dons certainly aren't ripping up trees at the moment. The form table has them in 21st place having lost four out of six and only picking up 4 points from the last 18. Plymouth are having a similar run in but I think the 45 points they already have will keep them safe even if they fail to win another game all season.

My prediction for the drop, based on current form would be the four in those places at present, Rochdale, Wimbledon, Northampton with us condemning Swindon to the drop in the final game.

I respected Sheridan for coming in and giving it a go under difficult circumstances and he has plenty of L1 survivals on his cv in the past but it certainly wasnt working here and he wasnt showing signs that he'd be a good option for someone else.

So for one our relegation rivals to take our struggling manager for themselves seemed like a total lose lose situation for them. Admin were never going to move him on so if Swindon didnt take him we wouldve been stuck with him. It was a reprieve that defied logic.

The Swindon chairman i believe owned the Irish club that released Sheridan to move to us last summer as he wasnt doing that well there eithet, so it really seemed a bizarre decision.

Genuinely feel sorry for their fans as we've been there when our chairman blatently hires the wrong manager and the fan base are powerless to divert to impending disaster.

I thought the same thing when he initially came in but it clearly wasn't working & I thought that the attitude he portrayed publicly during that Chorley game was disgusting & smacked of someone who, quite frankly, wasn't in the least bit interested

Quite why Swindon's owner headhunted him is anyone's guess