The Relegation Thread | Page 2 | Vital Football

The Relegation Thread

Don't think MK Don's are out of this relegation battle either, their current position makes them look safe, but they are on as bad run of form as anyone in the division, with teams below them in much better form, it's often the teams just above the supposed relegation battle who aren't up for the scrap come the run in.
If they carry on playing the tippy tappy in L1 with L1 level players they will get dragged in despite having Grigg up top

This has got to be the worse League One ever. Not one decent team in it. We should never have competed in it with what's gone on and the butchering of our club. I cant say who is going down coz you cannot predict any results in this crappy division. We will probably just suffer relegation but at least we have an excuse. We can only hope we go on a winning run ourselves coz we cant rely on the teams at the top beating the teams around us as it is that shit a league.

Dont see how other results went our way tbh, Lincoln and Donny should have easily beaten the Dale and the Cobblers respectively going off league positions. Swindon deffo went our way but that's expected when Sheridan is manager. Rovers v Wombles on paper an ideal outcome though if we finish behind them on goal difference and go down then a different scenario. We just need to put wins together and not rely on anybody . Let's hope for a win in the week hopefully coupled with news of new ownership and who knows. COYL

Wimbledon have three six-pointers and Charlton to play this month, so we need to accrue some points soon - cant see much of a return from the first half of April (Pompey, Donny & Sunderland). Hopefully Cooky will go easy on us when we host Ipswich.

Wimbledon have three six-pointers and Charlton to play this month, so we need to accrue some points soon - cant see much of a return from the first half of April (Pompey, Donny & Sunderland). Hopefully Cooky will go easy on us when we host Ipswich.

Pompey were totally outplayed by Salford today and Donny couldn't get past Northampton....wouldn't be giving up on those matches just yet.

To be fair those have been the type of games we've played well in and if we turn up and avoiding suicidal mistakes we can beat them again.

No teams at this level should scare us - it's just down to us going into games with the right mentality and that is what has been our achillies heal all season. But last 2 games hopefully signs that we are getting our act together.

You are possibly right, as is CL, however I think it is optimistic to say that they are safe when they are only 5 points clear of the drop. It only takes a couple of players to either lose form or get injured and results can turn round.

JFH has done a good job and I admit that they look to have turned their season around but both us and Bristol have had decent results of late and are in a position were a win and a draw could see us being level with them if they do falter.

If they continue in the form they have shown then a mid table finish would be the outcome for Burton. There is though, every season, one or more teams that lose form late on in the run in and MK Dons certainly aren't ripping up trees at the moment. The form table has them in 21st place having lost four out of six and only picking up 4 points from the last 18. Plymouth are having a similar run in but I think the 45 points they already have will keep them safe even if they fail to win another game all season.

My prediction for the drop, based on current form would be the four in those places at present, Rochdale, Wimbledon, Northampton with us condemning Swindon to the drop in the final game.

I had a look at Burtons stats yesterday it was something like 3 wins in 21 before JFH returned and 8 wins in 11 since he took over.

I thought bringing him back was a great move for them but i dont think anyone could predict that type of turn around.

Funny how a manager can be a perfect fit and a genius at one club and fail badly everywhere else. Seems like Hasselbiank and Burton just click.

I had a look at Burtons stats yesterday it was something like 3 wins in 21 before JFH returned and 8 wins in 11 since he took over.

I thought bringing him back was a great move for them but i dont think anyone could predict that type of turn around.

Funny how a manager can be a perfect fit and a genius at one club and fail badly everywhere else. Seems like Hasselbiank and Burton just click.
Jewell and Wigan another example
Not so much Joyce though 😉
Sheridan's still searching for his connected club ! 😂

Going to be hard work now. Is it 2 on the bounce for Swindon And here us thinking Sheridon would take them down.

We had got into a great position after MK and Plymouth even though we had luck on our side we showed some bottle at last and had a golden opportunity to pull clear against Wimbledon and Accrington. But normal service was resumed unfortunately. The team is not organised or motivated enough in the winnable games and more relying on opposition missing chances rather than us keeping them out. Ideally need a new manager in asap as Richardson hasn't got the answers. The lack of quality in this league means anyone who can do a half decent job at organising the back line won't go down - as Hasselbiank proved at Burton.

We can probably stay up with our last 5 games but you know we won't turn up for the crunch games.

Last edited:
We also can't comeback when we go behind. If we don't score the first goal, you might as well chalk it down as a loss. That is a big difference I think between us and other sides.

The defending against Accy was atrocious and we have replicated this
in other games, the amount of times we have conceded goals from
set-pieces is appalling.

The opposition know if they get the ball into our goal-area we are
at sixes and sevens, because we cannot clear the ball, it's basic football skills.

We have escaped relegation before, by the 'skin of our teeth',
the problem is we are playing with 'false-teeth in' this season.

The defending against Accy was atrocious and we have replicated this
in other games, the amount of times we have conceded goals from
set-pieces is appalling.

The opposition know if they get the ball into our goal-area we are
at sixes and sevens, because we cannot clear the ball, it's basic football skills.

We have escaped relegation before, by the 'skin of our teeth',
the problem is we are playing with 'false-teeth in' this season.
Agree with you
Can't see us escaping this one being honest
Good results for Northampton and Swindon
Will have to be a rebuild from league two
Also if new owners take over
I would bring in new manager now so he can see what he has if anything to keep
Rather than wait until end of season and not know anything about the squad

Agree with you
Can't see us escaping this one being honest
Good results for Northampton and Swindon
Will have to be a rebuild from league two
Also if new owners take over
I would bring in new manager now so he can see what he has if anything to keep
Rather than wait until end of season and not know anything about the squad

The New Management must have been squirming in their seats,
if they were watching the Accy match.

I bet they cannot wait to swing the axe to cut away the 'dead wood',
and prepare a new squad of players, who have the ability to play football
to good standard and bring back the good times once again to this great
Club, whose fans have been through the 'mill' these last few months.

See Oxford have decided to turn up tonight after rolling over for Northampton midweek.
University based w⚓s