The Referees Thread | Page 13 | Vital Football

The Referees Thread

Thomas and Collina deserved their status both excellent referees
A big part of the problem mate, celebrity status and I'm sure big part of why this latest batch of wannabe stars are like they are. Making stuff up on an almost weekly basis that has never been a problem before. I guarantee this next round of matches we'll see them start going to the screen and ignoring the advice of VAR
They should be seen and never heard about. Their own self-importance need curbing

Anyone here remember Roger Milford?
Great ref whenever I saw him - always a smile on his face and laughing with players whilst taking no shit from them.

I think that’s the key thing. If you can communicate effectively - without talking down to people - and explain your decisions and why you’ve made them, then it can tend to calm people down and get people to understand you better.

I see a lot of referees nowadays who just verbally push people away and refuse to talk to them as in ‘I’m the boss’. That can surely only infuriate players even more so.

The ref in last night's AFCON semi final was a bit of a character, ran like a baby gazelle over hot coals which made me chuckle.
However he handled the game well, explained his decisions to players clearly even when the initial call was overturned, rightly, by VAR.
Smile on his face when talking to individuals and even offering a hand up to players who were grounded.
Basically the complete opposite of our " it's all about me " refs

Anyone here remember Roger Milford?
Great ref whenever I saw him - always a smile on his face and laughing with players whilst taking no shit from them.

I think that’s the key thing. If you can communicate effectively - without talking down to people - and explain your decisions and why you’ve made them, then it can tend to calm people down and get people to understand you better.

I see a lot of referees nowadays who just verbally push people away and refuse to talk to them as in ‘I’m the boss’. That can surely only infuriate players even more so.
Yes, they've become robots with no ability to apply common sense and too frightened to make the real calls in case they get criticised by the pundits etc.

One of the most infuriating things they do now give penalties for deliberate handball when the ball clearly hit an arm not the arm to the ball. They seem to have rewritten the rules to suit the SKY brigade

What always amazes me is that the worst of the bunch always seem to end up getting into the leadership roles after they're finished. Clattenburg may not be everyone's cup of tea, and he's said a few stupid things in the media, but he was probably the best we had for a few years, yet we get clowns like Hackett and Riley.... :shake::shake:.
No doubt Kevin Friend and Phil Dowd will be in the roles soon enough....

What always amazes me is that the worst of the bunch always seem to end up getting into the leadership roles after they're finished. Clattenburg may not be everyone's cup of tea, and he's said a few stupid things in the media, but he was probably the best we had for a few years, yet we get clowns like Hackett and Riley.... :shake::shake:.
No doubt Kevin Friend and Phil Dowd will be in the roles soon enough....
That's so they can keep continuity and the same standards of shiteness :lol:. If they didn't they'd all be shown up for the muppets they are. Keep up GM :ROFLMAO:

Anyone
That's so they can keep continuity and the same standards of shiteness :lol:. If they didn't they'd all be shown up for the muppets they are. Keep up GM :ROFLMAO:
remember Maurice Fussey. He lived up to his name. He was very tall and ran rather like a preying mantis,all arms and legs. He was a real drama queen, sprinting( being kind) to even minor incidents. Maurice made the worst decision lve ever seen and that's saying something, having played football from ten to 35. Villa v The OWLS. We are giving Wednesday plenty of problems and a right wing cross ( Ray Graydon?) spears toward Andy Gray,unmarked with a tap in header(you know what l mean). Just as A ndy stoops to apply the coup de grace, a Wednesday defender barges into Andy. On the street, a prison sentence would have been appropriate. Mr Fussey, perfectly positioned on the edge of the box hesitates. Wtf is he waiting for? The long streak of incompetence waves play on. Happy ending,we win 2-1 l believe.

I'm trying Merd, I'm trying. But isn't it a fact that everyone knows they're all muppets anyway???

Things might be looking up... Jon Moss and Martin Atkinson are to retire at the end of the season.

According to The Telegraph, "The pair have both taken jobs with the Premier League next season, working for Riley at the Professional Game Match Officials organisation, but there is no role for Mike Dean. The longest serving of all the referees, who will also finish at the end of the season is also to retire, as Telegraph Sport first reported, will not have a role at PGMOL. It is likely that he will be courted by television, with punditry and reality shows interested."

All very well, but it begs the question, who will replace them? That Aussie guy Jared Gillet is shocking, as is recent appointment from the Championship Darren England.

I think we should as Vital Villa's resident refereeing 'expert' (sic) @sirdennis for his thoughts.

(Paywalled) https://www.telegraph.co.uk/footbal...es-martin-atkinson-jonathan-moss-will-retire/

Things might be looking up... Jon Moss and Martin Atkinson are to retire at the end of the season.

According to The Telegraph, "The pair have both taken jobs with the Premier League next season, working for Riley at the Professional Game Match Officials organisation, but there is no role for Mike Dean. The longest serving of all the referees, who will also finish at the end of the season is also to retire, as Telegraph Sport first reported, will not have a role at PGMOL. It is likely that he will be courted by television, with punditry and reality shows interested."

All very well, but it begs the question, who will replace them? That Aussie guy Jared Gillet is shocking, as is recent appointment from the Championship Darren England.

I think we should as Vital Villa's resident refereeing 'expert' (sic) @sirdennis for his thoughts.

(Paywalled) https://www.telegraph.co.uk/footbal...es-martin-atkinson-jonathan-moss-will-retire/

Terrible shame. Two high class referees and I will be sorry to see them go.

It's a real loss to the Premier League and I don't know how the game will survive now.

The Aussie was being touted as the saviour of the game in this country.
I remember reading an article about his no nonsense style, and his understanding of the players and the game.
What went wrong.?