The REALLY Interesting Thread - Innit | Page 39 | Vital Football

The REALLY Interesting Thread - Innit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Morning.

Need to choose Buddy's school by tomorrow midnight and still none the wiser. What a tough decision.

Went to visit another school today. It's CofE and does have morning worship every day, morning prayer, lunchtime prayer etc.... puts me off a little but the school seemed ok.

Not sure it matters all that much, if he's bright enough and has 2 atheist parents it won't take him long to realise it's all bull will it?

Got one more school to visit tomorrow.

So hard to choose.

Afternoon all...

Trip to Bristol and back so far today. Yes I know, things can only get better..... unless it's Stoke of course.....

Arrghhh this school thing.

Seems we have 3 choices.

1. A school that we like the look of and got a good 'feeling' for, that is a small school and has a very low teacher:pupil ratio......... but has a very high intake from Romany/Gypsie/Traveller communities including a mini bus service to their sites, and as such the % of persistant absence is double the national average.

2. A school that we've visited twice and all 3 of us like, but it's quite a large school and the teacher:pupil ratio is higher than the national average. Also they are talking about having a double intake this year for the first time which means Buddy's year group could end up being massive. We're worried he might get lost amongst the numbers.

3. A school we've not visited yet. Going tomorrow. Again seems a small school with small class sizes and good teacher:pupil ratio. However 1 in for (25%) of the children there are in special needs which again is far higher than national average.

They've all got postives and negatives so how do you possibly choose?

Worth giving Jonny G a call mate?

He teaches secondary kids though.

Serious question though, would you be put off a school if it had a high percentage of romany/gypsy/traveller kids?

I almost feel racist for thinking it's an issue, but it's a fact that they don't do very well at school and can be disruptive. It would be just like Buddy to make friends with the chief protagonist! lol

Same with the other school. I feel bad thinking it may be a bad thing that they have a high percentage of special education needs kids, but 1 in 4 does seem extremely high. And I can't help but think that kids with special education needs can also be disruptive. If 25% of them are like that then it worries me.

But then class sizes in those 2 schools are approx 18 kids per class.

In the other school which seems more 'normal' it's 24 kids per class.

Also they are talking about having a double intake this year for the first time which means Buddy's year group could end up being massive. We're worried he might get lost amongst the numbers.

Or maybe they will split the year groups (ie have 2 reception classes) and therefore a lower ratio, as is happening at Jr 2’s school now. He’s in a class of 18 - bonus.

Don’t sweat too much. Although it’s a potential hassle, if you’re not happy you can always move him. In fact, it’s often easier to move to a preferred school than to get into it by application.

He teaches secondary kids though.

Serious question though, would you be put off a school if it had a high percentage of romany/gypsy/traveller kids?

I almost feel racist for thinking it's an issue, but it's a fact that they don't do very well at school and can be disruptive. It would be just like Buddy to make friends with the chief protagonist! lol

Same with the other school. I feel bad thinking it may be a bad thing that they have a high percentage of special education needs kids, but 1 in 4 does seem extremely high. And I can't help but think that kids with special education needs can also be disruptive. If 25% of them are like that then it worries me.

But then class sizes in those 2 schools are approx 18 kids per class.

In the other school which seems more 'normal' it's 24 kids per class.

You are right to be concerned about the other pupils in the class. If the other students require a lot of the teacher's attention, there is no benefit in having fewer pupils in the class.

Based on the information you have provided, I'd select door number 2.

I almost feel racist for thinking it's an issue, but it's a fact that they don't do very well at school and can be disruptive.

There are a good few traveller kids at Jr 2's school, and to be fair, they are, by and large, well-behaved and hard-working. When they can be arsed to turn up. The main issue with them is their random attendance, which drags down the school figures and precludes an 'Outstanding' Ofsted rating - for whatever that is worth.

I just saw a Unibet comp on the Villa site offering the 'Best Seats in the house'.

I'm pretty sure these are the seats next to Fear.

So a) you have to try and see through Neil Cutler.

and b) You're sat next to Fear.

Trades Descriptions act anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.