The Rasslin Thread | Page 6 | Vital Football

The Rasslin Thread

Alright Rasslin fans, it's been a while.

Just reading back through posts - Fen I have only seen Jericho v Omega from Wrestlekingdom but enjoyed it immensely. Not that it was the best match I've ever seen but there is just something special about seeing Jericho in the NJPW ring.

I haven't really thought about the rumble but I'll play it safe and go for:

Mens: Roman Reigns (to set up match where he overcomes brock at WM, boooo). Maybe Bryan as a surprise rank outsider?

Womens: Ronda Rousey surprise entrant and winner maybe? ends up facing Asuka at WM. Oh but then I have no idea what Charlotte is doing. Shit I have no idea on the womens Rumble.

To be honest I love the nostalgic old school Raw stuff, great chance to reminisce. I will be catching that after work on Tues 23rd with a beer.

I've managed to truly f-up my mania viewing this year, moving house on that day as things stand so wont be set up to watch argh. Hope I can get an earlier date sorted.

FeNris - 18/1/2018 15:28

LyttleByLyttle - 16/1/2018 21:55

Anyone going to watch the Raw special?

If so do you know what time / day it’s on in the UK?

LBL it's Monday the 22nd. However, due to time difference it will air on Sky Sports@ Arena at 1am on the morning of the 23rd

Thanks

Skip_4 - 20/1/2018 20:16

Alright Rasslin fans, it's been a while.

Just reading back through posts - Fen I have only seen Jericho v Omega from Wrestlekingdom but enjoyed it immensely. Not that it was the best match I've ever seen but there is just something special about seeing Jericho in the NJPW ring.

I haven't really thought about the rumble but I'll play it safe and go for:

Mens: Roman Reigns (to set up match where he overcomes brock at WM, boooo). Maybe Bryan as a surprise rank outsider?

Womens: Ronda Rousey surprise entrant and winner maybe? ends up facing Asuka at WM. Oh but then I have no idea what Charlotte is doing. Shit I have no idea on the womens Rumble.

To be honest I love the nostalgic old school Raw stuff, great chance to reminisce. I will be catching that after work on Tues 23rd with a beer.

I've managed to truly f-up my mania viewing this year, moving house on that day as things stand so wont be set up to watch argh. Hope I can get an earlier date sorted.

It's in Philly though Skip, surely Vince isn't stupid enough to give Roman the win here? There would be a riot if that were to happen. In fact if Cena won, I'd expect a fan revolt also. Dbry coming out would be a monstrous pop, only a CM Punk return would be louder IMO.

I have been a tad disappointed with the nostalgia episodes of recent years. The Raw 1000 was actually a bad show, with the convenient retcon that DX were responsible for the attitude era (due to the fact that Austin couldn't make it that night).

I am looking forward to this though with the simulcast from the Manhattan and Barclays center.

I am praying for all sanity and hope that Taker announces his retirement (Enough is enough!).

Got round to watching Raw25 last night, seemed appropriate given that’s the usual night it was on.

Not really sure it was worth the effort in all honesty.

Not many highlights and when Cena came out I realised why the current product is so poor and turned me away many many years ago.

Most of them have not aged well and it’s never nice to watch your heroes in such a poor state.

The biggest let down was the absence of Mick Foley...the individual involved in the most pivotal moment of the Attitude era. Regardless of prior commitments it was not the same without him.

Plus no Dwayne or Brett = WTF.

LyttleByLyttle - 27/1/2018 23:20

Got round to watching Raw25 last night, seemed appropriate given that’s the usual night it was on.

Not really sure it was worth the effort in all honesty.

Not many highlights and when Cena came out I realised why the current product is so poor and turned me away many many years ago.

Most of them have not aged well and it’s never nice to watch your heroes in such a poor state.

The biggest let down was the absence of Mick Foley...the individual involved in the most pivotal moment of the Attitude era. Regardless of prior commitments it was not the same without him.

Plus no Dwayne or Brett = WTF.

The irony is the current product is better than it was during previous major raw moments. I.e. Raw 100 and Raw 15 but this show was just bad. Foley's absence was sad but not totally beyond saving and technically speaking Bret was not a WWE talent during the Attitude Era. What stank for me was the opportunity they had to really put on a good show with the two venues they totally stank up both places with paint by numbers booking instead of being creative. What stinks even more is that they knew they could have done it but chose not to :(

So.. Have we had a chance to catch the Rumble and Takeover yet chaps. I wont spoil a thing but I am a happy camper right now.

I would've been asking for a refund if I'd been at the Manhattan centre, the place looked amazing but boy were the fans shortchanged! Just look at some of the fan vids on youtube to see what they thought about it!

Takeover: Gargano vs Almas was something else, I can't remember the last time I enjoyed a WWE match as much as this. Rest was ok with the AoP vs Undisputed probably being my 2nd favourite.

I knew I had the men's Rumble wrong when it was announced that the winner could choose their champion to face. This clearly meant they were going to set up Nakamura - AJ while being able to save Reigns - Lesnar and not have the Philly crowd take a giant shit on Roman. Mysterio is in the best shape I have seen him for years, I couldn't actually believe it was him.

I actually enjoyed the women's rumble more as it had a lot of nostalgic returns (I love that shit). The only downside for me was Ronda turning up, looking a bit of a dumbass rather than a killer, and er, doing some overly long pointing.

Solid enough show overall, not spectacular but great by recent standards.

Roll on Mania!

Fair points Skip. Hard to disagree, but seriously Nakamura is literally the only person who looks cool pointing at a Mania sign. I am sick to death of the pointing at it in general though! We are Wrestling fans FFS, we know what wrestle bastard mania is god damnit!

The Gargano Almas match was just ... wow!... wow wow wow. In ring story telling at its best. I also love the stuff with Ciampa attacking him this week and that heat he is getting is real nuclear heel heat. Whod of thunk it? With nuanced story telling and a proper arc someone is getting a legit heel reaction from the crowd.

All in all though. Roman BS aside.. I am just so chuffed we are getting this:

You’re probably right about Brett but I always considered him to be the catalyst for what the era became.

Part of me looks at the NWO and considers that too, to be part of the Attitude era. I know that’s not strictly true it’s just my reinterpretation of history. I don’t ever recall the phrase “too sweet” on Raw during the Attitude era?

I never saw Raw 100 or 15 but will make the time to do so.

I genuinely have no love or interest for the current product, the only chance it has would have been if my son got sucked in but even he would prefer to watch a Raw episode from 20 odd years ago than what’s available now.

The good old rasslin thread in need of a bump.

Anyone catch Fastlane? Mania, Takeover, and the best Raw of the year nearly upon us, we must have something to talk about!

Lots happening for sure Skip. Takeover card has already been leaked and I have to say on paper it looks like the strongest one the'yve ever done. Look at me I'm actually hyped for the entire card because they got me invested with sensible booking and storylines (take note Vince!)

Andrade “Cien” Almas vs Aleister Black (NXT Championship Match)

Ember Moon vs Shayna Baszler (NXT Women’s Championship Match)

Kyle O’Reilly and Adam Cole vs The Authors of Pain vs Pete Dunne and Roderick Strong (NXT Tag Team Championship Match / the winner receives the Dusty Rhodes Tag Team Classic trophy)

Ricochet vs Adam Cole vs Lars Sullivan vs The Velveteen Dream vs Killian Dain vs EC3 (6-Man Ladder Match to crown the first NXT North American Champion)

Johnny Gargano vs Tomasso Ciampa (Unsanctioned Match)

Really looking forward to the Gargano Ciampa match. Nice they are adding a midcard belt and at this stage Velveteen Dream needs it more than the others I feel.

I actually cannot believe how much i do not give a shit about the main roster these days. How can the booking be that bad? It makes no sense. The rumour is that Zayn and Owens will be pushed into the Battle Royal. So you have two guys working in the main event picture on Smackdown for 8 months and you blow it off by having them in a throw away match at your biggest show of the year? Strowman, arguably your most organically over babyface literally has no program going into this thing, which is baffling to me.

As you say though we have lots to look forward to. Takeover is a sure fire home run and if they are given the time I think Shin and AJ will steal the show, then we have the crazy post Mani crowds to deal with.

On a side note, did you hear the rumour regarding the Indy show the Codee and the Bucks are promotion (the one where they hope to fill 10,000 seats). They've chosen Chicago and the smart money is that CM Punk is making an appearance (not entirely sure in what capacity), but with that sort of name power they can easily do 10,000. Imagine him v.s. Omega though! I can dream right?

Hi Fen, I've become a bit of a BC mark in the last year or so, I actually find 10 mins of Being the Elite more entertaining than Raw. Whether it's Joey Ryan flipping Hangman Page with his penis, or Kenny Omega in a frigging bear suit, at least I haven't seen it 100s of times before. That's what every Raw and Smackdown storyline feels like.

Even in a hot Rasslin city like Chicago, they will not do 10k without a special attraction. I would love to see Punk do something but they have been quite savvy here, they know they will sell tickets on the inevitable rumour alone.

How did NXT get so good?! All their talent gets plundered on a yearly basis (to be wasted on the main roster) and yet they always seem to rebuild and produce shows far superior to the main. Fantastic stuff.

I agree with you on the storylines, if I wasn't a lifelong fan I don't think I'd give much of a shit about mania this year, the build has been non-existent. So much talent and so little clue. We only got AJ vs Nakamura because the fans made it very clear that's what they wanted. I'm surprised it isn't AJ vs Baron Corbin, with Nakamura lost in some multi-man match.

Ronda Rousey and her pointing makes me want to sleep. And I swear if I see one more idiot pointing at the mania sign I'm boycotting this year. It's been done to death...and then some.

BIG NEWS!!

Daniel Bryan has just been cleared to wrestle again!

HOLY fook!! :10:

I wont lie... I did a massive sex wee.

I thought you might post on this, caught me off guard too!

I honestly thought he would eventually wrestle with ROH or NJPW, but never back in the fed.

So many possibilities but wouldn't be surprised to see him wasted just like all the other main roster talent.

I'm still more excited for takeover than mania but should be a cracking weekend (including Raw).

Afternoon chaps!

So did we catch the NXT: Takeover show yet?

Bloody hell it was a good show!

Waiting for those NXT, Mania, Raw and SD thoughts please Skip. I don't want to spoil anything.

What inspired me to check the rasslin thread...was it Mania - no...was it Takeover - no....was it Raw or SD - no.

It could only be...Titus O'Neil diving head first under the ring at TGRR. I'm still laughing now :grinning:.

Been a while!

So Skip?

Did you catch Takeover? They are smashing it out of the park right now. Gargano and Ciampa has to be the best storytelling in wrestling for many year and the matches! DAMN!

Gargano has to be the best all round performer in WWE right now in his match quality. A classic against Almas then two back to backs with Ciampa who has to be the best Heel in wrestling at the moment. I am loving it.

Velveteen Dream is a frikkin superstar in the making, this kid has it all and had a great match against (who I consider to be a spot monkey) Ricochet.