The Rasslin Thread | Page 4 | Vital Football

The Rasslin Thread

One for you Skip.

William Regal interview. Love listening to this guy talk. Criminally underrated.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KW8ZClp0bJk

FeNris - 12/4/2017 09:41

LyttleByLyttle - 11/4/2017 22:31

Never realised how good a commentator Tony Schiavone was!

Yeah he is/was pretty damn good. I think the fact he was a WCW guy works against him in terms of the history books. I always liked his commentary on the cruiserweight matches on Nitro back in the day.

Also, towards the end of WCW when it really came off the rails, I always enjoyed his tongue in cheek 4th wall breaking barbs.

We're currently watching WCW from the inception of The Outsiders, I'm quite surprised by the quality of the commentary team having grown up on JR and the King...Larry Sybksko (sp?), Heenan, even Mike Tonay all good on the mic.

Bobby Heenan is not only the best colour commentator in the history of the business, I think he is the most naturally gifted performer the business has ever seen. He could literally do it all. His natural instincts were incredible and his mind always worked one step ahead. I love how naturally it came to him when dropping typical heel commentator one liners or quips. A real shame to see him in his current state.

Skip?

What are your thoughts on the Jinder Mahal situation?

A bit out of no where, but I kinda like it.

Sorry about the long absence Fen, my son went and broke his leg at school realy badly, a nice twisty break right through the tibia. With trying to keep up with work and be at home to care for him I have been way behind on just about everything (and it's not good for my nffc stress either).

I've had to switch to the disabled bay for the Smackdown house show too, he's got a full leg cast and in a wheelchair to get about, he's only 6 so the crutches are virtually useless. Not that I give a shit about switching of course, I just want him to be able to see the action and enjoy it.

I don't mind the Jinder Mahal thing at all actually, or Breezango getting a title shot. At least Smackdown are willing to try to overcome a lack of depth in the roster by building up stars, whether it works or not.

Don't know what to make about the roster we have to see now though, I'm not sure the New Day or Lana/Rusev will be on the show for a start. Also gutted about losing Alexa Bliss as she's my daughter's favourite right now and I don't mind watching her at all. But having gained Charlotte, Nakamura, Dillinger, KO and Sami I guess I shouldn't be too disappointed. That's got to be a good show surely!

Just finished watching payback highlights and raw, I actually thought raw was entertaining for a change. Mean Dean saying back to Bobby or Gorilla took me back and cracked me up! My kids are really into Austin Aries and the Hardy Boyz right now too, they clearly have good taste.

The crowd really didn't enjoy the house of horror abomination but Roman's beating seemed to cheer them up quite a bit. Solid ppv from what I saw, did you catch it all?

I thought Payback was actually a really solid show, which is often difficult to say for anything Raw related. I watched it with a friend who has zero interest in wrestling and is so cynical I could punch him in the face sometimes. That said by the end of the show he was really getting into it, so we may yet have another convert.

Thought the Owens Jericho match was really good and very surprised by the finish as I was sure Owens was going over. Alas though, it all made sense since he dropped the belt back to him. So it’s looking like AJ vs. Owens for the US Title, and I really cant wait for this match.

The House of Horrors match was a clusterfook and an entirely pointless idea. You can tell they had booked themselves into a corner with this. Firstly because they had announced it without any sort of promotion or exact description of the concept (a sign they had zero clue on what they were planning) and secondly because the suspension of disbelief was literally out the window. Apparently a 200+ pound muscular man can be killed by having a small fridge partially leaning on him. Woeful story telling and they at least managed to salvage something meaningful by having Jinder interfere.

Alexa Bliss is smashing it right now and I was certain Charlotte would become the first woman to hold both titles. Just a quickie on this, more leaked photos have surfaced this time of Charlotte. WWE is having to weather a shit storm right now.

Braun Roman was interesting and I am glad they are putting this guy over a total killer. I still think WWE are dropping the ball on Roman. They cannot possibly try and claim Roman is a babyface anymore for the simple reason that as soon as Braun started kicking the living shit out of him, Braun became over as fook as a babyface. FFS Vince turn Roman Heel! There is money to be made! Did you see the bonus content where Braun tried to attack Roman on the ambulance? This resulted in one of the funniest unscripted comedy moments in years. Think Sean Stasiak and the Rock from back in the AE.

Gotta say, I am pleased with how big of a deal they are making out of Nakamura, they are protecting him big time and hyping up the next Smackdown PPV on the back of it being his first on air match.

Skip?

Did you catch NXT and Backlash this weekend? If not I am refraining from spoilers.

Can't believe what I'm reading. Grown men watching wrestling, thought this had gone out with the Ark.

And I'm sitting here watching The Bill for the third time.

And enjoying it.

:14:

Wrestling peaked in the 90s ORF and was massively popular and mainstream. If you were in your teenage years it was a perfect belnd of violence, excitement, and er 'puppies'. I was already a hulkamaniac from the 80s (primary school days) but millions came on board in what was known as the 'attitude era'

Gone are the days of big daddy and kendo nagasaki, it's big business these days, a slickly produced and managed worldwide juggernaut. It's really not just for the young uns but I suspect very hard to get into if you didn't follow it as a kid.

I'm a wrestling fan and proud of it, it's less embarrassing than most of what goes on on Vital! Also I gave up trying to be cool many, many years ago, I like what I like and bollox to the naysayers (not aimed at you ORF, just in general).

It's also much more entertaining than watching Forest :17:

Don't disagree at all Skip, just a bit of gentle stirring on my part on a fairly quiet day. And I think you're right about the timing involved, I can remember the start of it but too late in the day for me as I was heavily involved with a biggish family and a demanding job in those days.

Just for once I'm glad I wasn't there to see the game yesterday. Still living in hope though!

:35:

Welcome back Skip!

Okay first and foremost. Have you seen the Tyler Bate vs. Pete Dunne match from the last Takeover? If not, holy crap on a crap biscuit go and watch it now. Match of the year IMO.

Also.. Nakamura clean over Cena. Thoughts?

I've hardly seen anything Fen, lot's of catching up to do - I missed takeover completely but will focus in on the Tyler Bate match.

I strangely enjoyed the Rusev vs Gable match from Smackdown last week, I could be wrong but I've always thought Gable could go far despite his size. Definitely not sold on Jason Jordan as a singles guy or as Kurt Angles' kid!

I'm glad Nakamura went over Cena but it just didn't feel like it was done right to me, his booking in general hasn't really felt right (I know that sounds weird). I did think he'd killed Cena with the exploder suplex though, jeez that was a rough landing!

I haven't seen much of Raw but noticed they're building up to a Rollins - Ambrose reunion which would be ok by me. I'm not sure Jinder is a good opponent for Nakamura and one thing happened on Smackdown that I really hate...Rusev "Nobody wants to face me at Summerslam" - then shits his pants when his own music plays followed by a feud out of nothing when Randy pops up. Just always seems thrown together and lazy when it's done like that.

The Gable thing is a dropped ball, I like Jordan but it just doesn't work for me. Part of me is hoping for a rectonned swerve where Gable ends up being the son, but honestly by that point they may have done enough damage with the angle, in which case keep him well away. I like how Gable carries himself for a smaller chap. He has he chops for it, but with how the company book people lately I don't trust them.

OH Bayley, how much have they ruined her? She was literally the easiest to book person on the entire roster and a license to print money. But, noooo they totally fooked her. Have to say the Toronto crowd were pretty tasteless booing someone with a legitimate injury (separated shoulder apparenly).

Cena Nakamura was great and that exploder was damn scary. Looks to be like Cena's error though. I am not sure this is the right time for Nakamura's main event debut against... Jinder of all people. Here's to hoping Nakamura wins, gets the the belt, holds it until mania and then we get an AJ Nakamura main event (I can dream right?).

Hey Rasslin fanz, not been here for a while (thanks for the prompt Fen).

Unfortunately our boy has lost interest and there ain't enough hours in the day for me to justify watching it on my Jack, two things though:

1. Pleased to see Flair get through his issues;
2. Sexy Star should never be allowed in the ring again.

I ain't dead yet muthafookers.

Agreed on the Sexy Star LBL. AAA should be blackballing her. It's not even so much what she did, it's her response after that seems to to be the worst part.

If you get a chance to dip in again LBL. You have to see the Bate vs. Dunne match from Takeover: Chicago. Tis fookin excellent.

Not long back from an extended break in the states, unfortunately no rasslin events (apart from NXT) close enough to us to catch, my daughter was desperate to get a good sign going for tv as well.

I've been trying to get back into the last few weeks of tv I've missed so just wanted to comment on a few notable things;

I can't believe Vince is taking bumps at his age, I know it must be good for ratings and KO is a good worker but I just don't think Vince should be doing that!

I enjoyed the controversial Cena/Reigns back and forth, not a great fan of either but Cena exposes Reigns lack of mic skills so much it's just embarrasing.

Is it over for Enzo? If he's as unpopular backstage as reported surely he's a drop in merch sales away from being done. He can't touch Neville in the ring, I think it could be a painful watch.

Not much going on with the women but I though Nia looked smokin hot when she came out for commentary with Bliss. Weird I know.

The No Mercy card is looking decent imo and I hope we can get starrcade on the network at least. I miss some of those WCW ppvs, let's get halloween havoc back next!

Fear not I am still alive.

Yeah the product is pretty pants on head terrible at the mo. Watch HiTC last night and the Usos vs. New Day match was bloody awesome.

I think they are teasing a Nakamura AJ match at mani (please god let it be true!) but then I don't think Vince wants anything overshadowing his hardon for the predictable Reigns Brock main event.