The potential road to victory | Page 3 | Vital Football

The potential road to victory

Fantastic win!!!

You know, with two games in hand over Hull, and having them to play along with Peterborough....it's not beyond the realms of possibility we can still do this.

Fantastic win!!!

You know, with two games in hand over Hull, and having them to play along with Peterborough....it's not beyond the realms of possibility we can still do this.
It’ll be difficult - 5 wins minimum, probably have to win all 6.

Burton (A)
Hull (H)
Shrewsbury (A)
Peterborough (A)
Charlton (A)
Wimbledon (H)

Wouldn’t consider any of them easy win games given form, league position, what’s a t stake, whether they’re just an average team who seem to always do well against teams you’d expect to beat them (Shrewsbury)

Why are people allowing themselves to get carried away?

At this stage what matters is securing a play off place - I don't care what the finishing position is providing the team is in decent form going into them as home advantage counts for nothing at the moment.

Automatic promotion is highly, highly unlikely and not even worth serious consideration.

For those that think it's on, you can get 10/1 from Bet365 so dip your bread.

For comparison Hull are 1/250 and Peterborough 1/12.

At this stage what matters is securing a play off place - I don't care what the finishing position is providing the team is in decent form going into them as home advantage counts for nothing at the moment.

Automatic promotion is highly, highly unlikely and not even worth serious consideration.

It’s incredibly unlikely and I think everyone knows that. No reason people can’t dream and hope though.

Exactly - autos are barely worth mentioning at this stage but we'd all love to beat both Posh and Hull and before you play them you have to believe that's possible albeit the run required is highly improbable.

The absolute beauty of supporting your team is dreaming about the improbable and the hope that goes with it. It is the hope that ultimately crushes you but what the hell you ride the ride.
5 years ago pre DC the odds of us being 3rd in League One were a damn sight more than 10/1. They would be odds on us finishing top half of the pub league.

The absolute beauty of supporting your team is dreaming about the improbable and the hope that goes with it. It is the hope that ultimately crushes you but what the hell you ride the ride.
5 years ago pre DC the odds of us being 3rd in League One were a damn sight more than 10/1. They would be odds on us finishing top half of the pub league.

The other thing on this is that IF we beat Hull on Saturday and IF Posh don't win v Charlton then autos are in our own hands - that's as soon as this Saturday at 5pm. Two massive IFs of course but both of those outcomes aren't wildly unrealistic. So yes I am still dreaming, just a little at 11am on Weds 21st April.

In context I'd be gutted if we miss out on the POs now which feel so close.

If we win another 5 on the spin, which I absolutely don't think we will, it'll be a greater achievement than the 7(?) on the bounce at the end of 2016/17.

Especially since we have already won the last 3, so that would be winning the last 8 on the bounce.

I think we all know that is a pretty unlikely scenario, but if we do it, there is apparently a spare place going in the European Super League as a reward.

The other thing on this is that IF we beat Hull on Saturday and IF Posh don't win v Charlton then autos are in our own hands - that's as soon as this Saturday at 5pm. Two massive IFs of course but both of those outcomes aren't wildly unrealistic. So yes I am still dreaming, just a little at 11am on Weds 21st April.

In context I'd be gutted if we miss out on the POs now which feel so close.
Yep me too, but to be honest after 60 minutes v Blackpool I had accepted we had hit the wall and we would drift away and finish out of the play offs. That was only 5 hours of football ago.

That's not like you to be so pessimistic, johnolbe. :lol:

Too true, I had accepted the football gods were against us but it’s a further reminder that our football club in our present guise should never be written off.
Lesson learnt and wrist slapped.
By the way Notty I think you are way over the top with the vitriol directed towards Norfolk, I am also very disappointed as I thought your worst outbursts were always reserved for me.

I think we can all but cement a PO place on Saturday if Portsmouth lose v Bristol R and we win. We'll know whether that's possible when we kick off because Pompey play at 1pm. Donny are the only other team that could match us on points* but would also need a 20 goal swing against us (which in 4 remaining games seems unlikely).

*Edit - that should be match us on points for 6th place - obviously other teams can overtake us without forcing us out of the POs.

Last edited:
I think we can all but cement a PO place on Saturday if Portsmouth lose v Bristol R and we win. We'll know whether that's possible when we kick off because Pompey play at 1pm. Donny are the only other team that could match us on points but would also need a 20 goal swing against us (which in 4 remaining games seems unlikely).

Plus, as someone noted last night, they are playing shitter than a shit thing from planet shit.