the posh v the piss poor | Page 8 | Vital Football

the posh v the piss poor

Although Morrison is a top, young defender it seems clear to me that Goode is a proper leader. Barking orders all match and organising all the time. We've desperately missed someone like that, could do with a couple more to help the young lads out.
I think also it's clear Morrison won't be with us next season and Goode has been brought in with the aim to convert to a permanent signing in the Summer, once his contract expires. So through no fault of his own, Morrison has fallen victim to being a loan player who isn't here for the long term and the club is being put first with next seasons players in mind.

Brilliant performance today (apart from a nervy 5 minutes), we got stuck into a very good side, went at them when we had the chance and defended (again apart from last 5) when we had to. Played some cracking stuff and the 3rd in particular, was a superb goal. Showed what we're capable of when we play.

Just on the tickets, I'd got my wheelchair/carer ticket and a U18's from the club, paid correct price, but when my nephew tried to go in, was told his ticket had already been scanned...bloke on turnstile said this happens all the time at Posh. Had to go to ticket office, prove I'd paid for his ticket and they issued a new one. No major issue, just 10 minutes of faffing about

I'm glad you enjoyed your few hours there. I've worked in the City Centre since 2015.
I worked for Perkins (in Manchester) for 20 odd years which caused me to visit Pboro pretty often….hardly a ‘teeming Metropolis’ but in all fairness a decent (if not sensational) City Centre,

I once ‘engineered‘ a pointless meeting so I could be there for a Tuesday night game on expenses) …we got beat 2-0 in a shite performance (Bruce Rioch era?) and the ‘pineapple headed Mon’ scored for them in a ‘Baltic’ defeat….one of our rare defeats at their hands.

Didn’t compare with my first visit on a warm April Saturday when we stuffed em 3-0 on our way to promotion….Les Brad and Graham Barrow among the scorers …a while ago mind you

We have been missing a leader captain all season we have now got one in Charlie goode all things said we should really be looking forward to next season maloney obviously has his faults he's a relatively new manager and hopefully he will learn from this season some really good young lads learning there trade the old guard will leave with possibly a couple could stay with some decent proper new additions should see us targeting promotion

My positivity had been really worn down by so many poor performances over the course of the season. I know we are so much better than we've been showing and it's been so frustrating seeing us play so far below what we are capable of.

But all of the little details that have so often been missing that have not allowed us to play well where on full display today. The pressing, movement, organisation, work rate, energy, urgency and tempo were all massive steps up compared to what we normally do most weeks. I don't think those attributes are down to quality of player, as much as they are down to what you do on the training pitch and the application - which is what's made it so annoying we haven't been doing it.

I wonder how much of this performance was down to the game literally being a "free hit" so to speak as no one really expected us to win.

I have said in recent posts that I think the brief for the season so far has been caution before performance and will continue to be so until we reach safety.

We are now 9 points clear of the relegation zone with a far better goal difference so I wonder if the mind shift is taking place and we will see a more adventurous style come to the fore. Will we see more of this type of performance in the upcoming games or will we still see caution being played until mathematical certainty is achieved.

I think the next three games will tell a tale.

Another thing I'd say about today was i didn't have many outstanding individual performances - but it was a great team performance with everyone playing their role well.

We attacked and defended, passed and pressed as a proper unit, it was the type of cohesion we've so often lacked.

No doubting Peterborough had an off day with some of their finishing but I think rather than us turning up and being lucky to capitalise on their stinker, we had a good game plan and executed it perfectly.

This division genuinely has nothing to be scared of, it's just down to if we turn up or not for any given game.

Another thing I'd say about today was i didn't have many outstanding individual performances - but it was a great team performance with everyone playing their role well.

We attacked and defended, passed and pressed as a proper unit, it was the type of cohesion we've so often lacked.

No doubting Peterborough had an off day with some of their finishing but I think rather than us turning up and being lucky to capitalise on their stinker, we had a good game plan and executed it perfectly.

This division genuinely has nothing to be scared of, it's just down to if we turn up or not for any given game.

Not sure it was an off day with their finishing as according to some of their fans it was business as usual and typical of the amount of games were they have wasted countless chances.

We have been missing a leader captain all season we have now got one in Charlie goode all things said we should really be looking forward to next season maloney obviously has his faults he's a relatively new manager and hopefully he will learn from this season some really good young lads learning there trade the old guard will leave with possibly a couple could stay with some decent proper new additions should see us targeting promotion
What I liked about Goode today was him heading and kicking everything away. At one point there wasn’t much on when he had the ball so he just fucking launched it high and far into the opposition half, it was aimless but there was nobody to pass to and he didn’t take any risks. I think we’ve been guilty of making silly mistakes trying to overplay, sometimes we need to get the ball further up the pitch rather than play out.

I wonder how much of this performance was down to the game literally being a "free hit" so to speak as no one really expected us to win.

I have said in recent posts that I think the brief for the season so far has been caution before performance and will continue to be so until we reach safety.

We are now 9 points clear of the relegation zone with a far better goal difference so I wonder if the mind shift is taking place and we will see a more adventurous style come to the fore. Will we see more of this type of performance in the upcoming games or will we still see caution being played until mathematical certainty is achieved.

I think the next three games will tell a tale.

There is always the 'coupon busting' team in L1. The side that should probably be higher up the league but drops points constantly against the weaker sides but then has the habit of beating the better sides. Peterborough and Portsmouth were often that side in years gone by. We are that side this season.

I think that a big part of our success against the better sides is the opposition tend to be smaller, less physical, don't press as hard and aren't as direct and that just suits us. We really seem to struggle with sides that want to make it a battle and we get bullied by brute force. But the likes of Peterborough, Oxford and Bolton want to outplay us and beat us with skill and we don't have to worry about getting getting out muscled as much.

Not sure it was an off day with their finishing as according to some of their fans it was business as usual and typical of the amount of games were they have wasted countless chances.

I overheard a couple saying post game the players were flat as a number felt they were due a move to bigger and better things during the window.

Even if they are normally wasteful in front of goal i think there was a couple of chances that you would still have expected them to score but that thankfully they didn't.

What I liked about Goode today was him heading and kicking everything away. At one point there wasn’t much on when he had the ball so he just fucking launched it high and far into the opposition half, it was aimless but there was nobody to pass to and he didn’t take any risks. I think we’ve been guilty of making silly mistakes trying to overplay, sometimes we need to get the ball further up the pitch rather than play out.

Absolutely, play out when you can clear you're lines when you have to.

Considering Maloney said he didn't expect Goode to be fit and he's not been able to train properly he had a great game. Hopefully we can keep him fit as he made a big difference today.

Even if they are normally wasteful in front of goal i think there was a couple of chances that you would still have expected them to score but that thankfully they didn't.

They perhaps didn't make the best of some of their opportunities, especially early on, but it could be argued, neither did we at times, Godo should have scored when he cut inside their defender in first half (would have been a fantastic team goal too that), we got that bit of luck at times, but we also played very well

Let me explain why, Stephen Crainey did most of the organising from the dugout today, it was working so the fans were taking the piss out of Tinkerbell. :thumbup:
You do know that I did not hear any chants about Maloney being sacked. Just thought you may have been leading the chorus of one.

Bad day for you Frank with Thelo scoring two and assisting with the other.

As crap as you say we are playing we have either won or drawn 2/3rds of our league games this season with a squad of kids and loan players. I think the Manager is doing very well and we'll on cotse for finishing mid to the higher end of the table.