the posh v the piss poor | Page 10 | Vital Football

the posh v the piss poor

Suits us? Or forces us? Probably a bit of both. Yesterday could have also been different if Jones had have spent the game on the bench.
Two fantastic assists from wide by Humps and Jones who were both dropped to the bench yesterday.
Jones hasn't trained all week according to Maloney, hence why he was on the bench. Also I suspect Humps hasn't done enough recently to warrant starting yesterday. Clearly it had the desired effect as he came on fired up and assisted.

Respect to Frank for replying and acknowledging a good performance...all we need now is for any permanently positive poster to accept when we play shit and equilibrium will have been achieved.
am sitting here in my back yard just waiting til hell freezes over. (some on heer mite need to google it)

A couple of things the whole team needs to work:
Discipline, I'm not having it that all refs have a vendetta against us, we need to accept their decision as moaning and arguing is not going to change their mind.

Weakness in tackles. We either need to man up or learn from Curtis Tilt in how to make a foul looking convincing.

It’s just thickness, lack of brains/street smarts. They don’t know how to pick up cynical/tactical cards, aside from Matt Smith. Their bookings come from stupid shit like arguing with the ref. Or they play too nice and don’t get booked at all.

Thelo scoring goals again. Water is wet.

For the umpteenth time (google it) there is only one player I have sniped at and that is the useless lump Magennis.

My main gripe is Maloney and his tactics (or lack of them) the players are playing under he's instructions, the players looked as though they were actually enjoying themselves yesterday and so was I, see how well we play when the shackles are off?

Now read the above slowly, digest it and give it a bloody rest, no one is sniping at the other players.

The useless lump that has started 6 of our last 8 league games. In those 6 we have won 3, drawn 2, lost 1. He has scored 5 including 3 pens. Now im no expert but i would say thats far from useless and gives him the best goal to games started ratio in our team. It also coincides with our best run. Hope he carries on being as useless!

The useless lump that has started 6 of our last 8 league games. In those 6 we have won 3, drawn 2, lost 1. He has scored 5 including 3 pens. Now im no expert but i would say thats far from useless and gives him the best goal to games started ratio in our team. It also coincides with our best run. Hope he carries on being as useless!
I can see him being here next season. Clubs won’t be queuing up for him at league one level. So he will probably take a wage cut to stay.

As for the referee he was an absolute disgrace. Up there with the two dickheads who have officiated our Stevenage fixtures. They need to recognise and understand that not every foul is a yellow card, but they are just incapable of managing a game. Throw cards around like confetti then ignore actual yellow card offences and so the game gets away from them and they make it much harder to officiate.
Apologies if mentioned elsewhere.

The referee wasn't the original referee appointed for the game.
Scott Tallis according to the EFL website but Daniel Middleton refereed instead
Not his best match and deserved our boos at half time.

Matt Smith gets booked nearly every game for holding someone back or rugby tackling them when they are about to break away. He held back a bit on the challenge that resulted in his 2nd yellow but the ref gave it anyway, a few minutes later one of their players already on a booking put in a worse challenge but the ref let it go.

I think we are able to keep possession far better when Matt Smith is playing but he needs someone more physical alongside him who can cover when he gets caught defensively. I’m not sure if we already have that in the squad (perhaps Shaw) but would hope we can either get one of the existing players to learn the role or have someone lined up to sign this summer. I saw Jay Matete joined Oxford on loan from Sunderland and was really impressed with him a couple of seasons ago, I think he’s the kind of player we’re missing at the moment in midfield.

Suits us? Or forces us? Probably a bit of both. Yesterday could have also been different if Jones had have spent the game on the bench.
Two fantastic assists from wide by Humps and Jones who were both dropped to the bench yesterday.
Jones was not dropped, he had a knock and it was decided not to play him unless needed

A couple of things the whole team needs to work:
Discipline, I'm not having it that all refs have a vendetta against us, we need to accept their decision as moaning and arguing is not going to change their mind.

Weakness in tackles. We either need to man up or learn from Curtis Tilt in how to make a foul looking convincing.
We are the worst disciplined team in the league with 95 yellow cards and 4 red. You'd think we had a team of thugs who get stuck in and bully teams when it's the exact opposite.

So many of those yellows weren't cynically bringing down a player or mistimed tackles, but soft silly fouls we had no reason to make or no chance of winning, arguing with the ref, kicking the ball away etc.

Some of the refs have been inconsistent and card happy for sure but we've got to take responsibility ourselves. Matt Smith is a prime example against Peterborough he was already on a yellow then cynically brought their man down after he'd been turned. If he wasn't on a yellow already then maybe you take one for the team but you're 2 up and risking a red and playing 20 mins with 10 men is far worse than just letting him go past him in that instance. Maybe the ref could've given a final warning and it was a soft second yellow but the intent was there from Smith and he gave the ref the opportunity to send him off. Terrible decision making that thankfully didn't cost us. We've got to be smarter.

If we are going to get that many yellows we should be getting a lot more benefit from those fouls than we are.

Last edited:

Magennis still isn't great but he has been a lot better recently than usual in holding the ball and it does make a big difference to the side. So credit where it's due.

Our whole game requires a player who can play back to goal and hold the ball so the teams overall performance often reflects our strikers individual performance. I don't think anyone else is suited to play that role in the side so I think Magennis is going to probably be our main striker until the end of the season - i dont think it's even that important he scores many goals if he is holding the ball well as that will allow the attacking mids to score the goals. So we need him to at the very least maintain his current level of form but really could do with him upping it a bit as there is a lot of room for improvement.

Last edited:
I was wondering if Shaw's game time has been limited because he is on loan and the limits on the number of loan player we can use.
And a greater need for a loan player in another position
Thought Shaw had been injured as well.

Since he first got into contention he's only been left out of the matchday squad twice due to injury so i dont think injury or loan restrictions have been a factor. He's featured in most games but he's been in and out a lot so I think it's just been down to manager chosing other players ahead of him.

We are the worst disciplined team in the league with 95 yellow cards and 4 red. You'd think we had a team of thugs who get stuck in and bully teams when it's the exact opposite.

So many of those yellows weren't cynically bringing down a player or mistimed tackles, but soft silly fouls we had no reason to make or no chance of winning, arguing with the ref, kicking the ball away etc.

Some of the refs have been inconsistent and card happy for sure but we've got to take responsibility ourselves. Matt Smith is a prime example against Peterborough he was already on a yellow then cynically brought their man down after he'd been turned. If he wasn't on a yellow already then maybe you take one for the team but you're 2 up and risking a red and playing 20 mins with 10 men is far worse than just letting him go past him in that instance. Maybe the ref could've given a final warning and it was a soft second yellow but the intent was there from Smith and he gave the ref the opportunity to send him off. Terrible decision making that thankfully didn't cost us. We've got to be smarter.

If we are going to get that many yellows we should be getting a lot more benefit from those fouls than we are.

I agree about making sure yellow cards are worth it.

However we get them at times for absolutely nothing. Saturday was the prime example. Hughes got one for a nothing foul and you got the sense it was just an automatic reaction to brandish one because 25 minutes had gone by. Its a contact sport and not every foul merits a yellow. Jones swiftly followed yet pulled out of the challenge and never touched the player. Magennis argued his case as he is entitled to and yet again it was just flashed nonchalantly in his direction. A minute later Jones gets absolutely wiped out. Stonewall yellow card all day long but only a foul given and everyone is going mad. It’s the total inconsistency that irritates me and these officials inability to actually manage a game of football. They wind players, coaches and fans up unnecessarily and then whine they don’t get any respect. Perhaps if they started to show respect themselves they may find it reciprocated.

However we get them at times for absolutely nothing. Saturday was the prime example. Hughes got one for a nothing foul and you got the sense it was just an automatic reaction to brandish one because 25 minutes had gone by. Its a contact sport and not every foul merits a yellow. Jones swiftly followed yet pulled out of the challenge and never touched the player. Magennis argued his case as he is entitled to and yet again it was just flashed nonchalantly in his direction. A minute later Jones gets absolutely wiped out. Stonewall yellow card all day long but only a foul given and everyone is going mad. It’s the total inconsistency that irritates me and these officials inability to actually manage a game of football. They wind players, coaches and fans up unnecessarily and then whine they don’t get any respect. Perhaps if they started to show respect themselves they may find it reciprocated.
Totally agree. Wycombe was a prime example, 3 times Jones is wiped out from.behind cynically, twice by the same player, their right back Grimmer. Then shortly after the 3rd wipe out, Jones is tight on a player who has his back to goal near the corner flag, he back heels the ball passed Jones and turns around but because the players where so close he runs into Jones chest and collapses to the floor, absolutely no way Jones could have got out the way, he didn't step into him to cause obstruction, yet Jones gets booked and it was only his first 'foul' of the game.

We have by far the highest number of yellows per foul in the division. I'd rather we did get meaningful yellows, were we've put in a strong tackle or fully taken one for team kind of challenges to stop a Breakaway. But one of the biggest criticisms is we aren't putting enough challenges in and letting players get passed easily. This is the least dirty team we've had as we aren't producing enough challenges or tactical fouls yet we have the most bookings I've seen us have.

Morsy and Williams would be sent off every game with the refs we have week in week out.

I agree we've had officiating where it's been like we've had 2 different standards applied, which isn't fair but it's even more reason we've got to make sure we don't give the officials an excuse as they seemingly can't wait to book us.

We are still going to get yellows, and some of them will inevitably be unjust but if we stop getting the daft ones that will probably reduce our card count significantly.

I think that ref's maybe even see our card count and assume we are dirty and find it easier to give us yellows.