The Politics Thread | Page 216 | Vital Football

The Politics Thread

To me Blair was just a tory in camouflage.

Yeah, not sure I'd go with that. Bringing in the minimum wage for a start isn't the sort of thing you would expect The Tories to do.

He filled the centre ground very well and won three elections because of it. This is the ground the Liberals should then have taken for their own, as Labour got more stretched, but they scored own goal after own goal, as we all know.

I'm led to believe there's a specific section dealing with eyesight problems that would go far beyond simple public endangerment, I'm trying to find it again, as even if it was only a couple of points and a fine - using the road for an apparent eyesight test with the associated risk of failing (when he could've quite happily toodled around the property on private ground) would be a definite offence.

1988 Road Traffic Act - S96:

“If a person drives a motor vehicle on a road while his eyesight is such (whether through a defect which cannot be, or one which is not for the time being, sufficiently corrected) that he cannot comply with any requirement as to eyesight prescribed under this Part of this Act for the purposes of tests of competence to drive, he is guilty of an offence.”

Without looking Raab is probably in pole position for the job if it came up, so you’re right he won’t.

He could become tarnished with the Johnson era if he isn't careful. He's been the most politician like of all those who have done briefings. He's remained calm, unruffled, has tried to smile at the right time, gone back to the press for follow ups and so on.

Rishi Sunak has done well also, again, remaining calm and confident.

Both have leant towards the duller side, which is what you need from a politician. You vote for the ones acting like clowns, and that is what you get, clowns. Trump/Johnson are perfect examples. They aren't politicians and as most can see now, they aren't a refreshing change, they are a fucking nightmare.

A few of the other younger ministers have done fairly well also. I think the sports and whatever he is minister was pretty awful, came over as a right wet lettuce, and Hancock is just out of his depth which isn't as spiteful a comment as it might look. He's had a baptism of fire and isn't really up to it.

The Tories are back at war with each other now, plenty hate Cummings, plenty love Johnson or say they do, to keep their jobs, and will do anything he wants, so will 'love' Cummings.

Just shows, it isn't just Europe that rips them up.

1988 Road Traffic Act - S96:

“If a person drives a motor vehicle on a road while his eyesight is such (whether through a defect which cannot be, or one which is not for the time being, sufficiently corrected) that he cannot comply with any requirement as to eyesight prescribed under this Part of this Act for the purposes of tests of competence to drive, he is guilty of an offence.”

But he was able to drive on instinct surely? So he's ok.

So in short, if as Cummings claims, he got into that car with family in toe to test whether his eyesight would stand up to a level of distance driving, he has unequivocally broken the law and maybe unwittingly admitted such.

If he got into that car...etc....confident his eyesight was fine, he has not broken the law but must accept, by return, he has wilfully and deliberately lied to the nation and admitted he again broke lockdown for no reason.

Can only be one or the other.

But he was able to drive on instinct surely? So he's ok.

Yup, I've told my dad to do 70 down the motorway next time he needs an eye test, it'll help save him a few quid - it's what a reasonable person would do whilst the economy tanks after all.

(I haven't by the way!)

He could become tarnished with the Johnson era if he isn't careful. He's been the most politician like of all those who have done briefings. He's remained calm, unruffled, has tried to smile at the right time, gone back to the press for follow ups and so on.

Rishi Sunak has done well also, again, remaining calm and confident.

Both have leant towards the duller side, which is what you need from a politician. You vote for the ones acting like clowns, and that is what you get, clowns. Trump/Johnson are perfect examples. They aren't politicians and as most can see now, they aren't a refreshing change, they are a fucking nightmare.

A few of the other younger ministers have done fairly well also. I think the sports and whatever he is minister was pretty awful, came over as a right wet lettuce, and Hancock is just out of his depth which isn't as spiteful a comment as it might look. He's had a baptism of fire and isn't really up to it.

The Tories are back at war with each other now, plenty hate Cummings, plenty love Johnson or say they do, to keep their jobs, and will do anything he wants, so will 'love' Cummings.

Just shows, it isn't just Europe that rips them up.

Yep, agree RE Sunak and Raab. Their personalities are suited to this, as Sturgeon, Merkel, the New Zealand PM and the likes have proven.

Bojo (not sure why I’m using his loveable pet name), has shat on a lot of people in the past, Mr Gove being one. What goes around comes back around, the day will come. Another public gaff like this and it’ll boil over.

So in short, if as Cummings claims, he got into that car with family in toe to test whether his eyesight would stand up to a level of distance driving, he has unequivocally broken the law and maybe unwittingly admitted such.

If he got into that car...etc....confident his eyesight was fine, he has not broken the law but must accept, by return, he has wilfully and deliberately lied to the nation and admitted he again broke lockdown for no reason.

Can only be one or the other.

Yes, just posted the very same thing on my facebook page. One or the other,, doesn't work both ways Cummings.

Gutted to hear his wife and kids have taken abuse though, that makes no sense whatsoever.

It simply can't be both - it's not defamation, it's strict legal fact in one instance, or not, in the other.

Simples.

And yes, if his kid/wife have taken any abuse that is absolutely out of order - if he's received threats, as he claimed, that is also out of order. I remember back to Rees-Mogg walking with his kid and taking shite - that completely nullifies any criticism of him if you take that step in my humble, as it makes you far worse.

I am honestly never going to like the man, but had he come out and said it was a difficult week, I wanted to get away from everything, but I fcuked up...sorry...crucify me later, there are more important things to focus on right now and my day will come.

I'd have called him a ****, thought worse of him, criticised him and wanted him to resign - but at least acknowledged he fronted it. This whole digging a pit with a worsening and changing story is different level though.

I would also question if it was safe to drive for 5 hours without stopping. He must have got pretty tired during the drive and risked impairing his judgement.

Small beer maybe, but a five odd hour trip with a 4yr old - after presumably eating their tea, if he arrived at midnight. (Let alone a wife who was so blasted from throwing up who despite the motion, didn't need to stop to chuck again? if we accept that changing story from symptoms). I've never known a 4yr old last that long!

Let alone as you say, stretch your legs, have a coffee, a bite to eat?

Small beer maybe, but a five odd hour trip with a 4yr old - after presumably eating their tea, if he arrived at midnight. (Let alone a wife who was so blasted from throwing up who despite the motion, didn't need to stop to chuck again? if we accept that changing story from symptoms). I've never known a 4yr old last that long!

Let alone as you say, stretch your legs, have a coffee, a bite to eat?

No-one has ever gone that far north and not stopped at Scotch Corner services.

It simply can't be both - it's not defamation, it's strict legal fact in one instance, or not, in the other.

Simples.

And yes, if his kid/wife have taken any abuse that is absolutely out of order - if he's received threats, as he claimed, that is also out of order. I remember back to Rees-Mogg walking with his kid and taking shite - that completely nullifies any criticism of him if you take that step in my humble, as it makes you far worse.

I am honestly never going to like the man, but had he come out and said it was a difficult week, I wanted to get away from everything, but I fcuked up...sorry...crucify me later, there are more important things to focus on right now and my day will come.

I'd have called him a ****, thought worse of him, criticised him and wanted him to resign - but at least acknowledged he fronted it. This whole digging a pit with a worsening and changing story is different level though.
https://www.theguardian.com/comment...se-move-on-johnson-statement-dominic-cummings

I wouldn't have liked it, but I think I'd have accepted that after some obligatory bitching.