The player who left thread | Page 79 | Vital Football

The player who left thread

I guess that would depend on if the new guys have a way to get around FFP in mind.

If they have deep pockets they will take the fine or so a deal over naming rights for Villa Park. It does not kick in until next March anyway so if they have trading money it gives them a load of time to find a way

Sir den - who knows ?

Would ypu have replaced Platt with Parker, Gray with Withe, Little with Shaw, Walters with Daley, McInally with Olney, McGrath with Southgate (midfielder), Townsend with Taylor, Staunton with Wright, Ehiougu with Barry .............

Get the drift

No one, and I mean NO ONE is ir-replaceable. I am bloody sure if Real Madrid can find a replacement fod Ronaldo, we can find one for Jack Grealish

Last edited:
No one is irreplaceable, but losing Grealish is still a substantial loss, one with an added bite because he's one of our own; we could be building our revival around him.

There's a deeper truth. Grealish made a big difference (we might not have made the play-offs but for him), but we could have done even better if we'd made best use of the players we've got in the final third. We don't build attacks fast enough or sharp enough. We rely a lot on something special, say from Jack, Kodjia, Snoddy, Albert.

With Jack gone we can only progress if we resolve that. Even if we lose no more players then we're back to where we were in the first half of last season, and we have to do better now than we did then.

Sir den - who knows ?

Would ypu have replaced Platt with Parker, Gray with Withe, Little with Shaw, Walters with Daley, McInally with Olney, McGrath with Southgate (midfielder), Townsend with Taylor, Staunton with Wright, Ehiougu with Barry .............

Get the drift

No one, and I mean NO ONE is ir-replaceable. I am bloody sure if Real Madrid can find a replacement fod Ronaldo, we can find one for Jack Grealish

Yes and nearly all those replacements cost money.

We haven't got any.

Sir den - who knows ?

Get the drift

On the flip side we've replaced Yorke, Barry, Milner, Downing, Young, Benteke, Mellberg and Laursen with absolute dross, which is why we are in the position we are in.

I remember when we sold Benteke for £32 million and everyone was like oh thats fine, we'll easily replace him with that money.... it's never that easy. Not in the modern era.

The really big clubs mop up all the very best talent. The rest are left fighting over scraps so when you unearth a gem you really need to keep them.

We won't be able to buy a player of Jack's ability in the next decade, we simply arent in the position to do so, and chances of being lucky enough to develop another one in that time are pretty slim too.

It's not so much that he's irreplaceable it's more what the situation of being forced to sell him and flog off bits and pieces of car parks says about the total incompetence of our owner and his administration.
I'll be interested to see who steps up and shows we have a player who can go past defenders, pull opposition defences out of shape and create space for the rest of our midfield. If we're relying on the other remaining first team regulars from last season I'm not holding my breath.
I hope the youngsters can show up.

Agree Ironside on both parts

The second , that is where I hope Green fits the bill. To me, he has looked the most exciting prispect I have seen, bar probably Daley, in tgat position in 35 years (since Walters)

It fucking tears at the heart having the club in such a shit state.

It wont be long after the start of the season and a few bad results before the supporters will be baying for Xia's blood, Dr X will do a Lerner and bury his head in the sand and go AWOL

(AWOL Absent With Out Lychees) :lol:

Was just about to reply and saw this.

Im staggered at what some fans see sometimes.
Was just about to reply and saw this.

Im staggered at what some fans see sometimes.
because the rubbish that SB served up is why we are in this situation.

SB wAnted to get rid of Grealish.
He has tried to buy a team rather than build a team.

No thought into the players he purchased whether they fit into any team style.

JG was on majority just playing on his own as their were no players on the same wavelength.

Bruce actually said last season he was going to build a team around Jack just before his kidney injury sidelined him until the end of November .
I'm not Brucies biggest fan but he's the best thing for us in this situation .
I'm sure he'd rather keep jack and get shot of half the team instead if it was up to him

I'm not in anyway a fan of Bruce but I very much disagree that he wanted Jack out. It was obvious from pre season last summer that Bruce wanted to build the team around Jack rather than get rid of him. He gave him the number 10 shirt and changed our formation to try and maximise Jack's impact. Then when Jack got his horrific freak injury we were scrambling round trying to find a replacement which is why we ended up signing Onomah.

Had a conversation face to face with Bruce, he most certainly did not want to get rid of Jack.

As for the rest of the debate. Said before, I think he needs to move on, he will be outstanding with better class around him, in this division I think someone will break his legs in the end, god knows they tried enough last season and Fulham tried again at the play offs.

He does need to finish and get a better final ball, with quality players making quality runs around him, he will.

I did an article last season asking if Jack might just be the player to gatecrash the world cup. Got a fair few dismissive comments but having watched England at the world cup bore their way through, with Alli, Sterling and Lingard all being much of a much and not that effective, I still think Jack might well have helped light up that team.

Hope we get a good price for him, hope he does well. I would have loved to see him blossom for us and we all know he'd loved to have as well, but thanks to mismanagement and all the shite going on, it's not going to happen. I don't think even if a takeover does happen, anything can be done to bridge the FFP gap without his sale. Lets hope something happens, but meh, looks pretty nailed on we are going to say goodbye.

Yes and nearly all those replacements cost money.

We haven't got any.

And that's exactly the point. It's all very well saying no one is irreplaceable but if we sell someone and don't replace them because we can't then it's a fucking problem.

Sorry. If anyone thinks selling Jack is ok then give your head a severe wobble. Look at facts .

Der!!!!!! If he's not all that why is he going to a premier league club at worst Leicester or at best Spurs?. Spurs btw a team challenging for the league and a regular in champs league. Yeah proper shit Grealish. That Pochittino is clueless when picking players and getting a team to be one of the best sides in Europe.
If he is considered that good by the likes of spurs then he is damn well good enough for a club in the championship without a pot to piss in who cannot afford to replace him with any player of any standard.

because the rubbish that SB served up is why we are in this situation.

SB wAnted to get rid of Grealish.
He has tried to buy a team rather than build a team.

No thought into the players he purchased whether they fit into any team style.

JG was on majority just playing on his own as their were no players on the same wavelength.

The above is complete and utter horse shit in my opinion

What will be utterly sickening is if we let him go for peanuts, which will do nothing to solve the FFP problem.

Well it might actually help FFP in the short term thats the problem.

If XIa is offered £30 million spread over 4 years, or £15 million up front which do you think he'll accept?

Bizzarely it's the 2nd offer that will probably take the pressure off the most.

it's just a crazy situation.

If we get new owners then I still can't see us keeping Jack but hopefully we'll be able to drive the price up a bit as we'll be able to accept payment in the usual structured way,

For FFP I don't think it matters how the spread goes - I think it's counted as one lump sum Deano. That's the not the issue, taking a lower fee for greater upfront payment is cash flow effect.