The Plastic Crisis/Environment Thread | Page 4 | Vital Football

The Plastic Crisis/Environment Thread

I remember a holiday as a child in Paignton with my parents. Mom was horrified when she seen an early morning street cleaner brushing all the rubbish into the sea as it was high tide.

They say that every bit of plastic made still exists. What a mess we've made.

They say that every bit of plastic made still exists. What a mess we've made.

Think this will interest you especially. Found out about these a while ago. Only just remembered it with this topic being bumped

Ecoalf unveils Shao sneakers made from algae and ocean plastic

The new footwear collection from Spanish fashion brand Ecoalf is made from recycled waste found in oceans and rivers.

Five old plastic bottles sourced from the Mediterranean Sea are used to create each pair of Shao sneakers. This discarded plastic is processed into a yarn, which is used to create a black knitted upper sole that fits the wearer like a sock.

The outer sole is made from a type of algae that grows in excess in lakes and rivers. Ecoalf transforms this algae into a flexible foam that permits easy movement, while benefiting the environment.

Cont: https://www.dezeen.com/2018/07/15/ecoalf-shao-sneakers-algae-ocean-plastic-waste/

Before cars were invented, the streets were full of manure and they couldn't find enough places to put it all. Now you'd have to pay big bucks to get a load of manure. I think we'll be in the same situation with plastic, eventually.

yep I'm sick to the back teeth of finding my wild game Squirrel wrapped unnecessarily in plastic
still 300 cheeses coated in wax Mmmmmmmm yummy

The idea of the passonplastic linked above is great. But the prices are ridiculous. £25 for a bottle that can be re-used? How many people can afford that/or would pay that?

Not totally sure on the beeswax wraps either, I get the need to get rid of clingfilm, but the explanation of what there are, at £20 a shot, is negligable. Re-usable? How long for? Etc

https://accessories.sky.com/catalog...ection=pass-on-plastic&category=beeswax-wraps

I do think people could be encouraged to use tin foil (and all authorities forced to recycle)

Agreed mate, although some of it was done 40 years ago (taking back empties etc) then 'we' as a society grew lazy, or were allowed to grow lazy.

Plastic is a by-product of the oil industry, so the sooner we all start using electric cars and stop using oil-fired central heating, the sooner the plastic industry will fold.
There are ways of using used plastic bottles and bags etc.
Shredding and compressing plastic into insulation for one, or remoulding used plastic into flashing, instead of using lead sheets.
They have made thousands of football supporters out of plastic already, or have I misunderstood the phrase.

They are testing it for making roads as well, linked somewhere in this thread, but obviously they do need to test, wait, see how it weathers etc before taking it mainstream.

Yup, the road surfacing was an interesting one but mention was made about micro plastics splintering off into rivers etc etc.

Not heard, unless I'd forgot, about flashing aspects - that could be a good one potentially.