The Plastic Crisis/Environment Thread | Page 3 | Vital Football

The Plastic Crisis/Environment Thread

I only just realised its not just the actual Item that is harmful to the enviroment its the damage caused in the actual production of the bags.
The electricity to manafacture etc

The Key to this for me is recycling plants make it pay to operate them on home soil not pay them the same to export our crap. By all means put a tax on one use items but use that tax to make Recycling plants worth operating gives more people employment makes better use of resources
and if it could not be done with private capital look at a British recycling plants option run by the government.

Spot on Merlin, we should be able to re-use and recycle so much and as you say, it would create jobs as well.

Just awful that MF

So much could be done so easily. That's what gets me. Plastic wrapped could be paper. Okay supermarkets worry about 'getting wet' so have a reusable plastic distribution bag for safety to ease that concern and so on.

Sadly need to remember the real cost of convenience don't we JF. Helps keep it real at points rather than just a tired/stale 'green issue' that Lefties bang on about.

Independently-owned cafe chain Boston Tea Party is to become Britain’s first to implement a complete ban on disposable cups, which will come into effect on 1 June this year.
The company, which has 21 branches across the South West and the Midlands, has said customers can bring their own reusable cups, take advantage of a new cup loan scheme or buy a cup in the cafe once the ban comes into effect.
Owner and managing director Sam Roberts described waste from disposable cups as “senseless”, and said: “Lots of coffee chains are making pledges about how they plan to tackle cup waste in the future. But theirs is a future which is too far away. We need to stop right now.”

https://www.independent.co.uk/envir...te-boston-tea-party-sam-roberts-a8319071.html

Sadly need to remember the real cost of convenience don't we JF. Helps keep it real at points rather than just a tired/stale 'green issue' that Lefties bang on about.

Indeed. I don't think anyone ever stopped to think until we got into a mess. Now as you say, we should be able to reverse this and quite quickly. The change in plastic bags law has had an effect. I did see something on facebook that the initiatives to clean the sea are working.

Just think the amount of plastic spoons, straws, q-tips, wrappers in wrappers, toothbrushes etc.

Baffling no one thought what would happen. Everything should be able to be recycled and we should get smarter with what we do with recycled plastic. So much demand for plastic that is needed, imagine for just one example if all drainpipes were made from recycled plastic?

Small step but a welcome one and if they can manage it I'm sure the really big boys can Col.

Agreed JF. It's not an insurmountable battle, the damage already done will take some time to sort but a line could be drawn to stop that damage getting worse. And loads of things that could be done.

So the real Issue is "We" have made this mess are we happy to pay to clean it up? If 1p were put onto Income tax it would raise a:-

1. A 1 percentage point rise in all rates of income tax would raise £5.5 billion

2. A 1 percentage point rise in all employee and self-employed National Insurance contribution (NIC) rates would raise £4.9 billion

3. A 1 percentage point rise in the main rate of VAT would raise £5.2 billion. the poor.

Now personally I would be happy to pay the extra penny now providing the money was spent on a recovery boat to first go to the pacific garbage patch and make a start recovering this shit.

Surely if we started other governments would follow....

https://www.nationalgeographic.org/encyclopedia/great-pacific-garbage-patch/

You'd think they could use recycled plastic for such things really wouldn't you?

Morrisons have now banned 5 p plastic bags. You can only buy reusable bags now from there at a minimum cost of 10 p. I don't know if other supermarkets have followed suit

Can't for the life of me understand why more aren't doing this. Watched something on this sort of use of waste years ago and yet still the UK haven't done it.

I think its a lack of understanding and ignorance from the general population. In Ireland they were called incinerators by activists and they make them very public issues. It seems like the ignorance is that they burn anything and everything where the reality is its only organic items.

We are lazy so lazy I don't think we should have recycling separators. I think we do waste-to-energy plants and make them act as recycling plants too whereby everything is sorted at the site. A 'waste to energy recycling plant' makes things a lot better.

The other issue particularly in Ireland is where to put them and it always seems like they pick stupid places for them. Lets put them in a scenic place by water or near a town, no lads put them out of the fucking way where nobody will see them.

Good points CDX. There is ignorance, this starts from young school ages and if we started educating them at an early age, it's surprising the influence they can have on their parents by nagging !

and yes, tend to agree, there is a big business opportunity and employment opportunity here, if things were done right.

It needs guidance. Looks like Switzerland have that guidance. Us? We have feckless politicians and there is a good argument to be made, as you have above, about the laziness of so many in society. They don't give a feck, I fear people will give a feck when it is too late!

Consumers drop their bottles through slots in the machines, mainly located in subway stations in cities such as Beijing, Shanghai, and Chongqing, and then the machine sends money to their mobile payment accounts such as WeChat, or they are given coupons for restaurants such as KFC, based on the weight of each bottle.

excellent idea

Bounced back up because there was a programme on last night on BBC 1 about the mess we've made of the planet.

Anyone watch it? I've got it recorded.